Places to shoot in the West Valley [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Places to shoot in the West Valley

SunDevil78
11-09-2010, 18:01
Howdy folks.

Certainly not a lot of action in this forum?!

My family and I just moved to Surprise, AZ from Texas.

We're originally from AZ but are new to the West valley.

I know the Ben Avery shooting range is somewhat close to us, but I'd like to find a relatively remote (read: in the desert) place to shoot. My main interests are long range shooting (300-800 yards) and hand guns.

I assure you my brood and I are very responsible.

I realize the places I'm asking you to share with me are very closely guarded secrets. If you don't want to share publicly, please PM.

Thank you!

g30sfguy
11-09-2010, 23:37
Howdy folks.

I know the Ben Avery shooting range is somewhat close to us, but I'd like to find a relatively remote (read: in the desert) place to shoot. My main interests are long range shooting (300-800 yards) and hand guns.

I understand you want to shoot long distance out in the desert, but during the summers you may find the desert hotter than you like. When that happens, you wish to consider shooting your hand guns in air-conditioned indoor ranges, such as Shooter's World which is kinda on the west side.

On the other hand, and during the fall, winter, and spring, Ben Avery is an exellent range with some long-range lanes with very good range safety management.

g30sfguy

SunDevil78
11-10-2010, 07:33
Roger that on the hot part. Like I said I am a native, but this weather right now (until February/March) is perfect!

As for safety, I agree, BA is a fine range. I've been there several times, yet the older I get the more I like to be alone (which I realize is hard to do when you live in a bustling city around ~4m people).

John Biltz
11-13-2010, 14:06
I understand you want to shoot long distance out in the desert, but during the summers you may find the desert hotter than you like. When that happens, you wish to consider shooting your hand guns in air-conditioned indoor ranges, such as Shooter's World which is kinda on the west side.

On the other hand, and during the fall, winter, and spring, Ben Avery is an exellent range with some long-range lanes with very good range safety management.

g30sfguy
Shooters World is opening a new facility on Cactus near the 101 in Peoria. I think they are opening the range before the store will be open in the near future. Membership will be honored in both locations.
http://www.azshootersworld.com/go2/grandopening_special.cfm

akapennypincher
11-14-2010, 11:51
Wickenburg Sportsmen Club. Contact Roger at the Gun Shop in Wickenburg for details.

davesretired1
11-20-2010, 21:35
Howdy folks.

Certainly not a lot of action in this forum?!

My family and I just moved to Surprise, AZ from Texas.

We're originally from AZ but are new to the West valley.

I assure you my brood and I are very responsible.

I realize the places I'm asking you to share with me are very closely guarded secrets. If you don't want to share publicly, please PM.

Thank you!

Send me your e-mail address, and I'll get back to you with the info.
davesretired@yahoo.com

SunDevil78
11-23-2010, 22:11
Thank you for actually reading the question before you answered it, Dave.

I hope to see you out there, sir.

Have a great holiday!

bdguntoter
12-04-2010, 18:57
Take 10 west to 359th ave (mm 103) go north about 3 miles to Indian School (road T's) go left 2 miles Turn right (Vulture Mine RD) go north about 3 miles there is a curve, in the middle of the curve look left there is a big brown mountain. That mountain works great for stopping bullets. Sheriff officers are cool with it as long as you are picking up targets and trash. There isnt a house for 5 miles around so nobody will complain.

From Surprise you could take Bell west to Sun Valley PKWY turn right on Indian School.

snevel
12-04-2010, 20:21
Howdy folks.

Thank you!

I would be careful about long range shooting in the desert. There are LOTS of people roaming about on ATVs and it would be very easy for someone to cross that long a line of fire without warning.

For shorter ranges, I like to head north up I-17 and get off on Table Mesa Road.

Head west across the freeway and then north. You can find plenty of places along that road where you can pull over and have a nice hillside for a backstop.

Simeon