Thoughts: VMII or CBST for 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts: VMII or CBST for 1911?

cole
11-06-2010, 01:00
I have the Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe in horsehide for my 4" Kimber and Glock 30 and like it overall for both. Got both mine used for $50 and $70. Also have Kydex IWB for both guns.

However, there is the persistent alure of the Milt Sparks Versa Max II in black horsehide for my 4" Kimber Stainless (all steel) Compact I. Something about my 1911 in a VMII makes me feel warm and fuzzy. But, I'm resisting the impulse buy.

I am specifically looking for input on these two holsters from those that currently own or have owned both, especially for the 1911 AND considering the relative price of each. Likes? Dislikes? Fit? Comfort? Gun retention? How have they held up with (heavy) use? Is the VMII worth the extra funds generally? Is the VMII worth twice the cost of the CBST specifically? If you ordered the VMII again would you change any options? Other thoughts?

Thanks. :wavey:

BuckyP
11-06-2010, 02:12
The VM-2 is an excellent holster, and I've had 3 of them, all since sold. Problem for me is, I need the gun to be a little lower in the waistband. If the ride height works for you, go for it. If you need a little lower, try a TT Gunleather Mikes Special. That is what I'm using for my Kobra Carry and it is working out really well. For IWB, I prefer all leather.

Holsters are such an individual thing, usually more so than the choice of gun. I've tried quite a few holsters over the years to find out what works.. for me.

knedrgr
11-06-2010, 02:13
I have a VM2 for one of my 1911, and I have another one on order for another 1911. The VM2 is my first leather holster for this platform and I love it!

rsxr22
11-06-2010, 05:38
Go to the holster subforum. His name is Kwart, he makes CBST copies and their awesome. Ive been using CB for years, These are equally as good in quality and their only $55. Just check out the thread, its filled with rave reviews

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194122

TurboRocket
11-06-2010, 05:57
Neither. I'd go with a Brommeland Max-Con V.

I have a VM2 for a Commander and CBST for other guns. I also have a VM2, CBST, Kwart and a Max-Con V for my Glock 19/23. The VM2 is still too thick for me. I choose MCV.

Quack
11-06-2010, 06:45
of the 2 listed, the VMII. i had a CBST to hold me over until i got my VMII in. the CBST was nice, but there's a lot of leather on it. there are other holsters out there similar in design to the VMII and you'll have a shorter wait to get one.

ajgranda
11-06-2010, 07:16
Tuckers Answer, Leather lined of course. . It fits very tight to your body. That's great if you have minimal love handles, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're 50+ lbs overweight.

SIGShooter
11-06-2010, 10:03
First, the CBST is frickin huge!

Second, I cannot stand Kydex with my 1911.

The VMII, in my opinion, is one of the most comfortable holsters I have ever used. It displaces the weight of a full size 1911 perfectly. The only down side to the VMII, again my opinion, they like to slip a lot when a shirt is tucked inside the pants.

On a side note, I'm thinking about using grip tape on the back of the holster to aid in helping locking the holster in place.

nolt
11-06-2010, 11:15
if i am going to be in a situation where i will need to disarm and secure the weapon but for whatever reason prefer to leave the holster on.... then ill wear the CB ST. thats not recommended for any holster really but i dont mind doing it with the ST personally.

thats about the only time, and its pretty rare that i find myself in that situation.

ive got VM2s and VM2 clones. for whatever reason the VM2 just has the geometry perfect for my body with regards to pulling the grip in. the back belt loop attachment point is more rigid and stiff perhaps than some of the clones, which let the grip relax outward and print a bit more.

some people gripe about the VM2 riding a bit high but i like it. it sits up over my pelvis and angles the grip end of the gun inward. its also got proper clearance for a good unobstructed draw.

the only negative i can see for the VM2 inho is the wait. i certainly think its worth the price. i wish it didnt take so damn long to get them but theyve been making them this way for a long time and im not about to start criticizing their business practices. kinda reminds me of that great little restaurant that gets busy and moves to a bigger location and then their food sucks. id prefer they do whatever they have to do to keep the product to standard.

knedrgr
11-06-2010, 11:48
the only negative i can see for the VM2 inho is the wait. i certainly think its worth the price.

Me too.

the OP, just order it now, and wait for about 6 months. Then if you don't like it, sell it, it'll last about 5 minutes on the market. :wow:

swinokur
11-06-2010, 19:03
Just ordered one. 24-30 week wait. Patience is a virtue

AZ Husker
11-06-2010, 19:20
There is no contest. The Sparks is the most popular IWB in history. I've got one for every size pistol I own.

knedrgr
11-06-2010, 22:01
My DW CCO sits in the safe because I won't carry it in anything other than a VM2. So I have to wait until next June. :-(

Johnspark
11-07-2010, 18:47
Take a look at a Nick Matthews VM2 clone. It's a great holster, rides low and tight.

Wade-19
11-07-2010, 19:49
I have VMIIs for my G-19, PCR , and my commander. I have not carried the commander in it yet because the upper is at a well known smiths getting a make over. I'm just gonna say it, I'm fat, and these holsters rock !!! Get one and thank me later.

lawdog734
11-07-2010, 22:41
My DW CCO sits in the safe because I won't carry it in anything other than a VM2. So I have to wait until next June. :-(

I can carry it for you until your holster comes in...

bluelineman
11-07-2010, 22:41
Go to the holster subforum. His name is Kwart, he makes CBST copies and their awesome. Ive been using CB for years, These are equally as good in quality and their only $55. Just check out the thread, its filled with rave reviews

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1194122

+1 :thumbsup:

Tactical black
11-08-2010, 12:03
I would like to order the Bulman TSAP but he isn't taking orders right now so I'm gonna check with a local shop Andrews Leather (http://www.andrewsleather.com/) and see if they can build a holster to the same specs

remat
11-09-2010, 23:15
I voted CBSTD due to price, turn-around, thinness, and adjustability. Hard to beat bang for $.

knedrgr
11-10-2010, 08:52
I can carry it for you until your holster comes in...

I can carry it with the Raven Phantom, but I really don't want to introduce that nice CCO to kydex... :whistling:

If you get bored with that NN, I'll take it out for a few days... :supergrin: