New Laptop [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

RWBlue
11-05-2010, 11:58
I am generally satisfied with my current computer, but it is getting old and I can not do a couple things. So I am looking for minimal spec.

The only game I play is MS flight simulator. I can not run it with all the graphics enabled. I want to with the new system.

I edit pictures with photo shop. I do not have problems now. I don't want a problem in the future.

I have tried to edit videos on my current setup. I can not do a minute or two at a time. I would like to be able to do some longer videos.

I lean toward Dells in recent years. They have served me well for the price, but....

I am a computer person. If there is a new technology coming up.....

Ralff
11-05-2010, 12:09
What are your current specs? Computer experience?

RWBlue
11-05-2010, 13:02
I am currently typing on a Acer Travelmate 2480 which I got in trade after doing some computer work.

I maxed out the ram, but beyond that it is stock running Vista.

Intel Celeron 430 1.73
3gb ram

It was old when I got it, but my other laptop died unexpectedly and I just never got around to buying something better. At this point it is showing some wear on the keyboard, buttons, and ...

RWBlue
11-05-2010, 13:10
What are your current specs? Computer experience?

As far as my specs.
I am more than 6 feet tall, not lean, but mean.:supergrin:

I have a BS in CIS, a CISSP, CISA and soon to have another certification.
I spend the day at work on the computer securing/auditing the world and then spend the night on the computer doing something.

So I am not an intense high powered computer user any more, but the computer will get lots of use.

BTW, I plan to go large. I like the large screens. I am willing to carry it.

RWBlue
11-05-2010, 13:18
Few more things to help you help me.

I will run fedora on an external drive.

I will probably purchase a 35mm slide scanner in the next year.

filthy infidel
11-05-2010, 14:51
Well you need an i5 or 7 processor and a SSHD sir!

solomansousana
11-05-2010, 17:12
Look into the Dell Studio line of laptops. I recently purchased my parents a S&D from Dell, a:

Dell Studio 1558
Intel Core i3-370
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
4gb 1033 ram
500gb hdd @7200rpm
720p HD screen
ATI 1gb video ram
2mp built in camera
back lit keyboard
Intel WiMax 6250 a/b/g/n with wimax wifi card

$549.00 plus additional $90 for a 3 year in home warranty.

The system was brand new never sold, the reason it was S&D was it had 3 small scratches on the cover that marred it's perfect finish.

BeefyBeefo
11-05-2010, 17:42
I have the laptop at the link below for sale. That price is negotiable and trades/partial trades are welcomed (ammo, etc).

Let me know if you're interested. :)

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/sys/2023862861.html

GIockGuy24
11-05-2010, 18:14
ATI graphics may be the most problematic for Linux. Nvidia is almost always better but can still have issues in laptops. The later Intel graphics are plenty for MS Flight Sim. Intel donates the factory drivers to open source also which makes the 3D drivers the easiest and least trouble in Linux. Same goes for the wireless card. An Intel wireless card will have the most support in Linux. I would only upgrade the graphics to Nvidia for extreme games and then it would have to be high end Nvidia graphics and not the basic ones. ATI/AMD support is now better than before in Linux but Intel makes everything work very smoothly in Linux now. The latest dual core Pentium is the 6100 series with DDR3 memory. The older but still available Pentium T4500 has DDR2 memory but has separate video chips which might be better for Linux. The older Celeron 900 is a single core but there is a new Celeron dual core for laptops but I don't know much about it. The Core i3 has larger L2 than Pentium and faster front side bus. The Core i5 and Core i7 have turbo boost but I don't know if it functions in Linux. It might. You can find Core i3 and Core i5 with integrated Intel graphics but I think most Core i7 and some Core i5 have separate graphics, usually from Nvidia. Usually only the higher end laptops have Intel wireless cards. I'd look for Intel wifi and Intel graphics for the best Linux function and support.

Cemetery21
11-05-2010, 19:09
+1 on the Dell S&D - check out the Dell outlet when you determine the needed specs. My last 3 came from the outlet - refurbs and they usually ship free and without all the crapware installed.

Regards

Powder
11-05-2010, 19:47
Just got my first laptop from the Dell outlet. Intel i5, 4gb ram, and 640gb harddrive for $511. Exact same laptop at Walmart is $800.

RWBlue
11-05-2010, 21:08
I think what you are telling me is, I am probably over killing it now which is fine since I will have it for a long time.

Will the NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 445M 3GB graphics have issues with Linux?

GIockGuy24
11-06-2010, 00:39
I think what you are telling me is, I am probably over killing it now which is fine since I will have it for a long time.

Will the NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ GT 445M 3GB graphics have issues with Linux?

I don't know. Nvidia usually does much better in Linux than ATI (now AMD). I have one laptop with Nvidia but it's 2 or 3 years old. Once the newer Intel graphics got big enough to handle some 3D games I try to stay with Intel now as the 3D drivers are always supplied as Intel donates them to open source. For some really serious 3D graphics and the really big games I'd go with Nvidia. Not all Nvidia chipsets are big and the small ones aren't much more than the newest Intel ones. If they use shared memory I'd go with Intel all the way. The larger Nvidia ones with dedicated video memory would be my choice for the big games.

GIockGuy24
11-06-2010, 00:42
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nvidia_gt425_winlin&num=1

October 26, 2010

The open-source Nouveau driver does not yet provide Gallium3D support for Fermi hardware (there isn't even Fermi mode-setting support without 2D acceleration in Ubuntu 10.10 as it requires the Linux 2.6.36 kernel or later), but even if it did the performance would still be very slow.

It looks like the factory Nvidia driver is required for 3D in Linux with that graphics chipset.