Took the 930SPX out in the desert again...(video) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Took the 930SPX out in the desert again...(video)

mixflip
11-04-2010, 14:23
Hey Frankr and Scrappydoo and all the other 930SPX fans...this is for you.

Just some mag dump fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCK9ZqvIfw

mdfd
11-04-2010, 17:19
Hey Frankr and Scrappydoo and all the other 930SPX fans...this is for you.

Just some mag dump fun! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCK9ZqvIfw

very cool mix - now you got me thinking of one!
what is the LOP on the stock for the 930SPX?

bug
11-04-2010, 17:34
I love mossy 930 and 590s but i do not like them with pistol grips makes the safety hard to use for me any tips on making it easy?

ScrappyDoo
11-04-2010, 17:51
MY MAN ...loved those mag dumps, it's the best part IMHO of the 930 SPX.... That looked like a sweet deal on the ammo..

I know mine cycles everything no problem but birdshot feels a whole lot better on the shoulder, buckshot is like a nice tank of high-test, makes it wanna go BOOM.

I am curious Mix, have you ever considered tritium night sights? I've looked on LPA's website but they don't exactly list prices and i'm not sure if I'd want to mess with it, because LPA Ghost Ring's and that front M16 sight are good (and expensive)... but as a HD weapon I would love to have good tritium on the ghost ring and maybe a different tube? up front... Just a thought.

mixflip
11-04-2010, 19:10
I think I am going to go with some kind of white light setup first before I invest in night sights on my shotgun. Maybe later down the road?

mdfd - I dont know what the exact LOP is but I am 5' 9" 200lbs. I have no idea what my reach is but the LOP feels a hair shorter than my Benelli pump action.

BUG - If you watch th evideo closely you see me swipe the safety just before I fire. Its really not a big deal as the internet hype makes it out to be. It doent slow me down or confuse me at all. With any firearm platform, it really just boils down to repatition and trigger time. Most experienced folks will tell you, it doesnt really matter what gun you fight with as long as you #1 have a gun...#2 know how to run what ya brung!!!

brausso
11-04-2010, 19:16
Good stuff :thumbsup:

I've enjoyed your other videos too

mdfd
11-04-2010, 19:30
I hear rumblings about Mossberg coming out with some updates to the 930 platform? Perhaps maybe more options? anyone heard anything about that?

Mix - I agree w/ you in the video that it'd be nice to have more options for the stock other than the Choate...an adjustable LOP stock would be perfect....

Big Time
11-04-2010, 19:36
Very nice,sweet,it's got me thinking!:supergrin:

ScrappyDoo
11-04-2010, 19:45
As I have said before I bought mine almost entirely because of the insane GlockTalk hype early this year, I found this site and everyone I mean everyone was talking 930 SPX's...

and then I found one magically and I guess it was one of those, BUY IT NOW DO IT DO IT things. The funny thing is, I had saved a lot of money for my first firearms, and I wanted a Benelli M2 Tac but got the 930 SPX. With the money saved, the next day I decided to go get the Remington R-1 AR-15 I really liked.. which is a flatop, almost cross between a combat and hunter AR, that 18" barrel is nice for longer shots but it's as nice rifle for lots of purposes, I really thought it would be an nice addition and versatile for fighting or sniping. They told me it wasn't Jersey legal (IT WAS) and they didn't sell me it but the 930 SPX the day before, they SHOULDN'T have let that one go. Dumbasses.

I guess it's cool though I promptly wasted the money from the R-1 I didn't get on a Savage Mark II GXP, a Benelli Supernova "tactical turkey" 24", and a S&W M&P 15-22, which has been completely pimped and is the baddest mother trucker in jungle as far as 15-22's... I am now going to get my Supernova TACTICAL ( that I wanted in the first place) and hopefully a nice M4-profile AR and will have a nice complete portfolio, but headlined by the 930 SPX... That is my Baby.. I get looks, compliments, and offers on it all the time.

ScrappyDoo
11-04-2010, 19:47
also let me say if anyone has thoughts about purchasing it, watch all of Mixflip's videos, you'll probably be $6-$700 LIGHTER in the WALLET and a whole lot better armed and tacticooler forthwith.

mixflip
11-04-2010, 20:06
Lol, I really need to become a youtube partner! Mossberg is getting alot of free advertising from me arent they?

mdfd
11-04-2010, 20:48
Yeah, your video's really peaked my interest in the 930SPX. After getting sticker shock at how much the Saiga 12 pro-converted's cost, I'm seriously considering the 930 SPX....so where can I get the best deal on one w/ the Choate pistol grip?

BruBaker 44
11-05-2010, 08:12
Loved the video. No complaints with my SPX. Standing,no sling 40 yards with a slug the thing is bullseye.

trakhore
11-05-2010, 16:27
Where did you get that oversize charging lever? Been looking for something like that.

