Hornady LNL EZ Ject problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hornady LNL EZ Ject problem

dsmw5142
11-08-2010, 19:09
I set up my LNL a few days ago and have loaded a few hundred .40 bullets on it. Every now and then I have the rim of a case hang on the EZ Ject nub machined in to the sub plate. Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking maybe I could polish it up a bit.

I ran a couple past it really slow and it feels like there is a definite snag or burr. The shell plate is screwed all the way down finger tight, so the rim isn't catching under it or anything. If anyone has any ideas I wouldn't mind hearing them. If not, I will give Hornady a call and see what they say.

Aside from that, and the fact that I broke the hub after 4 rounds (my fault and Hornady had me a new one for free in three days) I really like the LNL.

If anyone is wondering, you should make sure your primers are fully decapped before you gorilla arm the shell plate to the next station like a dumb arse :embarassed:.

GioaJack
11-08-2010, 19:14
Your shell plate really needs to be more than finger tight, it will loosen up during your loading session.

Use the large hex wrench that came with the unit and snug it down... NOT super tight.

Use a Scotch Bright pad or very fine sand paper to remove any rough spots off the eject ramp and you should be good to go.

Jack

dsmw5142
11-09-2010, 08:19
Thanks Jack... I'll give that a try.

truckmsl
11-09-2010, 10:37
ds - try smoothing up the EZject bump to remove any roughness. Mine had some roughness that would occasionally combine with a well used case that was also rough from many extractions and hang up like yours. I smoothed it up and all is well. If that doesn't help I would call Hornady tech service and ask them to replace the sub plate, assuming that other calibers and shell plates are also giving you similar problems.

Also, try smoothing up the decapper pin end and it might stop the hang up you're getting from primers not fully decapping. This worked for me - I'm guessing the pin was holding onto the primer and pulling it back up into the pocket a bit. These were the only problems I've experienced with this press and I've loaded many k's of rounds through it with no other problems.

Three-Five-Seven
11-09-2010, 12:07
Whenever my ezJect becomes balky, it is always due to the shell plate loosening up on the drive spindle.

Sometimes they stay tight for a long time, sometimes they loosen quickly. I check mine after every ten rounds or so to make sure it hasn't loosened up.

Colorado4Wheel
11-09-2010, 15:21
Every 10 rds? Thats concerning to me.

GioaJack
11-09-2010, 15:34
Whenever my ezJect becomes balky, it is always due to the shell plate loosening up on the drive spindle.

Sometimes they stay tight for a long time, sometimes they loosen quickly. I check mine after every ten rounds or so to make sure it hasn't loosened up.

3-5-7:

If you're having to do that you definitely have something wrong. Tighten the hex bolt with the wrench, (not your fingers) and you can easily load several hundred rounds without even worrying about checking it. By then it's usually time to blow or wipe off the shell plate anyway so take the two seconds to check it then.

If you don't keep the supplied washer under the bolt it will loosen.

Jack

truckmsl
11-10-2010, 09:41
My LNL shell plates have never become loose on their own, nor should they.

Three-Five-Seven
11-10-2010, 13:16
My LNL shell plates have never become loose , nor should they.

I'll tell my press you said so....

Colorado4Wheel
11-10-2010, 15:30
I'll tell my press you said so....

Not trying to harrass you about this. Just trying to understand. What have you tried to resolve the issue? Have you cleaned to bolt and area under it so it doesn't have any oil on it? That type of thing?

Bob2223
11-10-2010, 18:55
None of my shell plates have ever come loose ?

:dunno:

Bob

GioaJack
11-10-2010, 19:02
None of my shell plates have ever come loose ?

:dunno:

Bob

That's because you never use them. :whistling:

Jack

Bob2223
11-10-2010, 19:20
That's because you never use them. :whistling:

Jack
Well, I did use it a couple times but I don't like to get it dirty cause then I'll have to polish the aluminum and wax it again !
Still ain't had a shell plate come loose and I have nearly 70 rounds loaded on the press since it was new !
After I get 100 rounds racked up on it I'll check it out good, only got about 31 left to go.

ya smart ***** old antique!

Bob :tongueout:

Glock21sf-miami
11-13-2010, 20:02
3-5-7:

If you're having to do that you definitely have something wrong. Tighten the hex bolt with the wrench, (not your fingers) and you can easily load several hundred rounds without even worrying about checking it. By then it's usually time to blow or wipe off the shell plate anyway so take the two seconds to check it then.

If you don't keep the supplied washer under the bolt it will loosen.

Jack

Mine gets loose after loading about a hundred rounds. I just tighten it a bit every hundred rounds.

Colorado4Wheel
11-13-2010, 20:13
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/img/products/big/t_lkr_blue.png

Seriously.

BLUE, It's OK to use this Blue Item on your Red Press. They make a RED as well. DO NOT be tempted to use the Red on your Red press.

Cobra64
11-15-2010, 02:59

It seems to be a chronic issue with the LnL. After the second time the shell plate loosened up, I put a split washer on the bolt.

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/images/prodimages/0426T.jpg

shotgunred
11-15-2010, 05:43
I don't have an lnl in front of me to look at but if that bolt tightens down on the shell plate a split washer will not work.
My memory may be wrong but I believe there is a flat washer that yiu are supposed to put on the bolt.

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2010, 09:19
I don't have an lnl in front of me to look at but if that bolt tightens down on the shell plate a split washer will not work.
My memory may be wrong but I believe there is a flat washer that yiu are supposed to put on the bolt.

I'd imagine he's putting the split washer on top of the flat washer, but that is strictly a guess. I actually like Dillon's idea here of using the set screw in the shaft to keep the bolt from moving.

dsmw5142
11-15-2010, 10:20
Well, I called Hornady today. They were very helpful as usual. The tech had me run a straight edge caliper over the shell plate at which time I discovered it was a tiny bit warped. They are sending me a new .40 cal. shell plate and hopefully it will fix the problem for good.

dsmw5142
11-16-2010, 11:31
I set it up last night to run 9mm while I await my new .40 shell plate.

I went through 100 with zero issues. So there you have it.... warped #10 shell plate.

Hornady said it happens now and again in the cooling process of the metal.

shotgunred
11-16-2010, 15:38
Hit it with a sanding block to true it up. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2010, 20:30
Nice to hear that everything is getting taken care of so easily.