Youth rifle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Youth rifle?

GlockJD
11-08-2010, 15:10
Anyone have any suggestions for a youth model rifle? I would like it to be 30-06 but I havent seen any in that caliber. My reasoning behind it is I read an article about loading down full power cartridges and I have all the reloading supplies for 30-06. If that is not possible what do you suggest for Coues whitetail and Javelina and maybe some desert mulies in southern AZ?

A friend of mine used a youth model .308 and his son hated it, it actually kicked harder than a fullsize 30-06 since the gun is so short and light. SO what are some good calibers to look for?

SanJuanTrout
11-08-2010, 15:23
My 11 year old son is shooting an AR-15, he loves it, no recoil to speak of and good for anything up to deer. My brother is thinking of getting a 308 in the AR platform. My believe is the recoil system in an AR greatly reduces recoil. Plus ammo is cheap

Jonesee
11-08-2010, 16:35
I have 3 sons. All of them started on a 30-06 when they started deer hunting. The advice you got is correct. Use light loads in a 30-06 and the recoil is very manageable. Think 270 or less for felt recoil. As they get older they have a rifle they can use the rest of their life.

vafish
11-08-2010, 17:34
Remington makes reduced recoil .30-06 ammo. 125 gr bullet at .30-30 speeds. Should be pretty easy to duplicate.

I haven't seen any youth model guns in .30-06, usually they are shorter action .308, .243, or something along those lines.

You may have to make a .30-06 fit the kids by cutting down the stock.

FWIW, I started my 2 boys on a Winchester 94 trapper in .44 mag that I cut a stock down to fit them. My youngest daughter is now 11 and said she wanted to deer hunt with me this year. I've got a 16" ar15 in .25-223 for her to use. 87 gr bullet at 2700 fps, very little recoil.

K.Kiser
11-08-2010, 20:41
This would be a quick choise for Me, it would be a 7mm-08... The round doesn't get anywhere near it's due credit because it's typically loaded into compact rifles and gets associated with Women and children, but it's a full on capable game dropper... It's a dang near perfect deer/hog cartridge and capable of much more in experienced hands... It's only about 100 fps behind a .270 winchester in factory loads and right in there with healthy 7x57 loads, but goes in a short action with a very mild recoil due to the cartridge just being a great design with great efficiency... Just simply nothing wrong with the cartridge... The .260 Remington is also a tailor made deer cartridge, but being relatively new I curious to see how it holds up in the eyes of the hunting public... If You reload, either of these can be made a bit stronger with optimum bullet choices...

Jonesee
11-09-2010, 17:15
This would be a quick choise for Me, it would be a 7mm-08... The round doesn't get anywhere near it's due credit because it's typically loaded into compact rifles and gets associated with Women and children, but it's a full on capable game dropper... It's a dang near perfect deer/hog cartridge and capable of much more in experienced hands... It's only about 100 fps behind a .270 winchester in factory loads and right in there with healthy 7x57 loads, but goes in a short action with a very mild recoil due to the cartridge just being a great design with great efficiency... Just simply nothing wrong with the cartridge... The .260 Remington is also a tailor made deer cartridge, but being relatively new I curious to see how it holds up in the eyes of the hunting public... If You reload, either of these can be made a bit stronger with optimum bullet choices...

It is a great caliber but... It doesn't do anything you can't already do with factory loads in a 30-06. And, the 06 can be loaded up for elk, etc.

Additionally for those that don't reload, they can find a huge variety of loads for the 06 over the counter.

There are endless debates on rifles. But the question was about purchasing a rifle for a youngster. When I had that goal (3 times) I wanted to give them a gun they could use for virtually all large game the rest of their lives.

K.Kiser
11-09-2010, 17:46
There's no "one for all" rifle to suit both child and adult, in my opinion of course... If there's a need for a true youth rifle like a Reminton model 7 with a 20" barrel and light frontal balance then the 7mm-08 will lose less velocity due to barrel length than the 30-06, it will have less recoil, and be shorter and lighter overall due to the short action... The 7mm-08 does still pack enough power to take Elk out to about 300 yards I'm confident with correct bullet selection... I love the 30-06 and have had a few, but I guess it's a question as to whether there is a need for a true youth size rifle or something to grow on... I'll never argue against the 06', it's just too good but I'm making this suggestion with an adolescent hunter in mind to use a full power round...

GlockJD
11-09-2010, 17:56
Anyone have any experience with a Rossi youth model? What caliber would you suggest for a small frame child? I think a fullsize 30-06 is really going to be too much for him but I could be wrong. Hopefully get the chance to let him try out mine off a bench soon, he has shot a mossberg 500 12 guage and got knocked pretty good, main thing was the 28" barrel made it way too front heavy for him to shoot offhand by himself. Hes really good with his 20g single shot youth model with a shorter barrel(imho it seems to kick just as much as my 12g because of the shorter barrel and no recoil pad really).

