Mac help loading new WordPerfect [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mac help loading new WordPerfect

uhlawpup
11-07-2010, 18:19
Okay. I've gone over to the dark side and bought a MacBook Air. It is WONDERFUL!

I've loaded the new Parallels on it, and my Windows XP, and all is peachy.'

But....

I really need WordPerfect on here. I bought the newest edition of Office, and it will not load. Setup.exe will not run. I get an error message every time.

Anyone know of a fix for this? I really need WordPerfect on here...

Thanks, you're all much too good to me, etc.

By the way, I've messaged Corel, too.

wrenrj1
11-07-2010, 18:28
You say you loaded Office, do you mean MS Office? but then you refer to WP. Does not compute. Wordperfect is all but gone in this world.

GIockGuy24
11-07-2010, 18:41
I think it's WordPerfect Office of which WordPefect is part of.

uhlawpup
11-07-2010, 20:09
24 is correct. I have MS Office 2011 for Mac installed. I need WordPerfect run. And, in the legal community, it's far from gone... It's part of their WordPerfect Office X5

IndyGunFreak
11-08-2010, 02:16
What's the error? I'm assuming you're trying to install the ".exe" in the Windows OS, right... and not the Mac OS?(hey, it happens)...

Almost sounds like something might be fubar w/ your CD, or do you get an error that leads you to believe this is related to parallels?

IGF

uhlawpup
11-08-2010, 05:08
I thought it might be the CD, so I downloaded the trial version in Windows. It got a little farther, but that's it. Corel was no help, either.

I can use Word. Most of us are switching to it anyway. I guess I'll call Corel and get a Return Materials Authorization for the X5 and send it back.

Thanks for the thought power, folks.

Toyman
11-08-2010, 05:22
It appears as though WordPerfect is windows only. However, if you really want it, you could install a virtual machine host (such as VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org) (free) or Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/)) and simply install Windows and WordPerfect.

IndyGunFreak
11-08-2010, 05:50
It appears as though WordPerfect is windows only. However, if you really want it, you could install a virtual machine host (such as VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org) (free) or Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/)) and simply install Windows and WordPerfect.

His first post suggests he already has Parallels.

IGF

Toyman
11-08-2010, 05:52
His first post suggests he already has Parallels.

IGF

Ooops, I missed that.

GIockGuy24
11-08-2010, 06:03
I don't have a Mac but isn't Parallels a virtual machine and Bootcamp allows native running of Windows? I think one them gives the option of running Windows either way but I don't know which one.

Toyman
11-08-2010, 06:09
I don't have a Mac but isn't Parallels a virtual machine and Bootcamp allows native running of Windows? I think one them gives the option of running Windows either way but I don't know which one.

Yes, you can setup Windows to boot with Bootcamp. You can also setup Parallels to run Windows while OSX is running (in a virtual machine).

The fancy thing about Parallels is that you can setup a bootcamp partition to boot into Windows AND use that same Windows installation as a virtual machine. That way you can either boot into full blown Windows on bootcamp, OR run that same Windows installation as a virtual machine. (I've got that setup on my Mac).

uhlawpup
11-08-2010, 08:17
I haven't joined Bootcamp and Parallels, but I have tried to install it in Windows using Parallels. The setup.exe errors out on me and won't run. As I said earlier, I got a little further using Internet Explorere and downloading a trial, but that didn't work, either.

I have WordPerfect installed on my old machine. I may try to find a way to port it over to see if it will run. (When I installed Windows under Parallels, I used my disc. Maybe if I uninstall it all and do it again porting over from the Windows laptop, all may work. We'll just have to see. Meanwhile, I'm out of time experimenting. I'll just have to do my WordPerfect work at the office and slowly try to get these folks to move to Word. Most are there already, so it is only a matter of time...

IndyGunFreak
11-08-2010, 09:21
I haven't joined Bootcamp and Parallels, but I have tried to install it in Windows using Parallels. The setup.exe errors out on me and won't run. As I said earlier, I got a little further using Internet Explorere and downloading a trial, but that didn't work, either.

I have WordPerfect installed on my old machine. I may try to find a way to port it over to see if it will run. (When I installed Windows under Parallels, I used my disc. Maybe if I uninstall it all and do it again porting over from the Windows laptop, all may work. We'll just have to see. Meanwhile, I'm out of time experimenting. I'll just have to do my WordPerfect work at the office and slowly try to get these folks to move to Word. Most are there already, so it is only a matter of time...

You keep saying it "errors out".. does it give you any info to the error?

uhlawpup
11-08-2010, 12:35
No. No error info. Setup starts, and then immediately I get the dreaded box that says the program had to terminate and do I want to send a report. You know the one. It's not the blue screen of death, but it's just as aggravating.

IndyGunFreak
11-08-2010, 12:48
Hmm, well, you could try Open Office.. but I don't think it saves in wordperfect format. It does save in MS Office format though, and seems to work pretty well..

IGF

uhlawpup
11-08-2010, 14:32
One of our IT guys suggested that maybe I need to let Windows update itself on the virtual machine.

I'm a little nervous about this...

Maybe my attention span is getting shorter as I get older, but it seems to be way more trouble than it's worth. Then, again, I appreciate all the help, and if I do get it solved, I'll post back to this thread and let you all know what happened.

GIockGuy24
11-08-2010, 16:17
Maybe it's the virtual machine environment that's causing the problem. If you install and run Windows natively, it might work like it's suppose to work. Does WordPerfect give any software requirements such as NET Framework?

IndyGunFreak
11-08-2010, 17:59
Maybe it's the virtual machine environment that's causing the problem. If you install and run Windows natively, it might work like it's suppose to work. Does WordPerfect give any software requirements such as NET Framework?

I've never saw a program not work in a Virtual OS, except for games, and thats mostly due to graphics drivers limitations in Vbox. I can't imagine there being a problem w/ an Office Suite running in a Virtual OS...

IGF

Linux3
11-08-2010, 19:47
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

They have a community page and my be of more assistance.

uhlawpup
11-08-2010, 20:14
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

TuxthePenguin
11-09-2010, 08:25
Running a virtual machine on a MacBook Air just to use a document writing program? Sounds like massive overkill, and hog of resources. Might want to look at something Apple has to offer or use OpenOffice. There are plenty of alternatives out there that will work without using VMs.

GIockGuy24
11-09-2010, 10:03
Running a virtual machine on a MacBook Air just to use a document writing program? Sounds like massive overkill, and hog of resources. Might want to look at something Apple has to offer or use OpenOffice. There are plenty of alternatives out there that will work without using VMs.

WordPerfect is used by law offices. That's the reason it's required in this case.