Do you use a scope on your 30-30? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a scope on your 30-30?

LarryD1130
11-04-2010, 07:31
I recently got a 30-06 that I want to put some nice glass on (any suggestions?) and I was wondering what I should do with my 30-30. Right now it has this old scope on it that I was considering replacing. I like scopes on my rifle because it helps me make out the deer better and take better shots. Now I'm kind of considering taking the scope off of it and just use the iron sights. I will have to go to the range and see how I do with just the irons but knowing me I'll probably put another scope on it.

bubba803
11-04-2010, 09:44
I used to have a scope on my Marlin 30-30. Now I just have a Lyman peep sight. Could never hit anything with the stock sights but I really like the Lyman. A scope along with Hornady LeverEvolution ammo can really extend the range of a 30-30. Last year I was shooting a 10 inch metal disc at 325 yards off a bench with the Hornady ammo and peep sight. Took 2 shots to get dialed in but after that, all shots were hitting metal. Switched to Winchester ammo and shot all over the place. I've thought about putting a scope back on but most of my shots while deer hunting are 200 yards or less. Whatever you do, I suggest using the Hornady ammo. That stuff is awesome!

vafish
11-04-2010, 14:44
4x fixed power scope on my Marlin .30-30. it was on the gun when my B.I.L gave it to me.

K.Kiser
11-04-2010, 15:25
Anything over 75 yards and I'm using a scope, no reason not to... No need for a high end scope, and on My 30-30 I just use a Bushnell 3x9 that I had lying around... I don't use My 30-30 over about 150 yards so no big $$ on glass, anything past that and I use a little faster bolt rifle..

Jonesee
11-04-2010, 16:38
Winchester Model 94. and, no, it has never had a scope on it.

All my other rifles do though.

mdhandyman
11-04-2010, 16:53
I got the Leupold VX-3 Riflescope 3.5-10x50 mm, on my 30-06

http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy307/mdhandyman/IMG_1064.jpg?t=1288911199

LarryD1130
11-05-2010, 09:41

That's a really nice gun. I think I'm going to get the VX-3 for my 30-06. The cheapest one I seen online was $460. I'm still not sure what to throw on the 30-30. I want something that is really good and I won't ever have to replace it and not break the bank. Three hundred at most. More like two hundred or lower.

EL COLONEL
11-05-2010, 16:36
Used to have a leupold vx ll 3x9x40 on a marlin 30-30 Awsome !

bustedknee
11-05-2010, 18:23
No, no, no, no, no, no, and no-no!

It throws off the balance and portability. They are short-range woods guns.

If you want to stretch your effective range by using a scope, put that scope on a rifle that will benefit most from it. Let's say a Ruger bolt-action in 308. Then you will have a brush gun 30-30 and a ridge-top 308.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/Model94collection.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d98/leflers/Old30-30s.jpg

It's my opinion.

jtull7
11-05-2010, 18:30
Not me. God designed iron sights for .30-30 lever actions.

I agree with bustedknee. Nononono!

What a bunch of sissies.

K.Kiser
11-05-2010, 21:47
That's just funny... A 30-30 has sufficient deer killing power to 150 yards or a little more... Go have a shoot contest at 150 yards with open sights against a scoped 30-30, or whether or not your bare eyest can pick a clean shot @ 100 yards through underbrush compared to 6x scope... And there's no such thing as a "brush gun" with any bullet weight resembling the size of a deer rifle cartridge, it's a wives tale... No deer rifle cartridge will retain a reliable flight path after hitting hardly anything...

mdhandyman
11-05-2010, 22:33
I food hunt .

bustedknee
11-06-2010, 11:23
.... And there's no such thing as a "brush gun" with any bullet weight resembling the size of a deer rifle cartridge, it's a wives tale... No deer rifle cartridge will retain a reliable flight path after hitting hardly anything...

There is such thing as a brush gun!

You are talking about a brush cartridge. Two totally different things.

A brush gun is short, fast, with not too much recoil but with enough power to kill deer and black bears efficently at "brush" distances.
A brush gun is easy to maneuver and fire offhand at running game at fairly close ranges.

You are correct about the cartridge. There have been lots of tests and no bullet will plow through brush then continue on in a straight line.

K.Kiser
11-06-2010, 14:10
10-4, I misread the intent of post...

Jonesee
11-06-2010, 22:09
That's just funny... A 30-30 has sufficient deer killing power to 150 yards or a little more... Go have a shoot contest at 150 yards with open sights against a scoped 30-30, or whether or not your bare eyest can pick a clean shot @ 100 yards through underbrush compared to 6x scope... And there's no such thing as a "brush gun" with any bullet weight resembling the size of a deer rifle cartridge, it's a wives tale... No deer rifle cartridge will retain a reliable flight path after hitting hardly anything...

