Hornady Powder Cop Die or RCBS Lockout Die? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Powder Cop Die or RCBS Lockout Die?

Flipz
11-05-2010, 13:44
Out of these 2 powder check dies which one would you choose to use on a Hornady LNL AP Progressive press loading 9mm and .45ACP?

Hornady Powder Cop Die or RCBS Lockout Die?

Boxerglocker
11-05-2010, 13:53
I'm using the RCBS lock-out on my XL650 for 9mm. The one merit I really have found to be useful for is that it locks the machine up when a .380 case gets pass the sizer and powder drop die. The difference in case size is noticed and changes the sensed change in volume. I don't know how much of a visual cue you would get with the Power Cop, maybe Jack or Bob would know and be able to elaborate.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206136&d=1287389661

GioaJack
11-05-2010, 13:57
I've been using the Powder Cops on both my LNL's for over a year. Have no complaints what-so-ever. Very easy to install and adjust. Unless you load with your eyes closed you can't help but see the indicator rod... it's right in front of you.

After you work with it for a little while you can easily identify when a load is 'a little heavy or a little light', not just no powder or double charge.

A few weeks ago I ordered the RCBS Lock-Out just to compare the two. It's still sitting on the bench in it's little green box... I probably should go in and install it. Maybe I'll do that tonight or tomorrow... casting right now.

Jack

Flipz
11-05-2010, 13:59
I am leaning towards the RCBS Lockout Die. The main reason is because I dont have to look at it constantly like the Hornady Powder Cop Die.

This will be for my first press. Ive been doing tons of research over the last 6 months and have decided on the LNL. It was a hard decision as I was leaning towards the 550B for a long time. But in the end the LNL made the most sense.

Anyways, I want to be as safe as possible and that is why I will definitley be using some type of powder check die.

GIOAJACK,
If you could test the RCBS Lockout Die out and let me know what you think about it Id appreciate it.

Bob2223
11-05-2010, 14:03
Only use the Powder cop die for 223 and look in the case as I'm setting the bullet loading pistol rounds.

Bob

GioaJack
11-05-2010, 14:08
I am leaning towards the RCBS Lockout Die. The main reason is because I dont have to look at it constantly like the Hornady Powder Cop Die.

This will be for my first press. Ive been doing tons of research over the last 6 months and have decided on the LNL. It was a hard decision as I was leaning towards the 550B for a long time. But in the end the LNL made the most sense.

Anyways, I want to be as safe as possible and that is why I will definitley be using some type of powder check die.

GIOAJACK,
If you could test the RCBS Lockout Die out and let me know what you think about it Id appreciate it.

I'll make a point of installing it and posting something by tomorrow night. Boy, the sacrifices I make for you rookies... I should be granted Sainthood.

Jack

Bob2223
11-05-2010, 14:13

GIOAJACK,

Good choice! :thumbsup:

Bob

Flipz
11-05-2010, 14:13
LOL, thanks Jack! Hows the ticker been doing? Glad to see youre back to your old self.

Boxerglocker
11-05-2010, 14:16

GIOAJACK,

Go to the Ulitimate reloaders website, he has some very good videos on how they both work. It helped me make my decision as to which one to go with.
If I ever in the future by another press it might be a LNL for .223
I would probably take Bobs lead and go with the Powder Cop there... pad his commission :supergrin:

Bob2223
11-05-2010, 14:36
Go to the Ulitimate reloaders website, he has some very good videos on how they both work. It helped me make my decision as to which one to go with.
I would probably take Bobs lead and go with the Powder Cop there... pad his commission :supergrin:

I have two more in stock for you and Steve.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_3122.jpg

Bob

Flipz
11-05-2010, 14:57
Gonna be ordering a bunch of stuff from Graf's. But thanks for the offer Bob.

Flipz
11-05-2010, 15:03

Ive watched the videos there and he does a very good job with his reviews (one of the reasons why Im going with the LNL).

Im leaning towards the Lockout Die since it's a physical die instead of a visual die like the Powder Cop Die. Both seem to work great. Since I wont be using a case feeder for a little while I just wanna cover my bases since I'll be looking at putting the bullet and new case on after every throw. I guess Im just concerned about taking my eye off the Powder Cop Die and not being sure the case has the correct powder amount.

Still havent decided yet so Im just looking for opinions from those who have used the dies.

JoeCitizen
11-05-2010, 15:08
I went with the lock out die. I've got enough to keep an eye on when running a progressive.

