Wolf / Tula primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wolf / Tula primers

Aquagear
11-07-2010, 12:40
A while back I posted a question about FTF's and wolf primers, after reading some of the posts and hearing all the replies I decided to do some comparing.
First thing my problems seemed to be from a seating issue,after changing the seating depth on my press the problem went away, so I decided to take some measurements. All I had on hand for comparison were Remington, Winchester, Wolf and Tula which are one in the same.

WSP: H .120"
W .175"

Rem. H .120"
W .175"

Wolf H .116"
Tula W .175

I guess the Wolf just take a little more care seating, hand priming would not be such a problem as you can feel the primer seat, I load on a progressive press and had to re adjust my seating ram. Just thought I would throw this out there, seemed to solve my problem.

Colorado4Wheel
11-07-2010, 16:05
Unless you are on a Lee Progressive or a Dillon 1050 your priming with a "push forward" setup. So no primer depth adjustment can be done.

Aquagear
11-07-2010, 16:44
I have a lee loadmaster, it has an adjustable ram so I can change depth, and for some reason even though they mike the same size they are a little harder to seat. I also put a case mouth flaring die over my priming stage, it seems to help keep the case true in the shell plate and help with the seating.

chris in va
11-09-2010, 23:36
I got tired of jamming Wolf primers into the pocket and went back to CCI. No more light strikes.

Boxerglocker
11-10-2010, 00:09
I got tired of jamming Wolf primers into the pocket and went back to CCI. No more light strikes.

Light strikes are the result of improper seating (too high) verified by second strikes that fire. I've never had and issue with Wolf/tula primers in my Glocks. I shot over 10K last year 99.9% and of the few I did have a problem with they all fire second time so it was all on me and my quality control.
No real extra effort required to seat them unless your hand priming maybe... my SDB seated them just fine though at times a little more effort than CCI or other depending on the brass. The XL650 and it's roller handle, basically no effort required.
I'll continue to use Wolf/Tula for my plinking/practice ammo at $18 a K on my purchase it drops me to about $90 a thousand using BC moly lead bullets.

BK63
11-10-2010, 17:47
I've been loading Wolf in 45 and 44 for a long time since I was forced to buy them during the primer shortage. Never had a problem with them yet and I've fired thousands of them. They seem to be harder like Winchester and Federal are softer. They have always worked good for me.

dla
11-10-2010, 21:26
A while back I posted a question about FTF's and wolf primers, after reading some of the posts and hearing all the replies I decided to do some comparing.
First thing my problems seemed to be from a seating issue,after changing the seating depth on my press the problem went away, so I decided to take some measurements. All I had on hand for comparison were Remington, Winchester, Wolf and Tula which are one in the same.

WSP: H .120"
W .175"

Rem. H .120"
W .175"

Wolf H .116"
Tula W .175

I guess the Wolf just take a little more care seating, hand priming would not be such a problem as you can feel the primer seat, I load on a progressive press and had to re adjust my seating ram. Just thought I would throw this out there, seemed to solve my problem.

SAAMI spec for large pistol is 0.118-0.122". So if you are talking LP, then the Wolf is undersized and will cause eratic ignition in revolvers. Of course, you never said what type of primer.

PCJim
11-10-2010, 21:50
dla, his data begins with WSP which i took to be Win SP. At least that's how I abbreviate them in my logbook.

dla
11-11-2010, 10:15
dla, his data begins with WSP which i took to be Win SP. At least that's how I abbreviate them in my logbook.

Ah, I see. I missed the "wsp". Just a note, small pistol primers are the same height as large pistol. Also, the spec actually refers to primer "pocket" depth - not the actual primer, so Wolf isn't technically "out of spec". But Wolf is shorter than the others.