Problems with my Glock G20 (reloading + NY1)... some help please! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my Glock G20 (reloading + NY1)... some help please!

g20addicted
11-07-2010, 08:50
So, last night I started, for the first time, to reload some ammo for my 10mm G20C .

I use Vihtavuori N340 powder with 180gr TMJ (not full metal jacked) bullets.
Looking at the official Vih tables, I should go between 6 and 6,5 grains, but my armourer shop gave me another table where it stated that I could range from 5,5 to 7,4 grains.

I decided, anyway, to make two different loads: 6,2 and 6,7 grains (which correspond, respectively, to the .66 and .71 holes of the auto-disk of the Lee Deluxe Reloading pistol kit).

With BOTH of the loads, when I went shooting today at the range, the slide of the gun NEVER rested open at the end of the rounds... it ALWAYS closed back...
--> Am I using too soft loads? What could be the problem??

Furthermore,
I also decided to install the NY1 trigger to achieve a better feel on the trigger run (in a couple of days I should also be receiving the ghost 3,5lbs connector).

I installed it and the whole trigger assembly works fine, BUT, I can't disassemble the slide properly anymore.
I mean: when I want to remove the slide, I depress ("fire") the trigger, then do the usual procedure of "backening a bit" the slide and lowering the slide stop. But then when I push the slide forward, it stops quite immediately.
The only way to let the slide go off all the way is to press again the trigger to the end. This releases the slide.

I tried different times to remove and re-install the NY1, and also re-installed the stock spring, but still the slide would not come off normally... it seems that when I depress the trigger and then move the slide to remove it, the trigger comes bak partially forward, blocking the slide...
is there a special way of re-connecting the trigger bar once you change the spring inside?? am I doing something wrong?

Your help is very much appreciated guys!

thanks!!

JR
11-08-2010, 12:16
Regarding the reloading question: You posted your question in the GATE section. This is a special section that allows only you the original poster, and I the expert to respond. The question you asked seems to be looking for a wider response than just me? I feel you will be better served if you post this question in another section like General Glocking. If you post in General Glocking you are sure to get a wider variety of response.

Regarding the slide lock issue: You say you installed a NY trigger spring. When you reassembled the gun you got the slide stop spring installed incorrectly. The spring is not pushing the slide stop down where it needs to be. Remove the trigger pin & locking block pin and reinstall.

BTW: The NY trigger springs require a double pull of the trigger to disassemble. No worries. If you have the coil spring attached a single pull of the trigger is usually sufficient HOWEVER sometimes the slide will require a push forward

g20addicted
11-09-2010, 03:10
Regarding the slide lock issue: You say you installed a NY trigger spring. When you reassembled the gun you got the slide stop spring installed incorrectly. The spring is not pushing the slide stop down where it needs to be. Remove the trigger pin & locking block pin and reinstall.

For slide stop spring you mean this right?:
http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/799965.jpg
I think I installed it correctly. My glock, being a Gen3, has got the three pins in the frame (trigger housing pin and two slide pins).
Once I disassembled the whole gun, to reassemble it, I did the following steps:
1) Install the Locking block
2) Install the upper pin (locking block pin)
3) Install the slide lock lever
4) Install the lower pin (trigger pin)

this should be correct, right?

Consider that the problem isn't that the spring is not pushing the slide stop down where it needs to be, BUT that the slide stop does not go UP when the magazine is empty.

JR
11-09-2010, 10:21
The part in the pic is a current production (-2) extended slide stop, part number 7496.
The spring fits under the locking block pin. When installed correctly (In this position) it pushes the slide stop down and away from the arresting notch of the slide.
When installed incorrectly, the spring will be on top of the locking block pin. This causes the spring to lift the slide stop into the arresting notch of the slide thereby locking it back on each shot.

The magazine follower has a small relief cut (flat) on the forward left hand side. The magazine spring lifts the follower causing the flat to engage the slide stop (shelf) and lifts it into the arresting notch of the slide. If your slide does not lock open on an empty magazine you have to do one of (or combination of) the following to correct it:
Replace the magazine spring
Replace the follower
Replace the slide stop
Recut the arresting notch of the slide

Before you start replacing anything: Remove the slide from the frame. Insert an empty magazine into the frame and verify the follower and slide stop are working as intended. You also need to verify the arresting notch is square cut at the point of engagement with the slide stop.

g20addicted
11-09-2010, 11:13
The combination follower - mag spring - slide stop lever should work just fine as when I check manually the slide lock with a mag inserted with NO rounds, the slide DO locks... and when I insert an empty mag on the frame (with no slide) it pushes the slide lock up very well...

so can it REALLY be that the cut in the slide side is too shallow?? Has that ever happened before?

JR
11-09-2010, 11:16
If you have done everything else.... It stands to reason the notch is not square. Take a pic and post it

g20addicted
11-09-2010, 13:12
here we go, two pics (sorry for the big size but it is easier to spot any defect...) :)
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8797/1001hp.jpg

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/502/1002fh.jpg

But still, what I can't figure out is: IF the problem were the loads... the slide does not lock because the load is too weak or because it is too strong and so the slide, coming back forward, has too much force and speed and just "jumps" the slide lock lever??

Thank you!

JR
11-09-2010, 14:11
If everything else checked out, mu guess is the arresting notch needs work. You will need to see an Armorer. I recommend to contact Fred at Glock Inc (Armorer). Email him a link to this thread and see what he has to say.