Good Hunting Round? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Good Hunting Round?

KYJoe
11-04-2010, 18:59
I am a new hunter and sighting in a new scope (first time I have done this) for my rifle in .308 Win. Based on some research I ended up with Federal Premium 168 Grain, Sierra Matchking, BTHP, Gold Medal Match ammo. Now that I bought these rounds and am researching estimated drop for my scope’s reticle, I am rethinking the ammo. Is this round sufficient for deer hunting? It is a boat tail hollow point, but appears to be made primarily for target shooting (Matchking) versus hunting (Gameking). While it is a hollow point bullet, I want to make sure I am using the right round for clean kills.

pennlineman
11-04-2010, 19:07
I think you've pretty much figured it out for yourself. The match grade stuff will certainly kill deer. But the bullets designed for hunting offer more consistant expansion and penetration.

ETA I think that Sierra does make a HP for hunting for those who insist on using them. If memory serves me correctly even they suggest that the soft points are a better choice.

Jeff82
11-04-2010, 19:16
Match bullets are for paper targets or humans. They are not designed for game such as deer or larger. Do not use for hunting. Sierra (maker of MatchKing bullet) will tell you this themselves. Call them and ask: 1-800-223-8799

From my Sierra reloading manual:

"Sierra does not recommend MatchKing bullets for hunting applications."

EL COLONEL
11-05-2010, 16:40
Get some hornady superformance .

noway
11-10-2010, 15:24
I am a new hunter and sighting in a new scope (first time I have done this) for my rifle in .308 Win. Based on some research I ended up with Federal Premium 168 Grain, Sierra Matchking, BTHP, Gold Medal Match ammo. Now that I bought these rounds and am researching estimated drop for my scope’s reticle, I am rethinking the ammo. Is this round sufficient for deer hunting? It is a boat tail hollow point, but appears to be made primarily for target shooting (Matchking) versus hunting (Gameking). While it is a hollow point bullet, I want to make sure I am using the right round for clean kills.

It would probably work(deer only), but like mention before, was never designed up front as a hunting bullet.

If you want a good bullet , then get a economical HP/JSP design and go with something proven for deer.

K.Kiser
11-10-2010, 17:22
I used to shoot 160 grain Sierra Boattail gamekings from a .280 remington... I shot 4 deer from 35 steps to 140 steps away, and not a single bullet stayed together... We found the peeled back jacket in all the deer, and the core kept going... I will say that all the animal where killed pretty cleanly, but I knew my luck would eventually run out at expense to the animal... This was 15+ years ago, and in all fairness things may have improved since then... I changed bullets in My loads and never had another bullet and had perfect results, and I wouldn't recommend a Match bullet for a larger than varmint game... There is a vast selection of bullets out there that will outperform the Matchking on game without question...

GeorgiaGlockMan
11-10-2010, 23:30
The CoreLokts go on sale every now and then. When they do, I stock up.

Never had one that hit a deer that didn't do what it was supposed to.

Good Luck!

ctaggart
11-27-2010, 01:51
Get some hornady superformance .

I just bought a few boxes of these for my .308 and got great results at the range. These premium loads offer velocities up to 200fps faster than any other hunting loads I've seen. 3000fps in a .308 with 150 grain bullets. 2800fps is typical of most any other manufacturer of the aforementioned load.