New to 1911's / TRP on the way [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New to 1911's / TRP on the way

HomeLandPatriot
11-06-2010, 12:42
I haven't posted on glocktalk in a long time, but thought I'd share that I just joined the 1911 world with a SA TRP Service model, no rail and fixed NS.

Haven't received it yet from my FFL, but its on the way and I think I got a smoking deal, at least locally. Ended up $1400 OTD.

I've always said that I'll only buy high end quality pieces, and not being able to afford the relm of semi-custom on my salary, felt the TRP was a great starting point.

So anyway, just saying hi.

CanIhaveGasCash
11-06-2010, 12:48
You won't be disappointed with the TRP. I have the Operator version with the light rail and it has been 100% reliable through over 1500 rounds. The front strap checkering is a bit harsh, but it serves my purposes well. It's also a tack driver.

Gary1911A1
11-06-2010, 12:59
My TRP is great. It has been 100% reliable since I got it, which I don't think I can saw for any other 1911 in it's price range I got. Accuracy is 2" and under from a bench at 25 yards. I really wonder if mine is typical and if so I think the FBI would of just of been as well served for $1000 less.

glock2740
11-06-2010, 13:15
Congrats! I love my TRP.

CigarheadRNB
11-06-2010, 16:08
I am confused by them, only because the always seem to be for sell with low round counts. A lot. But I know they are very nice.

I like the one I had, no rail, traded it unfired. Just like to carry concealed and it was more of a tactical gun to me. With the ambi safety and mag-well it's going to print a bit more.

But tactical pistol, OH YEAH, nice choice. And as long as you like your local I applaud you for supporting them, I will say I hope you didn't have to pay tax on top

glock2740
11-06-2010, 16:13
I am confused by them, only because the always seem to be for sell with low round counts. A lot. ...

I like the one I had, no rail, traded it unfired.

Now, I am confused. :dunno:

EricandSuebee
11-06-2010, 19:08
Why would you buy it and never fire it to only sell it???

rsxr22
11-06-2010, 19:37
I think people sell them with relatively low round counts is because they dump 1400 to 1500 in to them and then realize they could have had a semi custom for a little more and want to get rid of them before they get holster wear and high round counts, just a thought

bac1023
11-06-2010, 19:55
I haven't posted on glocktalk in a long time, but thought I'd share that I just joined the 1911 world with a SA TRP Service model, no rail and fixed NS.

Haven't received it yet from my FFL, but its on the way and I think I got a smoking deal, at least locally. Ended up $1400 OTD.

I've always said that I'll only buy high end quality pieces, and not being able to afford the relm of semi-custom on my salary, felt the TRP was a great starting point.

So anyway, just saying hi.

Congrats on a great 1911. :thumbsup:

BubbaShoots
11-06-2010, 20:19
You got a good one. My TRP has been flawless. It was my first 1911. It was so good, I am now addicted to 1911's...have 4 and saving for my next one. (Hey guys, don't laugh at my only having 4, even Bac n Quack started with only one.)

brisk21
11-06-2010, 21:10
I think people sell them with relatively low round counts is because they dump 1400 to 1500 in to them and then realize they could have had a semi custom for a little more and want to get rid of them before they get holster wear and high round counts, just a thought

Not me. I bought a TRP cause thats what I wanted. I will probably get a semi-custom (TRP Pro or Wilson Combat CQB, or both) some day but I won't get rid of the TRP. Holster wear? High round count? HA!! That just gives me an excuse to send it in for some customization. :tongueout:

jknight8907
11-06-2010, 21:49
I am confused by them, only because the always seem to be for sell with low round counts. A lot. But I know they are very nice.

I like the one I had, no rail, traded it unfired. Just like to carry concealed and it was more of a tactical gun to me. With the ambi safety and mag-well it's going to print a bit more.

But tactical pistol, OH YEAH, nice choice. And as long as you like your local I applaud you for supporting them, I will say I hope you didn't have to pay tax on top

How could you know if you like it if you never fired it? That's like having a favorite gun because you saw a picture of it in a magazine. Not nearly an accurate opinion.

