Compact Binoculars [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Compact Binoculars

The Wizard
11-05-2010, 15:40
I don't want to be caught in the situation like Dana Andrews in "A Walk In The Sun" were they get the the farmhouse and the binoculars are with the dead medic back on the beach. I have some 8 X 30 Ziess that I have for serious work but I would like a compact binoculars I can carry daily (in the breifcase) along with other items. Any suggestion as to what ones I should be looking at. I am think for about $200 I should be able to get a very good binoculars.

JC Refuge
11-05-2010, 16:25
Well, I'm not sure about the movie reference--but here's what I can tell you ...

There are more binoculars, monoculars, scopes, and telescopes out there than you can imagine. Much really depends on your own preferences, your environment, your own fit and vision needs, desired range and clarity, portability, robustness, etc.

As a first step, I'd go into a good sporting goods store and get a feel for a few of the types and brands of binocs or scopes that are on hand. Be prepared to be amazed at the range in prices in optics.

Online, I know of no better place to zero in on optics--for choice and price--than B&H. They list almost 900 different binocs, as an example.

Here is a link to a page in your price range to get you started there: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Binoculars/pn/20/ci/1010/Ns/p_PRICE_2|0/N/4294541827

The Wizard
11-05-2010, 16:57
JC Refuge,
You have never seen "A Walk In The Sun"? It is a classic WW2 film. Dana Angrews, Richard Conte and Lloyd Bridges (before Sea Hunt) and John Ireland. The objective of the platoon is a farmhouse a little walk in the sun away. When they get to the farmhouse they can't tell if has Germans in it because Dana Andrews loan the binoculars to the medic who got KIA on the beach and he didn't police them up. I don't want to be caught in a situation where I am forced to rely just on my naked sight.