You can drive a nail by hitting with a wrench too. But it isn't the most appropriate tool for the job.

If you re taking 150 yard shots, the 30-30 is not the optimal gun.

My 30-30 has a purpose and an intended job. So does my 30-06. The 30-30 doesn't have a scope, all the others do.

gruntmedik
11-06-2010, 22:28
I don't on my Win 94, but my 1895 45-70 has a 2x7 variable on it.

OJ
11-06-2010, 22:55
Not me. God designed iron sights for .30-30 lever actions.

I agree with bustedknee. Nononono!

What a bunch of sissies.

Count me in here - somehow a scope has just never looked quite right on my lever guns - for me, at least - I use Williams FP94/36 apertures on my 30-30 Winchester 94 rifles and remove the aperture to make it ghost ring (just hadn't done it yet on the Buffalo Bill one)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_2491.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/BUFFALOBILL94A.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/003.jpg

And a Williams FP71 on my 30-06 Winchester 95

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

And, the 95 produced these less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards when I zeroed the sights five years ago - shooting with just a fist rest on the range table.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/W95100yds.jpg

Works for me -

:wavey:

paynter2
11-07-2010, 08:09

Nice target - my eyes are getting pretty bad. I have a target like the red/white and can't see the middle. Did you put that black circle (another target) over the red/white? Or did you buy the target as seen?

I have no problem with someone putting a scope on a 30-30 - but I wouldn't do it on a classic lever gun. To each his own... If I were going to scope a 30-30 it would be a Savage bolt or a Remington 788 (my preference / also a bolt gun).

bustedknee
11-07-2010, 10:38
Guns are made for shootin'.

I'm happy to see someone else shooting their purty guns.

I have a couple WWII Commemorative Colt 1911's that I shoot. They look better than the average 45 and maybe that is why I shoot them better than the average 45.

NDCent
11-07-2010, 11:13
I had a couple years of letting early morning and late afternoon shots walk by when it was too dark for open sights. Yeah, I know your not suppose to be shooting before sunrise or after sunset. Anyway, with my eyes also getting worse with age I decided to throw on a 3X9 compact I had lying around worth more than the gun. I like being able to see and pick my shots better, gather light, and not to bulky. I can still use the iron sights too, but not as quickly as before. Overall I like it better with than I did without, although I did like it just fine most of the time without. If you mainly hunt from a tree stand I would go with a scope, if you walk and stalk I would go with open sights.

OJ
11-07-2010, 12:23
Nice target - my eyes are getting pretty bad. I have a target like the red/white and can't see the middle. Did you put that black circle (another target) over the red/white? Or did you buy the target as seen?

I have no problem with someone putting a scope on a 30-30 - but I wouldn't do it on a classic lever gun. To each his own... If I were going to scope a 30-30 it would be a Savage bolt or a Remington 788 (my preference / also a bolt gun).

Thanks - the black center is a paste-on "Shoot'nSee" paste on so I could use a spotter scope for "fine tuning" to hit 2" above the point of aim at 100 yards - having zeroed to point of aim at 25 yards.

I make no claim to be an expert but do shoot every week and started shooting about 1930.

My eyes were only 79 when I zeroed my Winchester 95 - have had some decrease since then due to macular degeneration - loss of nerve ends for central vision - plus some cataracts I will have removed later this month. I may not like it but, at age 84, I guess I should expect some parts to be wearing out.

I have nothing against scopes and most of my other rifles are scoped - does put all target and sighting devices - cross hairs - in the same plane for focusing being the main advantage. I just like the set-ups I have on my lever guns - esthetically. My first center fire rifle was a well used Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special I got in about 1934 since I considered 22 LR inadequate for humane kill of coyotes - contrary to some friends opinion.

bustedknee Guns are made for shootin'.

I'm happy to see someone else shooting their purty guns.

You bet !!! That 30-06 Hi Grade Winchester 95 especially - My wife gave it to me for our 25th anniversary 5 years ago - it is even more a joy to shoot than to look at and admire.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/AWINCHESTER95-1.jpg

The only guns in my safe that I don't shoot are very old guns - 4 barreled Sharps Pepperbox pistol, 45-70 Hepburn Target#3 half octagonal barrel, 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield 1888 model with Buffington rear sight, Grandpa King's ancient 12 gage double barrel with external hammers - etc. All my others are for shooting - no matter how fancy they look - :supergrin:

AWMP
11-07-2010, 15:14
Any recommendations for rings / mounts on a Marlin lever? Going to put a low power scope on mine. Eyes have to have it.

paynter2
11-07-2010, 15:52
Thanks - the black center is a paste-on "Shoot'nSee" paste on so I could use a spotter scope for "fine tuning" to hit 2" above the point of aim at 100 yards - having zeroed to point of aim at 25 yards.