Big_Drunk
11-06-2010, 21:55
My TRP is great. It has been 100% reliable since I got it, which I don't think I can saw for any other 1911 in it's price range I got. Accuracy is 2" and under from a bench at 25 yards. I really wonder if mine is typical and if so I think the FBI would of just of been as well served for $1000 less.

I agree!

TKR Reptiles
11-07-2010, 10:21
Good luck with it... My friend has had two high end SA 1911's... One of which is the TRP... They both had major issues... His TRP ran one mag fine and now won't shoot more than to rounds without horribly malfunctioning... He called Springfield and they told him to run 200 to 300 rounds through it because "the tolerances are too tight"... That is the biggest load of crap and worse customer service I've ever heard... I asked him if they were going to send him $100.00 to $125.00 worth of ammo they want him to shoot through it to fix they design mistakes...

MD357
11-07-2010, 10:36
Good luck with it... My friend has had two high end SA 1911's... One of which is the TRP... They both had major issues... His TRP ran one mag fine and now won't shoot more than to rounds without horribly malfunctioning... He called Springfield and they told him to run 200 to 300 rounds through it because "the tolerances are too tight"... That is the biggest load of crap and worse customer service I've ever heard... I asked him if they were going to send him $100.00 to $125.00 worth of ammo they want him to shoot through it to fix they design mistakes...

You sure he doesn't own a Kimber? Doesn't really sound like a legit Springfield reponse going on all the first hand accounts posted here and other forums.

glock2740
11-07-2010, 11:12
I smell a troll.:clown:

CigarheadRNB
11-07-2010, 11:13
Forgive me,
I did not say I liked how it fired.
I was not going to get in to that in his thread, I chose not to fire it and sell it, and that is as far as I will go being a gentleman. meant no harm commenting and this is what I meant by it. I never said I liked how accurate it was or that it shot well, I said LIKED IT.

I like the balance, the feel of the controls, they seemed well made and fit, the frame to slide fit was very good for a production firearm and I liked it but sold it without shooting it. The barrel and bushing were very nicely done fitting wise.

I only said that I see them for sell a lot because I don't think many people think like I do, knowing that, I see a lot of them for sale and most so far have been under 200 or even unfired.

I am glad you asked what I meant instead of just dismissing it?

Sorry for any confusion.

TKR Reptiles
11-07-2010, 11:21
You sure he doesn't own a Kimber? Doesn't really sound like a legit Springfield reponse going on all the first hand accounts posted here and other forums.

I smell a troll.:clown:

I am 100% sure it what it is... The first gun he had an issue with was a EMP 9mm, and they told him to send it in... The had it fixed and back to him in a week so that wasn't too bad... BUT the service he got with his TRP issue I think was ridiculous...

The exact words of the guy he talked to were "It probably just has really tight tolerance's. Oil it up really heavy and then run 200 to 300 rounds through it. I don;t care if it messes up every round, male sure you run the rounds through it. If you send it in all we are going to do is take it apart, lube it up, and run a magazine through it. If we have no issues we will send it back."

I am not trying to start problems, I am just giving my honest opinion... To me that isn't the best way to handle it... I will admit the gun itself looks really nice, and seems to be a really nicely built weapon.. That is enough tho to make me never own one...

MD357
11-07-2010, 11:43
The had it fixed and back to him in a week so that wasn't too bad...

Ya think? :dunno:

Forgive me,
I did not say I liked how it fired.
I was not going to get in to that in his thread, I chose not to fire it and sell it, and that is as far as I will go being a gentleman. meant no harm commenting and this is what I meant by it. I never said I liked how accurate it was or that it shot well, I said LIKED IT.

What is that compels people to voice an opinion when they lack experience? Hint: Ergonomics, accuracy, and reliability at the range is FAR more imporatant than fondling something at the door of your safe.

CigarheadRNB
11-07-2010, 11:50
On finer tighter handguns
that is actually good advice bud, Break in is required on most higher end tighter fitting frames.
Over oiling it allows it to move, then you would run the rounds pending no jams, 100 of them, break it down, clean it very well, over lube it a bit again, 150 to 200 more, repeat with normal oiling, then you are going to know if your dependable with it.
One mag means nothing. That advice is the same you would get from most higher end gun makers. There are a lot of factors in tighter slides that may not be seen until the oil is thicker viscosity due to the metal and dirt building up in it, it's like breaking in a car old school.
You don't have ot do it any more, on production cars now. But metal to metal on a tight fit is going to remove metal. It's just fact. You would not see this as much on a Springfield GI or over half their models. But the TRP is fitted for longevity, if I can shake a 1911 and hear it, I don't want it, but that is personal opinion.

