Any ideas on how to shorten my stock on my shotgun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on how to shorten my stock on my shotgun

dc2integra
11-08-2010, 18:35
Well I have a mossberg 500 and I want it to be my primary HD gun but its too long so i was thinking of shortening the original stock any ideas?

JimBianchi
11-08-2010, 21:09
http://www.gunaccessories.com/ShotgunStocks/index.asp

M4 stock will fit.

dc2integra
11-08-2010, 21:37
I had an m4 style stock but i got rid of it i want the simple look with the traditional stock

Timjo1955
11-09-2010, 02:10
You might consider a Hogue OverMolded stock with 12" LOP. It replaced the cheap factory 14-14.25" LOP stock on my Remington 870. One caveat- I found the Hogue impossible to install myself. I could not find the screw heads so I had it installed by a gunsmith. I like the shorter stock and the butt pad absorbs recoil much better. There are also many adjustable stock options. :wavey:

CTfam
11-09-2010, 16:04
You might consider a Hogue OverMolded stock with 12" LOP.

^ That is a great stock. It was too short for me so I got rid of it.

I cut the factory stock down to a 13" LOP, cut the extra rubber off the pad and wrapped it in black tape so it is slick. It's not cute but it was free.

keninnavarre
11-09-2010, 16:08
Check this out. The old way to custom fit a stock, if you have a wood stock that is.http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/products/firearms/recoil_pads/grind/index.php

There is a video at bottom of the page, its pretty informative.

doktor doom
11-09-2010, 17:25
I had the same problem with my Mossy Persuader. I bought a wooden stock from Halvin Sales, and now it's like Goldilocks: just right. I also like the more traditional, less tacticool look of the wood.

MJB
11-09-2010, 17:30
Just take it to a smith. This is a simple job for them and add a recoil pad if you want.

Toledo
11-10-2010, 04:05
I had the same problem with my Moss 500. All I did was buy a youth-sized stock (I think from Natchez) and it works perfectly.

WiskyT
11-10-2010, 19:28
I had the same problem with my Moss 500. All I did was buy a youth-sized stock (I think from Natchez) and it works perfectly.

Great minds think alike. I got the Bantam stock from Halvin, came with the factory recoil pad, which is good enough for me. If I was shooting 3.5" goose loads maybe I'd need a better pad, but for regualr buck and slugs, the factory one works fine.

The Bantam has a smaller pistol grip which is better for me too. The regualr Mossberg stock has a Herman Munster size pistol grip, but the Bantam's is more like the 870, just right. If I cut down the standard stock, I'd still have the giant pistol grip.

dorkweed
11-13-2010, 17:06
I'm just saying here, not arguing...............are you guys that replied here "midgets"????? Mossturds have a short length of pull IMHO as is, I cannot imagine shortening further unless it was for a small chick or a child.

WiskyT
11-14-2010, 07:26
I'm just saying here, not arguing...............are you guys that replied here "midgets"????? Mossturds have a short length of pull IMHO as is, I cannot imagine shortening further unless it was for a small chick or a child.

Keepin' it real!...Real dumb:rofl:

Those who hammer their guns into plows...(Quotation)
Quotation: "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

Variations: 1. "Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

Sources consulted: Searching on the phrase "hammer their guns"

Monticello website
Ford's Works of Thomas Jefferson
UVA EText Jefferson Digital Archive: Jeffersonian Cyclopedia, Thomas Jefferson on Politics and Government, Texts by or to Thomas Jefferson from the Modern English Collection
Thomas Jefferson Retirement Papers
Quotable Jefferson, ed. Kaminski (searching under "guns")
Earliest known appearance in print: No appearances in print found. [1]

Earliest known appearance in print, attributed to Thomas Jefferson: See above.

Other attributions: None known.

Status: We have not found any evidence that Thomas Jefferson said or wrote, "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

Footnotes
↑ To establish the earliest appearance of this phrase in print, the following sources were searched for the phrase, "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.": Google Books, Google Scholar, Amazon.com, Internet Archive, JSTOR.

See Also
Firearms
An article courtesy of the Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia. Click for more.
Filed in:
Spurious Quotations
Search all TJE articles:

http://www.monticello.org/site/jefferson/those-who-hammer-their-guns-plowsquotation

WiskyT
11-14-2010, 18:15
I got a real funny PM from dork. It's so funny that the TOS wouldn't allow me post it here. I can't imagine why:rofl:

Deaf Smith
11-14-2010, 20:12
Well I have a mossberg 500 and I want it to be my primary HD gun but its too long so i was thinking of shortening the original stock any ideas?

Dc2,

Here is what I did to a Mossie 500 18 inch shotgun.

It had a standard length stock. At a pawnshop I found a second stock, minus the recoil pad, for $15. I bought it as a concept stock.

I also had a Pachmayr 'de-accelerator' recoil pad that had been given to me.

So, using a shop band saw, level, and C clamps I fashioned a way to cut the stock down exactly on level. I used the level as a guide and C clamps to hold it so I could slide the stock down the guide to the band saw blade on the same level as the stock without a recoil pad.

VERY slowly cut the stock down to almost the sling hole in the stock. Used a file to trim all excess plastic. Then screwed in the recoil pad and used a scribe to mark out the outline of the pad to be buffered down.

Then used a sanding belt to take the recoil pad down to the same dimensions as the stock.

And yes itís on my Mossie now. Iíll try to photo it in a day or so.

But the thing is this is my ĎMark Ií test (first time Iíve done it) and I have ANOTHER Mossie 500 I intend on doing the same thing. It makes the 500 just one inch longer than an M1 Carbine (my favorite house gun.)

Deaf