Cool video.

m24shooter
11-05-2010, 19:26
I hear rumblings about Mossberg coming out with some updates to the 930 platform? Perhaps maybe more options? anyone heard anything about that?
What are you looking for? There are quite a few options/accessories out there.
As for factory offerings, with OFM signing Miculek and Flanigan and Benny Hill starting to play with them there will probably be some factory 3 gun ready versions, and Hill will have some custom 3 gun versions ready. They are expected to run int he $1300 range.
Mix - I agree w/ you in the video that it'd be nice to have more options for the stock other than the Choate...an adjustable LOP stock would be perfect....
Not going to happen unless you modify the action spring arrangement, or you mean to make an adjustable LOP in the 13-17" range.

mdfd
11-05-2010, 19:35
What are you looking for? There are quite a few options/accessories out there.
As for factory offerings, with OFM signing Miculek and Flanigan and Benny Hill starting to play with them there will probably be some factory 3 gun ready versions, and Hill will have some custom 3 gun versions ready. They are expected to run int he $1300 range.

Not going to happen unless you modify the action spring arrangement, or you mean to make an adjustable LOP in the 13-17" range.

nothing in particular, just wanting to make sure I make an educated buy is all...
I was calling around some local shops today to see if there was any in stock for me to go and have a first hand look at the 930 SPX w/ PG. None of the local stores had it. One even said according to their distributor that Mossberg was discontinuing the 930 SPX for a next gen....I was shocked at hearing that and find it hard to believe....

I was hoping to be able to adjust LOP shorter not longer, but I do see the limitations due to the spring in the stock. Not sure how much room there is in there though....

m24shooter
11-05-2010, 20:27
I am not aware of any plans to discontinue the SPX.
There are several aftermarket guys, including the outfit that handles the LE work for Mossberg that are making and developing items for the SPX. If the gun were going away I would expect that NOT to be the case.
There are a lot of things available for the 930, and the market is still growing.
The shotgun is already basically on its third generation. They have followed the SPX with the Road Blocker and the Tactical model. There is a wide section of 930 models in both sporting and defensive configurations. Sounds like your guy bought into a similar issue to the great "Remington is discontinuing the SPS Tactical model" rumors that were running around last year. The 930 is a very strong seller for Mossberg. They are tweaking the design, and there will probably be some additional models to include a 3 gun version, but I seriously doubt the SPX is being discontinued. OFM is strongly promoting it in their own literature.
You can probably get 3/4" off the stock without cutting the action spring assembly down. You might be able to get another 1/4" with some careful cutting of the end threads and maybe another nut. Anything more than that and you are going to have to make some more modification.
As for the PG stock, Choate makes them and they are available as an aftermarket item if you just really want to have one.

mixflip
11-05-2010, 21:44
A gunshop salesman said Mossberg is discontinuing the highly popular 930SPX. (they are still hard to find on shelves) Unless Mossberg said it themselves...I doubt its true.

As for parts? If anybody knows 930 parts it would be M24shooter.

mdfd
11-06-2010, 10:38
m24 - that's good to hear. so let me make sure I understand....

if I buy the 930 SPX w/ the ordinary shoulder stock, I can get the Choate PG separately and swap it out to be exactly like the PG version Mossberg sells direct?
How much for the Choate PG add-on and where can I get it? I was on Choate's website and they do not have a listing for the 930 SPX.... reason why I am considering this route is b/c the local gunshop has a regular stock 930SPX (in stock) for $599 plus 10% off vs the PG version for $705 (special order)....

BTW, did you ever make that trip to Mossberg's factory?

I am not aware of any plans to discontinue the SPX.
There are several aftermarket guys, including the outfit that handles the LE work for Mossberg that are making and developing items for the SPX. If the gun were going away I would expect that NOT to be the case.
There are a lot of things available for the 930, and the market is still growing.
The shotgun is already basically on its third generation. They have followed the SPX with the Road Blocker and the Tactical model. There is a wide section of 930 models in both sporting and defensive configurations. Sounds like your guy bought into a similar issue to the great "Remington is discontinuing the SPS Tactical model" rumors that were running around last year. The 930 is a very strong seller for Mossberg. They are tweaking the design, and there will probably be some additional models to include a 3 gun version, but I seriously doubt the SPX is being discontinued. OFM is strongly promoting it in their own literature.
You can probably get 3/4" off the stock without cutting the action spring assembly down. You might be able to get another 1/4" with some careful cutting of the end threads and maybe another nut. Anything more than that and you are going to have to make some more modification.
As for the PG stock, Choate makes them and they are available as an aftermarket item if you just really want to have one.

ScrappyDoo
11-06-2010, 10:45

if I buy the 930 SPX w/ the ordinary shoulder stock, I can get the Choate PG separately and swap it out to be exactly like the PG version Mossberg sells direct?
How much for the Choate PG add-on and where can I get it? I was on Choate's website and they do not have a listing for the 930 SPX.... reason why I am considering this route is b/c the local gunshop has a regular stock 930SPX (in stock) for $599 plus 10% off vs the PG version for $705 (special order)....

