PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical caliber debate

roknjs
11-07-2010, 19:23
Typical debate goes something like this:

9mm - with modern ammo it will get the job done
.40s&w - capacity like a 9mm hits like a .45
.45 acp - the gold standard. I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46

I got all that. I have .45s, .40s, and 9 mm. The .45 will never go away. I learned on a .45 so I'm keeping it.

So, using arguments other than which caliber is a better defensive round or which round is more of a he man round.... why should i send the 9 mm packing and keep the 40s or why should I keep the 9 and sell the .40?

Main reason I'm asking is I want to simplify a little and focus on two calibers instead of 3.

EL COLONEL
11-07-2010, 19:28
Bigger

Glolt20-91
11-07-2010, 19:51
I'd keep all 3 calibers simply to stay diversified, never can tell what the future will bring. There may be a time when you'll be able to score on 9mm ammo that's better than what's available in the other 2 calibers.

It's always nice to have a BUG on your person, vehicle or home and a third for you significant other.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

Bob :cowboy:

roknjs
11-07-2010, 20:13
I'd keep all 3 calibers simply to stay diversified, never can tell what the future will bring. There may be a time when you'll be able to score on 9mm ammo that's better than what's available in the other 2 calibers.

It's always nice to have a BUG on your person, vehicle or home and a third for you significant other.

Just my $.02, YMMV.

Bob :cowboy:

I've had all 3 for a while now, just not sure I want to keep it that way. I was thinking having 2 calibers in semi auto to go with my .357/.38 and my .44 mag revolvers would be good enough for diversification.

Berto
11-07-2010, 20:19
Keep the one you enjoy shooting the most.

glockfanbob
11-07-2010, 20:27

This, as well as the one you shoot most accurately with.

roknjs
11-07-2010, 20:46
Unfortunately, I enjoy them both and shoot them about the same.

Berto
11-07-2010, 21:00
Flip a coin then. Or choose the one that holds more boolits, since that will make you an operator.

cole
11-07-2010, 21:13
OP: No offense, but your querry is typical caliber debate fodder.

Bigger

IMO the heavier the better.

Good advice.

I dumped .40sw to stay 9mm and .45acp. I do not have need for an intermediate caliber and the .40sw recoil is too snappy with no up-side IMO. I'll take the cheapest, (9mm), highest capacity (9mm), least recoil (9mm), most prevalant (9mm) or heaviest caliber (.45acp), not the one that compromises in all areas (.40).

vafish
11-07-2010, 21:17
I think you should keep all 3,

But if you are going to keep the .45 no matter what, then sell the .40 and keep the 9MM.

The 9MM will be cheaper to shoot. The .40 is halfway between the 9 and .45 so keep the ends and get rid of the middle.

FWIW I sold my .40's and .45's and the only semi auto handguns I own anymore are 9MM's.

roknjs
11-07-2010, 21:20
None taken, but I don't see it that way. Typical caliber debates usually hang on which is a better round. My stance is that they all have their ups and downs and with today's ammo choices, you can't go wrong with any caliber.

I'm talking about things like capacity, cost, and any other reason people chose one over the other. I hear people say all the time that 9mm ammo is cheaper. Not by much around here. Point boing, if the cost is the same, why pick one over the other when they both will take out a perp with plenty of effect.

OP: No offense, but your querry is typical caliber debate fodder.

IMO the heavier the better.

Good advice.

I dumped .40sw to stay 9mm and .45acp. I do not have need for an intermediate caliber and the .40sw recoil is too snappy with no up-side IMO. I'll take the cheapest, (9mm), highest capacity (9mm), least recoil (9mm), most prevalant (9mm) or heaviest caliber (.45acp), not the one that compromises in all areas (.40).

LASTRESORT20
11-07-2010, 21:20
`Keep one that you enjoy shooting the most and keep one that you love and keep one that is your favorite....and keep one.........................................

Daryl in Az
11-08-2010, 06:21
Well, using the typical arguments...

If you're keeping the .45, then you don't need something that hits like a .45, right?

And if you keep the 9mm, then you don't need something with the capacity of the 9mm, right?

9mm is cheaper to shoot than .40 is.

This all said, I carry a .40 S&W, and really enjoy the cartridge. I prefer it to either the .45, or the 9mm. However, if I was going to keep .45 and one other cartridge in semi-auto form, it would likely be a 9mm.

But for me, I'll stick with the .40 since I don't want to carry two handguns to do the same thing as one. :D :D

SDGlock23
11-08-2010, 06:35
Keep .45 because it's a .45.

Keep .40 because it hits like a .45 and gives you 9mm like capacity.

Toss the 9mm, you already have a .40 that has great capacity and hit's like a mack truck.