I don't worry about a double charge. I have the LNL, it auto indexes. Besides, I use powder/charge combinations that will overflow on a double. So, I set the lock out so it locks if the charge is even a few tenths of a grain too low. That way if the powder measure is doing something even a little bit wrong I'll know it. It's locked a few times and has meant the powder measure is real low and is throwing a slightly lighter charge. I love this set up.

Flipz
11-05-2010, 15:28
For 9mm I plan to use 124gr Montana Gold FMJ's and W231 with either Win or CCI SPP's. From what Ive read 231 meters fairly well in the LNL. I just want to play it safe and use a powder check die that will help me out if I take my eye off the die.

Boxerglocker
11-05-2010, 15:57
I went with the lock out die. I've got enough to keep an eye on when running a progressive.

I don't worry about a double charge. I have the LNL, it auto indexes. Besides, I use powder/charge combinations that will overflow on a double. So, I set the lock out so it locks if the charge is even a few tenths of a grain too low. That way if the powder measure is doing something even a little bit wrong I'll know it. It's locked a few times and has meant the powder measure is real low and is throwing a slightly lighter charge. I love this set up.

That is another nice little trick I did myself… my normal charge is 4.1g of TG. I bench set the RCBS at just on 4.1… because the RCBS locks out at only "No charge" or "double charge" it works great.

Flipz
11-05-2010, 23:07
GioaJack,

I wont be placing my order until early next week. If you have a chance to test your Lockout Die before then that would be great. Id really like to hear your feedback on it since you already have been using the Powder Cop Die. Pros and Cons of both or just an honest opinion on which one you would recommend and why is really what Im looking for.
Thanks!

dudel
11-06-2010, 06:07
Maybe I'll do that tonight or tomorrow... casting right now.

Jack

WoW! I'd like to see Jack multi task like that. Casting with one hand, typing with the other.:wow:

His ex's must have some stories indeed!

IndyGunFreak
11-06-2010, 06:16
Something you might be overlooking... It's not a big deal, but in order to use the Powder Cop on a LNL, you're going to either have to buy the powder through expanders, so you can drop powder and expand at the same time.... or... you're going to have to seat and crimp in the same station.

Just something to think about.... Good luck on your purchase!

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2010, 07:54

Bob

Thats funny, Why do you have two just sitting there?

Bob2223
11-06-2010, 08:02
Thats funny, Why do you have two just sitting there?

My two LNLs are mounted those two are for you and Boxer when ya get ready for em.

:supergrin:

Bob

ursoboostd
11-06-2010, 09:46
<------ Also lookin fwd to Jack's review on the Lock Out Die. I'm getting ready to buy one of the two for my 223 setup. -Wade-

GioaJack
11-06-2010, 10:06
WoW! I'd like to see Jack multi task like that. Casting with one hand, typing with the other.:wow:

His ex's must have some stories indeed!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...

Under estimate the ITALIAN AVENGER. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
11-06-2010, 11:36
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...

Under estimate the ITALIAN AVENGER. :whistling:

Jack

For those who don't know, the Italian Avenger is Italian sausage that has been out in the sun too long at a cookout.:wavey:

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2010, 13:37
I need a "proof of life" that those are actually in the box. Go grab a newspaper and a camera.

m2hmghb
11-06-2010, 14:01
The way I use my lock out is to have the crimp die on a single stage. I load up however many rounds I want on the Dillon then run them through the single stage to crimp, works fine and I feel a bit better with the lock out die there.

IndyGunFreak
11-06-2010, 14:45
I need a "proof of life" that those are actually in the box. Go grab a newspaper and a camera.

I stepped in to give Bob a hand... The irony of the newspaper article I found was staggering.. :rofl:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/100340.jpg

GioaJack
11-06-2010, 15:07
I stepped in to give Bob a hand... The irony of the newspaper article I found was staggering.. :rofl:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j263/IndyGunFreak/100340.jpg

You people all need professional psychological help... starting with Indy and continuing on from there.

Here I'm dragging this stupid oxygen hose around, risking my very life setting up the RCBS Lock-Out die and taking pictures so we don't end up reading about poor little Flipz in the obituaries.