Exactly that, Choate makes the PG stock that Mossberg puts on at the factory... here's the link:

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=4&Product_CatalogID=2961&ProductNumber=02-01-40&ProductCode=2&ProductSubCodeID=240&NewProduct=0

I have the regular version because I can't have the PG in NJ and I like it anyway, but many love that Choate PG.

mdfd
11-06-2010, 10:48
Exactly that, Choate makes the PG stock that Mossberg puts on at the factory... here's the link:

http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=4&Product_CatalogID=2961&ProductNumber=02-01-40&ProductCode=2&ProductSubCodeID=240&NewProduct=0

I have the regular version because I can't have the PG in NJ and I like it anyway, but many love that Choate PG.

bookmarked! thanks!

Aceman
11-06-2010, 11:25
I love mossy 930 and 590s but i do not like them with pistol grips makes the safety hard to use for me any tips on making it easy?

Yes -

#1 Muzzle discipline
#2 Finger discipline
#3 stop using the effing safety so much!

Pracice taking it off on picking up the gun right out of the gate- then #1/#2 apply until there is no threat, or target.

ScrappyDoo
11-06-2010, 12:46
bookmarked! thanks!

Not a problem at all. I have personally dealt directly with Choate for a customized mag "extension" to make my 930 SPX Jersey-legal, and they were wonderful people.

I have actually thought of buying the Choate pistol-grip stock just to have, in case I ever move or if SHTF++ and I/we weren't caring about the law/enforcement etc. But I read that the way the law is, just having the "pieces" of "equipment" to "convert" your weapon into an 'assault weapon' (and in Jersey's case a semi-auto shotgun with either a pistol grip stock and/or a capacity of over 6 is an assault weapon) you're breaking the law... So theoretically if I just HAVE that Choate pistol grip stock unopened, sitting in a damn blister pack in the basement, and something were to happen somehow and the fuzz found it and also my 930 SPX I would be in trouble. I think that's absolutely redonk but it's the way it is so it's totally not worth it to me. Also because $75 bucks to sit there and do nothing at all , possibly and probably forever, is a lot of dead money IMHO.

Anyway I hope you get what you're looking for and you get hooked up. You should just go "pull the trigger" on the 930 SPX and buy it, you will love it literally from the moment you're carrying the blue Mossberg box to your car.

Hope this helps, and good luck,
Scrap

dc2integra
11-06-2010, 13:46
nice video

m24shooter
11-07-2010, 11:36

Yes.
Looks like somebody already posted the link, so there it is. Sometimes with Choate if you call, you get a better response then by email or checking through their site for info.
BTW, did you ever make that trip to Mossberg's factory?
Nope. Real life intervened. I took a promotion/new job and that didn't leave me with a whole lot of time to go to CT. I may try to get it scheduled here some time again.

frankr
11-13-2010, 02:36
mixflip, Thank you.
My 930 SPX is still going strong in fact if a shotgun can be boring my 930 SPX is boring. Why you ask, because it shoots, and shoots, and shoots. Just like my Glock 23 that has never failed me at IDA matches when others with their fancy race guns or holding things up because of malfunctions. My 930 SPX runs like a will oiled machine when other shotguns twice the money continually jam, especially when shooting the low brass stuff.

ScrappyDoo
11-13-2010, 10:37
Frank I also have a Glock 23 and 930 SPX and exactly like you said, all good in the hood.

And actually I have a nice order coming from Cheaper than Dirt today, with lots of shotgun goodies (among other things) and especially the LimbSaver pad is coming. Now in retrospect, AFTER I ordered the one I ordered, I read that maybe I should have got a diff one but I'm going wit hwhat I bought and will tell you how it worked later today

frankr
11-13-2010, 14:19
Frank I also have a Glock 23 and 930 SPX and exactly like you said, all good in the hood.

And actually I have a nice order coming from Cheaper than Dirt today, with lots of shotgun goodies (among other things) and especially the LimbSaver pad is coming. Now in retrospect, AFTER I ordered the one I ordered, I read that maybe I should have got a diff one but I'm going wit hwhat I bought and will tell you how it worked later today

Cool, let me know how it works out for you. Love my Glock 23 but the one I seem to carry the most is my Glock 27. I even seem to shoot the 27 better than the 23. Canít figure that one out???

ScrappyDoo
11-14-2010, 10:17
I was going to make a new thread on this but, what the hell I'll admit it,

I could not figure out how to put the LimbSaver on, for hte life of me. The instructions if you could call them that consist of a weak-ass picture of the "pattern" you should be looking for, it didn't help. And I just couldn't get the thing screwed in properly, I kept screwing it up and trying different things but , no help. And naturally Google and Youtube for once, completely failed me.

So I did the only thing I could do. The smart thing and technical thing. I superglued that $(#*@*@.

And so far so good, no problems at all. Went back with a little Goo Gone to remove runs,drips, and errors and all good after. I am not really sure it will stay on, but will have to try firing it and see.