Gotta love the GAP [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love the GAP

dudel
11-07-2010, 05:53
That was a quick load development session for the 45 GAP. A couple of grains of BE topped with a Rainier 200 gr plated HP. I had several loads worked up, the middle one worked great.

What amazed me about the round were the chrono stats. 893 Avg FPS with a 13FPS ES and a 9 SD. (plus very good accuracy at 50').

I had seen low numbers from the Speer factory ammo, so I had somewhat of a benchmark. For the record, I beat the Speer numbers. I've never been able to get that kind of ballistic consistency from 45 ACP.

I really like that round. It's super easy to load. Uses SP, so I don't need to change primer assemblies. An easy case to light up and see the powder charge. Almost impossible to double charge the case (a double charge of even BE would almost overflow the case).

It all happened so quick, I may just try again with Unique and Power Pistol. However, I'm not sure I could beat those numbers (or the accuracy). Gotta find me a bunch more of those Rainiers.:supergrin:

Bello
11-07-2010, 06:30
i used to have saved up few hundred rounds of gap brass from my g38 but i moved and literally had no room for my round buckets so i tossed everything :steamed: i do like to shoot .45 gap but i still dont see anything really special about it

Hoser
11-07-2010, 07:07
I bought 5K once fired brass for something like $150.

I have been using it in my S&W 625 and 185 gn Berrys HB FMJ and N310.

Even with crappy bullets, accuracy is pretty good.

To me it seems like an efficient version of the 45 ACP.

I have a short chambered 45 barrel for one of my 1911s coming from KKM so I can try it there also.

Another bonus of the gap is I dont have to keep a bunch of large pistol primers around anymore. Just a few thousand for my 41 and thats it.

dudel
11-07-2010, 12:36
I bought 5K once fired brass for something like $150.

I have been using it in my S&W 625 and 185 gn Berrys HB FMJ and N310.

Even with crappy bullets, accuracy is pretty good.

To me it seems like an efficient version of the 45 ACP.

I have a short chambered 45 barrel for one of my 1911s coming from KKM so I can try it there also.

Another bonus of the gap is I dont have to keep a bunch of large pistol primers around anymore. Just a few thousand for my 41 and thats it.

Can I hear an AMEN! I'm amazed with the accuracy of the G38. It's my new favorite Glock. It is more efficient than the ACP. I end up using about a grain less of any given powder for the same projectile in GAP rounds over ACP. That means that I can load one more GAP round for every 5-6 ACP rounds.

When I finish off my supply of LPP, I'm going to retire my 45 ACP LP brass. I've just stocked up on several K of the small primered ACP brass (for the 1911 and P90). I'll stock SP high and deep and not worry about LP. It really makes switching calibers on the 550 a very quick process.