1SGMP
11-08-2010, 06:39
As said before Keep all three,you never know what the future holds. I would suggest to carry and train with one weapon, Buy 200 to 500 rounds of the calibers you wont shoot. store the guns and ammo away, practice with what you decide for an EDC weapon.

fredj338
11-08-2010, 09:32
You didn't say what platform, that would be my decision, regardless of caliber. You can always reload, all three are pretty popular. I've never really understood the simplify thing, but if you want to get down to just one round to do it all, you have to go bigger IMO. Bigger gives you more options. Bigger works better when you don't have a good JHP.

G26man
11-08-2010, 10:19
If you are keeping the .45 then sell the .40. You want enough difference between them so that each caliber could perform a specific role. 9mm is cheaper than .40 or .45, more practice. 9mm has larger capacity and lower recoil. The main point is why keep two things that are almost the same when you can have two things that are still similar but far enough apart that one could be more useful than another for a specific purpose.

cowboy1964
11-08-2010, 10:50
I'll take the cheapest, (9mm), highest capacity (9mm), least recoil (9mm), most prevalant (9mm) or heaviest caliber (.45acp), not the one that compromises in all areas (.40).

Fallacious logic. You can't say the .40 is compromised "in all areas" by comparing it to both the 9 AND the 45. If bullet weight is a factor then the 40 beats the 9. If capacity is a factor than the 40 beats the 45. Get it?

None of those factors are absolute. Otherwise you'd have to pick only the 9 or only the 45. Each one has it's own compromises.

cowboy1964
11-08-2010, 10:54
Toss the 9mm, you already have a .40 that has great capacity and hit's like a mack truck.

Uh huh.

CanyonMan
11-08-2010, 11:17
I agree with others on the the 'keep all three' and use the one ya want on the day ya feel like using it.

CM

11-08-2010, 13:10

I got all that. I have .45s, .40s, and 9 mm. The .45 will never go away. I learned on a .45 so I'm keeping it.

So, using arguments other than which caliber is a better defensive round or which round is more of a he man round.... why should i send the 9 mm packing and keep the 40s or why should I keep the 9 and sell the .40?

Main reason I'm asking is I want to simplify a little and focus on two calibers instead of 3.

Honestly and with all due respect, while I am not attempting to be harsh, why on Earth would you ask a bunch of absolute strangers who know nothing of your specific situation, needs and preferences what you should do with your guns?

Man up, make a decision and own it.

jlavallee
11-08-2010, 14:06
I consolidated all my semi auto pistols to one brand and one caliber. 9mm was right for me, you may decide otherwise.

I did keep a .22LR auto but that doesn't count since I'd never carry it.

dosei
11-08-2010, 14:23
Keep the one that you can consistantly find abundant supplies of very inexpensive ammo for.

I'm guessing that would be the 9mm. If it were me, I'd keep the 9mm.

Another advantage of the 9mm is that the ammo is very different from 45acp, so the chance of accidentally mixing ammo and loading the wrong caliber round into a mag is slim.

roknjs
11-08-2010, 17:46
Honestly and with all due respect, while I am not attempting to be harsh, why on Earth would you ask a bunch of absolute strangers who know nothing of your specific situation, needs and preferences what you should do with your guns?

Honestly and with all due respect. That is harsh. Why on earth would you tell a complete stranger who you know nothing about to man up?

If asking questions is a bad idea on an Internet forum where, supposedly/possibly there are some people with similar experiences is a bad idea then what is an Internet forum for? If you don't like the question or think it's a bad one, why waste your time posting?

I think I know what I want to do, I just wanted to run it by some like minded people. Sorry if I ruffled feathers. I won't waste your time with another question.

Lockback
11-08-2010, 17:48

Good post.
I have only two handgun calibers now: 9mm and .45ACP.
They're both just fine for the reasons stated above.
I'm confident with either in my G19 or G36. One is easier to shoot but probably (maybe?) a little less perfect as a defense cartridge ... but, then, I have 15 rounds of it.
The other is probably my preferred defense round but only packs 7 rounds and is harder to shoot.
Both are good to go.

roknjs
11-08-2010, 18:05
Good post.
I have only two handgun calibers now: 9mm and .45ACP.
They're both just fine for the reasons stated above.
I'm confident with either in my G19 or G36. One is easier to shoot but probably (maybe?) a little less perfect as a defense cartridge ... but, then, I have 15 rounds of it.
The other is probably my preferred defense round but only packs 7 rounds and is harder to shoot.
Both are good to go.
Thanks. I'm leaning this way. I like but don't love my .40s and I feel the same way about my 9s right now. I've always liked a .45. I'm not convinced the .40 hits like a .45 and I'm not convinced the 9 is all that yet either.

I see a lot of 9 mm is cheaper than .40, but around here it isn't that much cheaper. As for platforms. I currently have these in Glock, S&W M&P, 1911 and have owned a XD. I'm looking at a Sig in .45.

RMTactical
11-08-2010, 18:07
If you're keeping the .45's, I would keep the 9mm.