Wilson Runs 80 rounds at the factory before your gun leaves there. Some do one round, some do one mag, some do a checklist 200 items long, but the tight ones are done by man.

I have given and followed that advice on tight slides and always made it work out. Never had one I had to send back, Knock on wood

CigarheadRNB
11-07-2010, 11:55
Ya think? :dunno:

What is that compels people to voice an opinion when they lack experience? Hint: Ergonomics, accuracy, and reliability at the range is FAR more imporatant than fondling something at the door of your safe.

Are you speaking to me when you reference that? Is this a pissing match or a firearm discussion?
What compels me to make a post like that is experience with many types and brands. I was here to add to the discussion based on the OP's post, not yours, and I was simply making the comment that i see them for sell a lot with low rounds. If you can't pick up a gun and know you would need to do a trigger job or have something tightened or refit, that may be a lack of experience. Why you chose to act like that just shooting the poop about guns is beyond me.

I am sorry i didn't want to shoot it so I could get most of my money back?

MD357
11-07-2010, 15:22
Are you speaking to me when you reference that?

Absolutely. You ARE the individual that apparently owned one, never shot it, but felt obligated to comment yes? It's not a pissing contest by any means. Just a simple observation that ACTUAL SHOOTING experience is FAR MORE important than opinions based on superficial fondling.

On finer tighter handguns
that is actually good advice bud, Break in is required on most higher end tighter fitting frames.
Over oiling it allows it to move, then you would run the rounds pending no jams, 100 of them, break it down, clean it very well, over lube it a bit again, 150 to 200 more, repeat with normal oiling, then you are going to know if your dependable with it.

Actually, this philosophy is product of manufacturers giving excuses for an improperly setup 1911. A "fine" and "tight" 1911 should run 100%, if properly set up from whomever built it.

maxim240sx
11-07-2010, 16:11
I hope your new TRP is great out of the box. Mine is the one reptile man is referring to. I picked up a NIB one from an individual for $1000. We ran one mag and it was fine, the second mag the slide almost locked up every round. I took it to the smith at the range and he took a look. He said there were burr's on the slide and it was hanging up on the barrel. So I didn't shoot anymore rounds that day. Called SA the next day and the guy I spoke to told me about the tight tolerances and said I really need to fire Atleast 200rds. He said if I send it in, they will take it apart, clean it, test fire it and if it seems fine they will send it right back. Not the answer I wanted to really hear but I agreed to take it back to the range. This is the second $1000+ SA gun I've had issues with. I sure it will all work out, but so far I'm not real impressed with SA's 1911's. But I LOVE the TRP, so I'm going to stay optimistic. Good luck with your new one and lets see some pics when you pick up that beauty!!

rsxr22
11-07-2010, 19:01
You unfortuneatly got one bad one SA let slip out of the factory Maxim. But SA will make it right for you, im sure of it. One thing about SA is they have the best CS in the game imo. Perfect example, customer bought a TRP in our shop. He decided he wanted to strip it and put it back together in the store, when reassembling, he put an idiot scratch in the frame. He called SA in the store and they said " send it on in and we'll take care of that for you!" but be more careful next time LOL. I had a Kimber SIS, bought a Blade-tech holster for it, used it one time and saw that the finish rubbed off on the front part of the slide. I called Kimber, they said, "we dont warranty normal wear and tear" I became angry and asked how that was normal wear and tear and then told them if they didnt make it right, i would make sure to spread the story about their lack off CS. The supervisor got on the phone and said "sorry for the way you feel" and hung up on me....

TKR Reptiles
11-07-2010, 19:49
You unfortuneatly got one bad one SA let slip out of the factory Maxim. But SA will make it right for you, im sure of it. One thing about SA is they have the best CS in the game imo...

I honestly do not feel that someone basically saying "sorry you got a bad one, now go spend even more money on ammo to fix our design flaw... If you send it in we are gonna clean and send it back without doing anything to it..." is good customer service... Not being rude, just stating an opinion...

maslin
11-07-2010, 20:02
Nice to see you over here chuck. When ever I make it back to your side of the country we're gonna have to go shooting.