One thing leading me to go with a full youth model rifle is that I have a younger son that can use it as well and I can move my older son into a fullsize rifle when hes ready.

Ideas/opinions?

GlockJD
11-12-2010, 14:20
So looking around the best deal seems to be the Rem 770 youth in .243. Is the 95-100gr bullets the best bet for deer?

K.Kiser
11-12-2010, 15:25
There is a model 7 Remington also, Rugers, and winchester so it's whatever fits your needs... We always used the heavier bullets in our .243's and 6mm'ers... We used Nosler partitions which can be bought in 95-100 grain, and Barnex bullets which were 85 or 90 grains... The Barnes can be a little lighter to start out with because it looses no weight while passing through an animal, and it's inherently longer due to being solid copper, and some rifle's rifling twist may not stabilize a heavier bullet of this construction... If You don't reload, then I'd look for factory loads that have Nosler partitions as an optimum choice or some other premium bullet construction... Let Me say the regular ammo that you find with Remington, winchester, and etc kill deer all the time and can work great for you but I would just try to avoid a heavy bone shot... And in these factory loads, I'd certainly recommend a 100 grain bullet....

I just looked and You can get 100 grain Nosler Partition in a Federal Premium box, they aren't cheap in comparison to the regular stuff but I promise the bullet will hold up it's end of the deal... Again it's not the only choice but it's what I've seen solid results from (Mom's rifle on deer and hogs) and the one that I would gravitate to if I didn't load my own...

sourdough44
11-13-2010, 05:21
If your a reloader you can pretty much tame any reasonable cartridge. I'd get something in the 20" range for barrel length(Micro-Hunter,Model 7 etc.) in a 243,308,7mm-08 or similar. Even when older there are plenty of uses for a 243.

vafish
11-13-2010, 10:34
Mosberg 100ATR Bantam with spacers to make it into an adult sized rifle. Get the .308 and start the kid off with Remington Managed Recoil ammo if you don't handload.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/products/100ATR/27260.jpg

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=8

.308 will take any game animal in North America short of the really big bears.

K.Kiser
11-13-2010, 10:59
I was ignorant to that rifle, looks interesting and it's foolish to neglect a .308 as a game taker without question...

GlockJD
11-18-2010, 12:32
Thanks for the heads up on the Mossberg, I am definitely interested in that and trying to find one now:) Took my son out shooting this weekend and he shot my Rem700 carmint in .308 with 26" barrel and managed recoil easily off the bench. Now to try a lighter rifle offhand with lighter loads heh.

csa 357
11-25-2010, 20:05
what about a 7-08?

ctaggart
11-26-2010, 20:44
My vote is for the remington model 7. Check and see if you can just switch out to a full size stock when your boy grows out of the youth stock. Also, it doesn't come in a 30-06 but the 308 is very close. You can start with reduced recoil loads and work up to the hotter ones later. I just purchased a box of Hornady 150 gr Superformance. 3000 fps at the muzzle. That's 30-06 performance, is it not?

Please excuse my brevity. Posted from my phone.

bustedknee
11-28-2010, 20:00
Here is something to think about.

I am a big guy and many, many years from being a "youth" but I do most of my deer hunting with a Youth version Remington model 7 in 308 with an 18" barrel.

This little gun handles so well it is truly amazing and has taken a ton of deer.

I was putting a new recoil pad on a 338 mag many years ago when I shouldered the rifle without the pad and discovered it fit much better without the pad.
With the pad in place, the Length of Pull was correct for my arm length, according to the experts. Read on.

So I cut off the thickness of the recoil pad then mounted it. I could really shoot that gun and the recoil affected me much less (becasue the rifle fit better).

Now here is what makes the most sense to me: When we measure for LOP we seldom take into consideration what we will be wearing when we hunt. For me it is usually 2 shirts, a vest, and a coat.

So the Youth stock is perfect for me at 13-13.5 inches.

Try one, you will be amazed. You will keep it, let the kid find his own gun.

GlockJD
11-29-2010, 12:55
I found a Mossberg Bantam 100 youth in .308 and drove up to phx to pick it up. I will have to see how it shoots after Christmas but I really never noticed an issue with a regular rifle, but I also live in AZ and even winter hunts usually only have a thermal, long sleeve and fleece jacket on heh.

Also need to get the components and load up some reduced load .308 for him or a box of factory reduced recoil rounds to try it out.

vafish
11-29-2010, 17:01
I found a Mossberg Bantam 100 youth in .308 and drove up to phx to pick it up. I will have to see how it shoots after Christmas but I really never noticed an issue with a regular rifle, but I also live in AZ and even winter hunts usually only have a thermal, long sleeve and fleece jacket on heh.

Also need to get the components and load up some reduced load .308 for him or a box of factory reduced recoil rounds to try it out.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth%20Loads.pdf

FPS
12-10-2010, 07:54
Rem Model Seven in 243 is what I would get for a youth. When he grows up it will still be a very useful rifle for an adult and would compliment a larger caliber full size rifle well.