I make no claim to be an expert but do shoot every week and started shooting about 1930.

My eyes were only 79 when I zeroed my Winchester 95 - have had some decrease since then due to macular degeneration - loss of nerve ends for central vision - plus some cataracts I will have removed later this month. I may not like it but, at age 84, I guess I should expect some parts to be wearing out.

I have nothing against scopes and most of my other rifles are scoped - does put all target and sighting devices - cross hairs - in the same plane for focusing being the main advantage. I just like the set-ups I have on my lever guns - esthetically. My first center fire rifle was a well used Winchester 94 in 32 Winchester Special I got in about 1934 since I considered 22 LR inadequate for humane kill of coyotes - contrary to some friends opinion.

You bet !!! That 30-06 Hi Grade Winchester 95 especially - My wife gave it to me for our 25th anniversary 5 years ago - it is even more a joy to shoot than to look at and admire.

The only guns in my safe that I don't shoot are very old guns - 4 barreled Sharps Pepperbox pistol, 45-70 Hepburn Target#3 half octagonal barrel, 45-70 Trapdoor Springfield 1888 model with Buffington rear sight, Grandpa King's ancient 12 gage double barrel with external hammers - etc. All my others are for shooting - no matter how fancy they look - :supergrin:

Thanks OJ - I'll get some of those shoot'nsee stick-ons. I need something in the center of the target that is large enough for me to see. Even at 9X I can't see a 1 inch circle anymore - the cross hairs cover it up.

Your M95 is a very beautiful piece. And an impressive shooter - as is the trigger man. I had trouble shooting 1.5 inch with my M788 .243 using a Leupold VXII 3-9x40. I think if I can find something that my eye can see in the middle of the target, I will shoot better (again).

I drive by a range on my way to work - every Monday afternoon. I usually have my 22 mag with me and stop to shoot a few rounds - just cuz it's so much fun to shoot.

I'm supposed to get cataract surgery too. The lens or the cornea (I can't remember) is so thin they want to do lasik first. I think they want to use the lasik to build up the thickness of the lens (or cornea). I'm putting it off as long as possible.

Keep up the good work!

filthy infidel
11-07-2010, 16:34

You are a GT person that I'd love to have a visit and a few beers with. Congratulations on your long life and great wife!

GroundedCLK
11-11-2010, 04:06

If you do not mind me asking who makes the sling?

K.Kiser
11-11-2010, 17:10
You can drive a nail by hitting with a wrench too. But it isn't the most appropriate tool for the job.

If you re taking 150 yard shots, the 30-30 is not the optimal gun.

My 30-30 has a purpose and an intended job. So does my 30-06. The 30-30 doesn't have a scope, all the others do.

It's nice that your 30-30 in particular isn't used for a purpose that requires a scope, but I don't remember adressing your rifle's usage... My point is that to use a 30-30 to it's full range, a scope is better than not as a base answer... To get more specific we would need to know the requirements that the original poster needs...

Jonesee
11-11-2010, 19:21
It's nice that your 30-30 in particular isn't used for a purpose that requires a scope, but I don't remember adressing your rifle's usage... My point is that to use a 30-30 to it's full range, a scope is better than not as a base answer... To get more specific we would need to know the requirements that the original poster needs...

I believe if you check any balistics chart you will find 150 yards is a reach for a 30-30 no matter what you are hunting.

I would rather use a rifle that has little drop and needs little correction at any given distance, rather than stretch another to its limits.

But I have never been a 1 rifle hunter. I have them from .17 to .375. They are tools, each has its use. If I am hunting with distances that require a scope, I grab a different rifle than my 30-30.

Your mileage may vary...

K.Kiser
11-11-2010, 19:40
IBut I have never been a 1 rifle hunter. I have them from .17 to .375. They are tools, each has its use.
Your mileage may vary...

I'll agree with that... I come from a family of long range rifle builders and long range competition shooters... We don't have any .17's but we have or have had plenty from the .22 CF's to some wildcat .416's... I'm not looking at ballistics from the 30-30, but I' pretty confident it still has around 1,100 ft/lbs. of energy which is plenty for skilled shot on deer... I'm gonna guess if a 30-30 is sighted to be a couple inches high @ 100 yards, then the shooter wouldn't necessarliy need to compensate much at all for any bullet rise or drop out to 150 yards...

LarryD1130
11-12-2010, 08:16
I took the old scope off. I'm going to try it out with the irons a couple of times before I decide if I want to throw another scope on it or not.

bubba803
11-12-2010, 09:08
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-30-Win-160-gr-FTX-LEVERevolution/

http://www.winchester.com/Products/rifle-ammunition/super-x/power-point/Pages/default.aspx?c=30-30+Winchester

ZRiz19C
11-17-2010, 11:59
I have a cheap Barska 3-9x50 on my Marlin 336. Wasn't really into the irons when I first bought the gun but I can certainly understand why some people would be against putting any type of scope on a lever gun.

LarryD1130
11-17-2010, 13:44
Where is a good website that show's you how to clean a lever-action or any other gun?

vafish
11-17-2010, 17:05
Even a lowly 150 gr soft point from a .30-30 is making almost 1000 ft lbs of energy at 200 yards.

If you sight it in 3" high at 100 yards your MPBR is 225 yards. So you can hold dead on the chest and put one in the kill zone without making any adjustment for distance out to 225 yards. Past that you need to know the trajectory and how far away the deer is.

Using the same sighting system with a .308 only give you a MPBR of 275 yards or a mere 50 yards more. .30-06 with a 150 gr bullet gets you a MPBR of 287 yards.

The .30-30 isn't a long range sniper rifle, but it's damn effective well past 150 yards.

I think a 1-4X or 2-7X scope is about the ultimate on a .30-30.

ctaggart
12-07-2010, 22:29
I have a Marlin 336CS that I installed a peep sight on. Here's the link. http://www.skinnersights.com/

Here's what I can say about the peep sight I bought from Skinner;
First, it's bomb proof. I don't buy products that look like they're fragile or going to break if they're bumped or the rifle is dropped. The design of this peep sight leaves no option of a failure. Once installed, it's staying put. Plain and simple. Your accuracy will improve as well when compared to a dovetail sight. I suggest purchasing a couple different diameters of rear peeps if you get this sight. You can use a very small peep for range shooting or longer range shooting. When it's dark and rainy I'll either use the largest peep I have or take it out altogether and be left with a ghost ring. It's pretty versatile and I'm sold on it.

KY23
12-07-2010, 22:42
I have a .45/70 Guide Gun with a scope on it. Extends the range a bit and really helps when there is low light levels. I'm using a rail to mount the scope and I also have peep sights on the gun. If the scope breaks or I decide I want to use the iron sights I just take the scope off. When I put the scope back on it remains zeroed.

http://peekconsultingllc.com/images/guns/guidegun2.jpg
http://peekconsultingllc.com/images/guns/guidegun1.jpg

ctaggart
12-07-2010, 23:17
I have a .45/70 Guide Gun with a scope on it. Extends the range a bit and really helps when there is low light levels. I'm using a rail to mount the scope and I also have peep sights on the gun. If the scope breaks or I decide I want to use the iron sights I just take the scope off. When I put the scope back on it remains zeroed.

http://peekconsultingllc.com/images/guns/guidegun2.jpg
http://peekconsultingllc.com/images/guns/guidegun1.jpg

Love it. Specs on the scope? Looks like a Leupold.

CanyonMan
12-08-2010, 10:04
Count me in here - somehow a scope has just never looked quite right on my lever guns - for me, at least - I use Williams FP94/36 apertures on my 30-30 Winchester 94 rifles and remove the aperture to make it ghost ring (just hadn't done it yet on the Buffalo Bill one)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_2491.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/BUFFALOBILL94A.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/003.jpg

And a Williams FP71 on my 30-06 Winchester 95

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/IMG_1494_edited-1.jpg

And, the 95 produced these less than 1/2 MOA at 100 yards when I zeroed the sights five years ago - shooting with just a fist rest on the range table.

Works for me -

Very nice looking levers there amigo. I too, favor the peep sight over a scope on a lever action. I take a lever in the woods and I 'know" I'm going out there to shoot under 100yds, and most all mine over the years "with a lever gun' have been from 10 to 50 yds.

CM

KY23
12-08-2010, 10:07
Love it. Specs on the scope? Looks like a Leupold.

Its a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope. Works great and with the low magnification it works for those close up quick shots too. Just naturally points really good.

FPS
12-10-2010, 08:50
I hunt with my 30-30 in the thick woods of Vermont. All my shots are under 150 yes. No scope on mine.

fmfdocglock
12-11-2010, 22:00
I have a Mossberg 30-30, side ejection. 3-9x scope on it.

If it was a saddle rifle, definitely not.

paidfor
12-31-2010, 16:28
I have over 20 levers. I only have ONE with a scope. I only use that rifle when I go to stands that I have to shoot over 100 yards. Otherwise, I use open sights. Have never missed a deer. You have to know your rifle very well to take shots with open sights at greater distances. You need confidence in how far you can shoot it without any drop.