Gary1911A1
11-08-2010, 10:03
Have you clean and lube the TRP? Most 1911 like to run wet, especially when new. Honestly, it sounds like you call Kimber's CS instead of Springfield's.

TKR Reptiles
11-08-2010, 11:32
I love the Kimber bashing on here, it is so hilarious... I have had 4 Kimbers in the last 7 years and never had a single issue with their guns... Their CS was also very good anytime I had a question for them... I would be willing to bet if I had ever had any issues they wouldn't tell me to just run some rounds through it because they aren't going to do anything for me...

rsxr22
11-08-2010, 15:13
I honestly do not feel that someone basically saying "sorry you got a bad one, now go spend even more money on ammo to fix our design flaw... If you send it in we are gonna clean and send it back without doing anything to it..." is good customer service... Not being rude, just stating an opinion...
TRP's are tightly fitted guns, just like semi-customs in lots of respects. I agree with your statements when comparing break in periods to polymer pistols cause i think its a load of crap, but when talking about steel pistols tolerances and fitting is completely different. Hell, Kimber requires a break-in period and mine after about 500-600 rounds rattled like an old GI

rsxr22
11-08-2010, 15:16
I love the Kimber bashing on here, it is so hilarious... I have had 4 Kimbers in the last 7 years and never had a single issue with their guns... Their CS was also very good anytime I had a question for them... I would be willing to bet if I had ever had any issues they wouldn't tell me to just run some rounds through it because they aren't going to do anything for me...

That's exactly what they would tell you to do. Try it out, tell em you just got a new ( Kimber ????) and you put 200 rounds through it and your having tons of feeding issues and see what they say. Sure there CS is great when asking questions or paying for something but when you want them to fix one of their mistakes--have fun!:wavey:

ambluemax
11-08-2010, 20:00
TRP= "poor man's" semi custom. You have to shoot a lot to tell the difference and even more to appreciate it enough to spend the money. Mine has served me well- pride of my collection.

Low round count trades- some people get their kicks from buying and trading guns all the time. Not my cup of tea, but it blows some people's hair back (not targeted at anyone in particular)

maxim240sx
11-08-2010, 20:33
I know the gun will turn out great. I shot two TRP's at the range and I fell in love. It just lets some wind out of your sails when it doesn't run properly out of the box. But I'm going to take SA's advice. If it fails to clear up it'll get a free round trip tune up like my EMP did. I will say like everyone else they have excellent CS and will fix any issues for life. Gotta say sorry for whoring up the OP's thread btw :)

HomeLandPatriot
11-09-2010, 14:03
I finally have an arrival date, this Thursday. So pretty excited about that, trying to find 1000rnds of 45 to put through it :). I was told that the TRP is actually quite rare these days, not to say it is a rare pistol, just hard to get ahold of in my area.

I'll be sure to post up some pictures when it comes in.

As to the one guy that just held his and then sold, all I can do is echo is what others have said, maybe you just should of shot it first?

and to the other poster with problems, hope everything works out for you, I know 1911's can be permpermental, but we gotta remember, if were spending thousands of dollars on the hardware, you have to be able to afford the up keep. I could purchase a GRP Recon (which I really want to do) but would have nothing left over....just something to keep in mind.

Anyway, im still stoked about my purchase and it will be a treasured piece of my collection, but it will also be a working gun, so holster wear and asphault scratches will only bring character!

As an aside, anyone here carry/carried a 1911 on or off duty? Would love to hear your setups around a 1911.

MD357
11-09-2010, 14:42

The ironic thing is Kimber routinely cites that their guns need a break in period. I believe they even put it in their manual. Not being rude, just stating the facts.

Now, anyone is welcome to read the reviews of SA's customer service on the forums to Kimber's hit or miss. This is hardly scientific but a good primer for info IMO.

Also, bad CS stories can happen to anyone.... one of the local guys posted this pic after a few boxes of rounds

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/JD8/IMG_0688.jpg

Now Kimber merely offered to send this guy a replacement hammer to fix this. Can you tell me why this is wrong in several ways?

brisk21
11-09-2010, 14:55
The ironic thing is Kimber routinely cites that their guns need a break in period. I believe they even put it in their manual. Not being rude, just stating the facts.

