.453 225gr 45 bullet:what can i use them for? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .453 225gr 45 bullet:what can i use them for?

Wash-ar15
11-07-2010, 16:38
Got some in trade a while back and loaded them up recently. out of 20 test rounds,4 would not chamber in my g21 or 1911.

So what can I do with the bullets. Would they work better in a revolver?

GioaJack
11-07-2010, 17:16
They'll probably work pretty well in .45 Colt, especially if it's an older one, they tended to have over sized bores.

May be fine in say a Smith model 25, (.45 acp), it's not like they're grossly oversized. (Norm for a lead bullet would be .452.

If all else fails just size 'em down to .452.

Oh, just thought of something... I'm assuming they're lead bullets.

Jack

Wash-ar15
11-07-2010, 17:31
They'll probably work pretty well in .45 Colt, especially if it's an older one, they tended to have over sized bores.

May be fine in say a Smith model 25, (.45 acp), it's not like they're grossly oversized. (Norm for a lead bullet would be .452.

If all else fails just size 'em down to .452.

Oh, just thought of something... I'm assuming they're lead bullets.

Jack

Yes Sir,lead 225 TC.

GioaJack
11-07-2010, 17:59
I don't really know anything about those sissy, black plastic guns but I'm a bit surprised they won't feed in a 1911, which as you are undoubtedly aware if the finest firearm ever designed by man or immortal.

Certainly don't want to tell you what to do or suggest anything that you might be uncomfortable with, (also depends on how many bullets you have), but if it were me the first thing I'd do is first try a little tighter crimp to see if they'll feed reliably. (Some people tend to be a bit more cautious with crimping than is really necessary.)

If you're loading light to mid-range pressure shouldn't really even be a concern since you're dealing with a low pressure round anyway.

I'd make up a couple dummy rounds with a tighter crimp and try that first. If you're not satisfied with the results and you own a .45 Colt or .45 acp revolver you can go that route without any problems.

If you feel uncomfortable with any of those options and you don't own sizing equipment simply find someone at your range that casts and pay then a few bucks to size 'em down from .453 to .452. If they don't know how to do that stand way behind them when they're shooting 'cause something interesting is eventually going to happen Good luck... don't do anything you don't feel is safe.

Jack

fredj338
11-07-2010, 18:01
Buy a Lee 0.452" sizer & size em down or trade them off. You could cheat & run them through a LFCD, it will likely get them to go bang, but I won't gaurantee accuracy.

Wash-ar15
11-07-2010, 19:04
they feed but don't always allow the action to lock up. even a good rap with my hand in the back will not do. I mikes them at .473 crimp

dudel
11-08-2010, 03:50
they feed but don't always allow the action to lock up. even a good rap with my hand in the back will not do. I mikes them at .473 crimp

A good rap on the back could be causing setback (and pressure spikes), if the projectile is resting against the lands.:whistling:

Rick from Kali
11-08-2010, 12:20
i have taken 225 grn. round nose lead bullets and run them through my C&H .451 swaging dies and turned them into hollow points i am sure you could the same to a TC. i am also taking .40 s&w fired cases using lead shot for cores and removing the case heads inmaking bullet jackets for the .45acp. they make good shooting inexpensive home defense rounds with good expansion.
Rick
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture198.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o301/rick4570/Picture194.jpg