Go ahead, have your fun, make sport of a sickly, feeble old man... I shall reap my reward in the hereafter... well, maybe not. My dog will miss me when I'm gone... well, maybe not that either. :crying:

Hey, hey, hey... Avatar is on HBO tonight, is that the one with the blue people that was in the movies... I've never seen it. Sounds like it might be a good thing to watch while I'm eating my spaghetti with meat sauce and hard boiled eggs.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
11-06-2010, 15:11
Hey, hey, hey... Avatar is on HBO tonight, is that the one with the blue people that was in the movies... I've never seen it. Sounds like it might be a good thing to watch while I'm eating my spaghetti with meat sauce and hard boiled eggs.

Jack

I didn't care for Avatar... I've got friends who loved it... not for me.

Spaghetti... :puking: I'm sure since you're Italian, that's not something you could understand, but I got sick on it one time as a kid... and never ate it again.

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2010, 15:26
Photo shop junkie.

IndyGunFreak
11-06-2010, 15:32
Photo shop junkie.

ptf! Photoshop!?!?! It's a real article, Google it... :)

Actually, being an open source nerd, I would never in a gazillion years pay for Photoshop..

http://www.gimp.org/

GioaJack
11-06-2010, 15:34
I didn't care for Avatar... I've got friends who loved it... not for me.

Spaghetti... :puking: I'm sure since you're Italian, that's not something you could understand, but I got sick on it one time as a kid... and never ate it again.

IGF

That's because you lesser, non-Italians boil some noodles, throw ketchup on it and call it spaghetti.

My authentic Italian cuisine has been the piece de resistance in my seduction of many fine, fine looking women. :supergrin:

(My mommy taught me how to cook... she just never realized the nefarious ways I'd use the knowledge. :whistling:)

I have completed my test of the Lock-Out die along with the accompanying photos and shall now set about creating a work of literary genius in which to communicate my findings. (Alright, I'll peck away at the keyboard and hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.)

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2010, 15:49
LOL, I didn't read it. Where is the complete article?

IndyGunFreak
11-06-2010, 16:18
LOL, I didn't read it. Where is the complete article?

LOL... It's a joke... I used a "Joke" page to create it. Just coming up w/ that pushed my creativity to the edge. I'm sure Jack could have written a 5 page novel if it would allow him (but it only lets you do a few paragraphs.. so I had to be brief)

IGF

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2010, 16:23
Always leave the audience wanting more. Good job.

Bob2223
11-06-2010, 16:32

I dont get a paper hows this?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_3127.jpg

The bottom one is for Boxer G.

Bob

EL_NinO619
11-06-2010, 17:12

Bob

Can i PLEASE have one..:tongueout: PLEASE

Colorado4Wheel
11-06-2010, 17:30
I dont get a paper hows this?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/BobMKIII/100_3127.jpg

The bottom one is for Boxer G.

Bob

Wow. Send it on over.

Boxerglocker
11-06-2010, 17:30
How much???? :wavey:

EL_NinO619
11-06-2010, 17:33
I want a LNL Sooooooooo Bad, how much. Can my Broke A** afford it???

Bob2223
11-06-2010, 17:50
How much???? :wavey:

I want a LNL Sooooooooo Bad, how much. Can my Broke A** afford it???

LNL $389.00 !
Special today you get not 500 but 600 free bullets !

"Choose free bullets only from cast bullets in stock"

Bob

EL_NinO619
11-06-2010, 17:58
LNL $389.00 !

Bob

Will you take installments, or my first born? What if i do not mind if i don't get cast bullets?

Bob2223
11-06-2010, 18:26
Will you take installments, or my first born? What if i do not mind if i don't get cast bullets?

Sorry I have to make sure Boxer and Steve get one first. :whistling:
This is just a joke no LNLs for sale.

Bob

Boxerglocker
11-06-2010, 19:01
LNL $389.00 !

Bob

Delivery included?! :supergrin:

Bob2223
11-06-2010, 19:13
Delivery included?! :supergrin:

Right !
Next you'll be wantin a custom bench shipped free with it!

Try to help a guy out and see where it gets ya :upeyes:

Bob

Boxerglocker
11-06-2010, 19:24
Right !
Next you'll be wantin a custom bench shipped free with it!

Try to help a guy out and see where it gets ya :upeyes:

Bob

Hey, you almost had me if it was.... :whistling:

Bob2223
11-06-2010, 19:30
Hey, you almost had me if it was.... :whistling:

Let me think about it then :upeyes:

This is a joke no LNL's are for sale !

EL_NinO619
11-06-2010, 20:38
I Still want..I will start saving. Would i still be able to get bullets from Hornady?

Flipz
11-06-2010, 21:56
Hornady's bullet deal ends 12/31/10.