Now, anyone is welcome to read the reviews of SA's customer service on the forums to Kimber's hit or miss. This is hardly scientific but a good primer for info IMO.

Also, bad CS stories can happen to anyone.... one of the local guys posted this pic after a few boxes of rounds

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d8/JD8/IMG_0688.jpg

Now Kimber merely offered to send this guy a replacement hammer to fix this. Can you tell me why this is wrong in several ways?

Is that an MIM part?:popcorn:

HomeLandPatriot
11-13-2010, 06:47
Well thought I'd update. It seems springfield has put me in a spot. Apparently my TRP was the only one in circulation for the time being. Upon receipt from my fflks distributor, it was the wrong pistol. They sent a SS operator model. And now springfield is saying they don't have any on shelves but a batch is being produced.

Luckily they are supposed to ship to distributors on Monday and ill have mine maybe wed/thursday.

A bummer since I bought the gun 2 weeks ago now, but luckily they didn't say it'll be next month.

But while I was waiting I picked up 1000rnds of ammo, 500rnds of Ranger T and 500 of Lawman practice ammo :) can't wait to break this puppy in.

PS: I'm thinking about picking up some new magazines for a couple of different firearms, any suggestions for the TRP? Or will the springfield mags suffice for the time being?

den888
11-13-2010, 23:26
Congrats !

carguy2244
11-14-2010, 06:28
I find just the opposite about TRP supply. I boight my new one yesterday because I kept seeing them alll over.

rgb03
11-14-2010, 06:48
I find just the opposite about TRP supply. I boight my new one yesterday because I kept seeing them alll over.

i guess it depends where you are. where i live in PA they are hard to come buy. every dealed around me didnt have one and didnt know when one would come in. just about everyone told me it could be two weeks or two months. i happen to stumble upon one and jumped on it.

HomeLandPatriot
11-23-2010, 12:40
TRP arrived yesterday! Went straight from the funstore to the range, and all I can say is wow. Why didn't I so this sooner! First shot from about 15 yards was dead center bullseye, not a bad way for a pistol to start its life!

Fired 200rds of speer lawman, only had one FTE, directly attributable to the ammo. Then fired 50rds of Ranger T for function. More of that to come next outing.

I can't express how happy I am with this purchase. I ended up with an Operator model with the adjustable sights and rail, but I am completely fine with that. The sights are much more robust than I anticipated. I did find though that about about 200rds my accuracy went to crap, so more practice with the 1911 platform is needed. Also first time shooting 45acp in a while, so that'll be it as well.

Well, without further a due, pictures!

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/homelandpatriot/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjQtMjAxMDExMjMtMTQxOS5qcGc.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/homelandpatriot/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjAtMjAxMDExMjMtMTQxNS5qcGc.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/homelandpatriot/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjMtMjAxMDExMjMtMTQxOC5qcGc.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss74/homelandpatriot/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMjEtMjAxMDExMjMtMTQxNS5qcGc.jpg

I do have one question though. The two mags that came with the gun, I imagine they are SA mags, but it doesn't say so on them, nor can I find any online in the same configuration. SS 7 rounders with the drop pads?

I've got my loaded coupon all filled out, but don't want to send it off till I know for sure what I'm getting. And is there a way to order from SA with the coupon without putting down my S#? Wasn't expecting that.

20South
11-23-2010, 12:50
I do have one question though. The two mags that came with the gun, I imagine they are SA mags, but it doesn't say so on them, nor can I find any online in the same configuration. SS 7 rounders with the drop pads?

I've got my loaded coupon all filled out, but don't want to send it off till I know for sure what I'm getting. And is there a way to order from SA with the coupon without putting down my S#? Wasn't expecting that.

Call Springfield customer service. I had the same issue. They will give you the part number and price (which was $29).

rsxr22
11-23-2010, 13:21
great looking TRP

bobtail1911
11-23-2010, 13:25
Awesome gun! The TRP is a great gun, super reliable and looks good to boot. CS is top notch at springfield so you want have any problems there. Shoot the heck out of it and decide later on what you might want to change out...if anything. Good luck :wavey: