.30-06 elk load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .30-06 elk load

gjk5
11-07-2010, 11:36
going on a cow hunt in a couple of weeks, used to using 7MM mag but want to try out my new Savage.

I am probably going to go 165gr, leaning Hornady SST or Sierra GameKings mainly because they are about half the cost of Nosler, Barnes or Berger.

Any input on the SST's or GK's or any experience with the performance of the Nolser's, Barnes or Berger's appreciated.

fredj338
11-07-2010, 11:40
They are probably fine for cow elk if you aren't shooting them thru the shoulder or at sub 100yd range. Both bullets are a bit "soft" IMO for impact vel over 2700fps. FWIW, the bullet is the cheapest part of any hunt I go on. If I had to pay $5/bullet, I would. It's not varmint hunting, you are going to fire one or two shots, done. I want the bullet to make sure it does it's job. On elk, especially big bulls, I want a bullet/caliber/vel combo that will give me penetration to vitals from any resonable angle. You are sometimes lucky just to see an elk, waiting for the perfect broadside rib shot, not for me, that's how the big ones get away. They rarely give you a perfect shot.

gjk5
11-07-2010, 11:52
don't get me wrong, I don't mind paying for the higher end boolits if there is really an appreciable difference in performance. I just know I am going to be playing with loads for this new rifle long after the season is over.

165gr is probably the most commonly used elk load out here for '06, that's the only reason I lean that way. I highly doubt I will be that close and ideally would skip the shoulder for a heart/lung shot.

idahoglock36
11-07-2010, 12:58
I thought about going with the SST's this year and passed on using them. I would go with the 180 Nosler Partitions if it were me. In fact I did use them this season and found a nice 5x5 that dropped dead 20 yards from where he was standing when shot.

IMO the Partitions are hard to beat for elk. No problem going through the bone if that is the only shot you have....Why chance it go with a proven bullet. They have been really accurate out of the 06 for me.

gjk5
11-07-2010, 15:40
just went to Cabela's and grabbed some 180gr Partitions

Zombie Steve
11-07-2010, 16:52
I just use the cheepy 180 grain speer mag-tips, and they've worked great for me sitting on top of Reloader 22. Not the hottest load, but really consistently accurate from my 22" barrel 700... average a little over 2,600 fps out of my gun.

I think the Partitions are a better bullet, and I think you're going to be happy.

fredj338
11-07-2010, 16:58
just went to Cabela's and grabbed some 180gr Partitions
A good choice. It is what I load for my son in his 06. A bit hard for deer, but perfect elk bullet at any angle you can hit them. I use the NP exclusively for hunting deer through moose size game, 6.5 to 375h&h. The only round I don't is my 404jeffery & that is becasue they don't make one!

gjk5
11-07-2010, 17:35
I think the Partitions are a better bullet, and I think you're going to be happy.

I think I'm going to be really happy. Lived in CO for 15 years and didn't hunt until last year, grew up hunting in S TX but just got busy and fell out of it since my mid 20's.

Got a cow tag for 4th rifle on the Mesa and my boss invited me to go to his place, 2800 acres of private land that is a guide and outfitter operation archery through 3rd rifle.