Easy Case counter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Easy Case counter

dudel
11-07-2010, 16:33
I like to count cases out 100 at a time to anticipate when I'm nearing the end of a primer batch, so I generally count out 100 cases. It also serves as another way to tell when I'm nearing the end of the primer tube (the follower can stick). Sometimes I just want to set aside a couple hundred of such and such case. Other times I want to verify that the order of OF brass is indeed what I paid for. Counting brass gets tedious. So....

I got a Lee colator and a set of tubes. "Calibrated" them to know how many cases fit in a tube. In the case of 45GAP and 9mm, you can get 24 cases in a tube. I throw brass into the top of the funnel, give a quick shake and the tubes fill up. Only takes a few seconds. Add 4 more, lift the tubes and I've got 100 cases in the bag. Quick and easy and it's a Lee product that works well.

I'm working on a stand that will let me pick them one case at a time for feeding into the 550 or a single stage.

GioaJack
11-07-2010, 16:58
Wouldn't it be easier just to let the butler count them so you could spend some quality time with the maid.

Hey, I'm certainly open to any new systems that will make my loading sessions more pleasurable but I think I detect an unacceptable downside to this one. :supergrin:

Jack

dudel
11-07-2010, 17:26
Wouldn't it be easier just to let the butler count them so you could spend some quality time with the maid.

Hey, I'm certainly open to any new systems that will make my loading sessions more pleasurable but I think I detect an unacceptable downside to this one. :supergrin:

Jack

You got me there. I wonder what kind of butler Dick Lee would be? :whistling:

PCJim
11-07-2010, 18:14
Everyone has a potentially different means of accomplishing what they want. Me, I use the low primer warning on the 550b. I also use the reloading blocks I had obtained during my pre-550b days.

For packaging a large reloading batch, I still use those loading blocks to insure that 100 rounds get into each sandwich bag. :cool:

jmorris
11-07-2010, 18:41
I use a scale, it's a lot faster.

If you would like to know how many rounds of brass you have lying around, as I did, you can use the information below. If anyone wants to count them out to see how close my calculations are let me know what you find out.

9mm, 59.46gr/ea, 117.7cases/#, 8.5#/1000

38spl, 68.06gr/ea, 102.8cases/#, 9.7#/1000

40s&w, 70.1gr/ea, 99.9cases/#, 10#/1000

.357mag, 78.3gr/ea, 89.4cases/#, 11.2#/1000

.45acp, 89.58gr/ea, 78.1cases/#, 12.8#/1000

.223, 95.28gr/ea , 73.5cases/#, 13.6#/1000

.44mag, 114.38gr/ea, 61.2cases/#, 16.3#/1000

50bmg, 865.26gr/ea, 8.1cases/#, 123.5#/1000

All weights are uncleaned fired cases with the primer remaining.

Individual case weights were derived using an average of mixed brass weights (except 50bmg)

So, if you picked up 8#s of 45 brass: 8# X 78.1cases/# = 625 cases+/-

If you use 1gal ziploc freezer bags to store your brass, each (full) bag contains:

9mm, 15.6#, 1836cases
40s&w, 12.2#, 1219cases
45acp, 11.4#, 890cases
223, 11#, 809cases

If you use 5gal buckets each full one will have

9MM = 8500-9000 pieces
.40 S&W = 7000-7500 pieces
.45 ACP = 3800-4000 pieces
.223 = 3600 pieces

a few more

CASES per POUND:

.380: 145
.357 Sig: 96
.45 GAP: 86
.32: 168
10mm: 96
FN 5.7: 124
.25 acp: 260
.30 Luger: 120
.38 S&W: 120
.38 Super: 104
9mm MAK: 124
.45 Colt: 60
.30-M1: 100
.308: 40
.30-06: 35
7.62x39: 54
.50 AE: 48
.30-30: 52

ron59
11-08-2010, 10:31
I just use my low-primer warning system to know when it's going to run out?

I think you mentioned before "having to listen to it as you're finishing up", but you really don't have to do that. Once the primer *sounds*... there are THREE primers left. At least with SPP, that is. I"ve loaded 25,000, and that has always been the situation.

If I'm loading a "batch" and it goes off, I immediately pull the follower and dump another tube (100) in. If I'm on my last 100, I pull the follower, and count to myself as I add 3 empty cases. On the 3rd, it always pulls the last primer. Always.

If I want to "count" a LARGE number of cases (to verify that I indeed had 2000, for example).... I'd use the scale method. In my mind.... close enough is good enough with that large a number. Never needed to count 100 empty cases, don't see the point in it. To each his own, I guess.

GioaJack
11-08-2010, 10:40
One of the features of the Press Monitor is that it allows you to program in how many rounds you plan on loading that session or how many primers you're starting with which does away for the need of a low primer warning.

The machine is programable for using of different progressives such as priming on the second station, third, whatever so that you don't end up with primers when you think you're done.

If you need to load a certain amount of rounds for a match or whatever and you have priming problems during the session it also allows you to press a button and delete any bad rounds to keep an accurate count.