A quality 9mm round is almost as effective as a .40. 9mm has a slightly lighter recoil, holds more ammo, and is more common worldwide. Ammo is cheaper too.

glockfanbob
11-08-2010, 20:51
I know the OP keeps saying that ammo is around the same price locally between both the 9mm and 40 s&w, however when you buy in bulk it starts to add up fast, especially if going through a few thousand rounds over a year or two.

cole
11-08-2010, 21:57

Fallacious logic. You can't say the .40 is compromised "in all areas" by comparing it to both the 9 AND the 45. If bullet weight is a factor then the 40 beats the 9. If capacity is a factor than the 40 beats the 45. Get it?...

Yes, I get what you are saying, but my reasoning was not one of "logic", but preference. What my reasoning states is that if bullet weight is my concern I will choose the 230gr .45acp over 9mm AND .40sw. Otherwise, 9mm gets the nod over .45acp AND .40sw. So, the .40sw is a "compromise" IMO because it offers nothing (I want) over the 9mm and/or .45acp. Put another way, if I could own:
1 semi-auto caliber = 9mm
2 semi-auto calibers = 9mm and .45acp
I would not own the .40sw because I have no use for it. The slight added projectile mass/weight over 9mm is not offset by it's downsides IMO. That's me.

GunFighter45ACP
11-08-2010, 21:58
I simply prefer military calibers. I'd therefore stick w/9mm & 45acp, given the OP's original choices. 9mm if I could only have one. Why? because not only am I the most accurate w/this caliber*, but it's also the most economical, easiest to find worldwide, has great capacity, plus the feasibility of this caliber in various sized pistol platforms make up its strongpoints.

*It's a toss up between 45acp & 357sig for 2nd best. In .40sw I'm the least accurate, but still good enough that I can trust myself with it.

MISC: I'm more concerned w/2 legged predators, so as good as 10mm can be, it doesn't really fit my needs. Being a Southpaw, revolvers & traditional revolver calibers are a nonfactor for SD for me based on reloading characteristics. I guess this about sums it all up.

Tilley
11-09-2010, 10:53

That comment was harsh. You are a stranger, so why should he listen to you?

Man up and quit being a troll.

GMB
11-09-2010, 11:21
OK, so we have...

1) Vague criteria. (Check)
2) Highly subjective posts based on hypothetical and incomplete info. (Check)
3) Circular logic and rehashed statements from other caliber threads. (Check)
4) Ad hominem attacks against the OP and other posters. (Check)

Remind me again how this is not a "typical" caliber debate? :supergrin:

11-09-2010, 13:20
That comment was harsh. You are a stranger, so why should he listen to you?

Man up and quit being a troll.

No, it was an honest and direct comment. Grow up.

Now that was harsh.

roknjs
11-09-2010, 13:53
OK, so we have...

1) Vague criteria. (Check)
2) Highly subjective posts based on hypothetical and incomplete info. (Check)
3) Circular logic and rehashed statements from other caliber threads. (Check)
4) Ad hominem attacks against the OP and other posters. (Check)

Remind me again how this is not a "typical" caliber debate? :supergrin:

OK as the OP, I can definitly say....

You are correct, Sir! Was hoping it wouldn't be, but I guess it is or at least it has become that. I appreciate all the input anyway.

I have a .40 EMP and a 9mm EMP. I also have 1 or 2 other .40's and 1 or 2 9mm's. I don't like any more than the others, just wanted to avoid the usual debates. I didn't want to post too much about what I have because I didn't want to taint the discussion with a platform some loved or hated. I guess you can't get away from the traditonal debate.

mesteve2
11-09-2010, 14:20
Most Snappy recoil.

I like 9mm's for training others to shoot.

.357 sig for those who can not handle the .45 caliber guns.

For me I like the .45's Glock 37, 38. FNH in .45.

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

G31
11-09-2010, 19:12
One reason: ammo cost. 9mm is much cheaper.

Aceman
11-10-2010, 18:40
Here is my thought (and by the way - I have 9 & 45)

Keep a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel. Run it as a 9mm regulalrly, but there is always the .40 option.

Think Beretta 96, Glock 22/23...something sporty in .40 that is an easy swap to 9mm.

bfg1971
11-15-2010, 15:37
All handguns are a compromise between power and portability. Determining which caliber you want becomes a matter of what is important enough that you will not compromise on that item.

If shots without a magazine change are important then 9mm is your best bet.

if bullet weight is most important 45 wins.

Since any of the three can easily kill a bad guy the above style questions are the ones you must answer.

For me I like high momentum, thus I want a fast heavy bullet something neither the 9mm or the 45 can deliver. 40 s&w gets close to what I want so its daddy is what I chose to carry.

Ammo availablity and cost are accounted for by reloading.

Determine what your no compromise element is then pick a handgun that provides it, then practise until your are actually as good a shot, as most of posters here think they are. After that don't worry about what you have chosen or what anyone else thinks about it.

glock20c10mm
11-18-2010, 06:50

Keep the 45 because you're going to anyway, and trade in both the 9 & 40 for 357SIG or 10mm.