The thing is actually a lot of fun to play with.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-08-2010, 11:06
Get a low primer alarm. Dillon and RCBS sell them.

ron59
11-08-2010, 12:27

IIRC, he has one for his Dillon, but he doesn't like using it? That's why I posted what I did.

I don't understand the need for counting out 100 cases (regardless of how easy it "happens") when the low primer system tells you when you're about out? It is an annoying noise, but if you're going to keep loading, remove the follower and dump the next tube in (it will hold it). Noise gone. Or if you're ending your session, remove it and count to 3. No need to count to 100, regardless of how it's being done.

Boxerglocker
11-08-2010, 13:01
I simply weigh my brass on my postal scale that I keep on my prep side of the bench and use the low primer warning.

Colorado4Wheel
11-08-2010, 14:15
IIRC, he has one for his Dillon, but he doesn't like using it? That's why I posted what I did.

I don't understand the need for counting out 100 cases (regardless of how easy it "happens") when the low primer system tells you when you're about out? It is an annoying noise, but if you're going to keep loading, remove the follower and dump the next tube in (it will hold it). Noise gone. Or if you're ending your session, remove it and count to 3. No need to count to 100, regardless of how it's being done.

Why would you got through the trouble of counting brass rather then the low primer alarm. I just don't get that at all.

ron59
11-08-2010, 15:03
Why would you got through the trouble of counting brass rather then the low primer alarm. I just don't get that at all.

If I recall correctly... he didn't like the noise. I think when it "went off", he let it buzz as he loaded the last 3 primers? Cuz I'm with you... I read that a LONG time ago, and if he's been "counting out 100" pieces of brass since then until his new invention... I'm still scratching my head about that one. :dunno:

Dudel.... PLEASE don't take this as us "bashing" you (at least from me, won't speak for Steve. :wavey:). It just seems like you're over complicating something that is so simple.

Colorado4Wheel
11-08-2010, 15:09
We should start a fund to send him all our worn out batteries so his alarm would not be too loud. I am still waiting for mine to wear out even a little.

ron59
11-08-2010, 15:16
My batteries are 15 months old... out in my garage (through the winter and everything)... still going strong.

Maybe we could scrape up a donation of WTF to send him, too.

DUDEL!!!!! I'm just joking. I'm in a good mood for some reason today, please don't get offended.

shotgunred
11-08-2010, 15:40
I guess I am just lazy and cheap. I just watch my primer rod. When it is down to 2 primer sticking up I just add more. Dump my rounds into a hundred round plastic case. I grab my brass out of a five gallon bucket set on a box next to the press.

The low primer alarm must be one of those spare pieces of blue plastic on my desk.

ron59
11-08-2010, 15:45
I guess I am just lazy and cheap. I just watch my primer rod. When it is down to 2 primer sticking up I just add more. Dump my rounds into a hundred round plastic case. I grab my brass out of a five gallon bucket set on a box next to the press.

The low primer alarm must be one of those spare pieces of blue plastic on my desk.

I'm too busy watching my powder throw, and eying that next piece of brass (or bullet) I have to grab, to look at the primer rod. I'll just wait and listen for that "buzz" and know I'm about out.

I guess this shows there's more than one way to skin a cat....

shotgunred
11-08-2010, 16:28
From past problems with primer issues with a 550. I want to see the primer rod drop each time my handle is fully extended.

Primer feeding is the Achilles heal of the 550 series presses.

Colorado4Wheel
11-08-2010, 17:14
It always baffels me when people say the 550 doesn't feed primers. Mine does. If it doesn't it needs cleaned. Once clean it does again. It's not like I have to watch it every time. I just wait till it hicups and clean it. In between sessions I wipe it down to extend the time between major cleaings. If yours is messing up when clean you have a problem.

dudel
11-08-2010, 17:47

I HAVE the low primer alarm. I USE the low primer alarm. It's a double check. I've had the primer follower stick. Yes, I did add a 45 ACP case to the end of the follower. It did help.

Sometimes, the press isn't involved. I just need a case count of a batch of OF brass that just got prepped.

Hey! It's Lee stuff. Something I get accused (wrongly) of not using! :tongueout:

dudel
11-08-2010, 17:50
Dudel.... PLEASE don't take this as us "bashing" you (at least from me, won't speak for Steve. :wavey:). It just seems like you're over complicating something that is so simple.

Hey, no problem. What would this place be without a little ribbing?

Maybe overcomplicated, I just saw it as an easy way to count cases. Nothing more. I have a tare feature on my digital scale. I could use it to count brass. Thing is this is even quicker than using the tare feature. And what true reloader doesnt like the feel of clean brass? :embarassed:

dudel
11-08-2010, 17:52
It always baffels me when people say the 550 doesn't feed primers. Mine does. If it doesn't it needs cleaned. Once clean it does again. It's not like I have to watch it every time. I just wait till it hicups and clean it. In between sessions I wipe it down to extend the time between major cleaings. If yours is messing up when clean you have a problem.

No primer feed problems here (probably just jinxed myself). Of course, I over complicated things by changing over to small primered 45 ACP brass, and now starting up with 45 GAP. Everything is small primer. No primer assembly change outs for me.