Which of these laptops is a better deal? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which of these laptops is a better deal?

FCastle88
11-10-2010, 08:12
I had posted this thread http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1264394 about a month ago looking for an inexpensive laptop for getting on the internet and playing World of Warcraft. Unfortunately the next week Best Buy discontinued the Asus model that I liked, so I'm still looking. At the moment I'm looking at either this Lenovo http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/1403286.p?id=1218255559557&skuId=1403286#tabbed-customerreviews or this Toshiba http://www.staples.com/Toshiba-Satellite-L655-S5101-15.6-Laptop/product_903756?cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG71:DP4118#ReviewHeader. Are either one of these a good deal, or should I just give up on a cheap laptop and pay $750 for a Dell Vostro 3500 with 2 year warranty?

wct097
11-10-2010, 09:39
You need a laptop with a discrete video card. Neither of those will do. Intel HD graphics = built in to the motherboard or processor (Core i series). I'm still playing WoW, albeit not with the highest settings, on my old Vostro 1500 with a 256mb 8600M video card. You're going to need at least, a 256mb dedicated video card to play WoW with any reasonable amount of speed.

edit: From the ones you've posted, the Vostro 3500 with the 310M video card is your best bet. I personally don't spend the money on extended warranties. Just order it on an Amex card or similar CC that offers you an additional 1 year on top of the manufacturers 1 year... at no extra cost to you.

FCastle88
11-11-2010, 08:43
You need a laptop with a discrete video card. Neither of those will do. Intel HD graphics = built in to the motherboard or processor (Core i series). I'm still playing WoW, albeit not with the highest settings, on my old Vostro 1500 with a 256mb 8600M video card. You're going to need at least, a 256mb dedicated video card to play WoW with any reasonable amount of speed.

edit: From the ones you've posted, the Vostro 3500 with the 310M video card is your best bet. I personally don't spend the money on extended warranties. Just order it on an Amex card or similar CC that offers you an additional 1 year on top of the manufacturers 1 year... at no extra cost to you.
I can probably do the $665 for the Vostro with 3GB ram, but it's an extra $110 for 4GB ram and the 64-bit OS, would I see enough of a difference for the extra GB to be worth it?
After looking into the graphics card I'm even more confused, I know people that have played WoW with decent settings on $350 laptops from walmart, some people online say the GMA HD works fine because WoW mostly uses the processor, and others say you need a $1000+ laptop to play above the low setting. I don't want to buy an expensive laptop because I'd be afraid to even take it out of my house, but I don't want to buy a laptop and all the WoW expansions to just barely be able to play them either. Are there any decent laptops with a dedicated graphics card for $500-$600? All I can find in that price range are Intel and ATI integrated cards.

wct097
11-11-2010, 12:17
For WoW, 64 bit probably won't make any difference. The extra gig of ram might. IMO, 4gig should be the standard for new PCs with Windows 7. I've not run 7 with less, so I can't say for sure how it'll perform.

Blizzard specifically states that their minimum requirements include a dedicated graphics card.
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=21054

Furthermore, there are some blue posts responding directly to questions about Intel HD graphics.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=25968568604&sid=1

I've personally installed and run WoW on an older (not Intel HD graphics) Vostro with onboard video. It ran, but wasn't really playable. You certainly couldn't do any raiding with it... not sure you could manage being in a city. I would expect an Intel HD graphics machine to be playable at the minimum settings. I think you'd notice a huge performance hit in some situations, and I don't think you're likely to be able to do any end-game stuff.

Have you looked at Dell's refurb site? That may be a good place to start. I think the safe range would be $650-800. You certainly don't need to spend over $1k, but you may need to spend over $1k if you want to run it in high resolution with effects turned up. You can set search criteria for refurb laptops based off of the video card. I see a number for $500-600 with 512mb video cards.

solomansousana
11-11-2010, 12:56
Check Dell's outlet. I recently picked up for my mother a Dell Studio 1558, Intel i3-370M, 4gb ram, and a 1gb video card for 549.00. You may have to do like I did and check for 2 or 3 weeks until you find what you want, but I eventually did.

FCastle88
11-13-2010, 22:15
Does this Asus http://www.amazon.com/K50AF-X1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Performance-Laptop/dp/B003AM7VQQ look like a good deal? The specs look very good for the price, and one of the reviews says it plays WoW pretty well, but I'm not sure how good the processor is, and the casing looks pretty similar to the rather flimsy Inspiron design.

I've been looking for returns/scratch and dent laptops on Dell's outlet, but all I ever find is refurbs, and I'm not a fan of buying refurbished electronics.

W4CNG
11-13-2010, 22:53
Whatever you want to play with and the OS system you are on, get the most G of Ram you can into your computer. I have 4GB in my Gateway running Vista Premium that came with a 1GB stick. Took it out and installed 2x2GB sticks of RAM. All is well. As soon as this box dies I will go buy the latest Apple I-Something to replace it as I already have an I-Mac and Macbook Pro computer. You gotta love the cheap price for Microsoft Office Programs that load onto the Mac's and let you have 3 copies of each. What is wrong with this picture?? My Mac's came with 2G of Ram that is easily upgraded to 8GB. More later.

STVA
11-15-2010, 18:04
WoW is an old game and will play fine with integrated graphics. That being said, discrete will still be better for newer games.

wct097
11-23-2010, 16:37
WoW is an old game and will play fine with integrated graphics. That being said, discrete will still be better for newer games.

This is completely incorrect and couldn't be further from the truth. I've tried. It's not really playable with integrated graphics. Intel HD, playable, but barely.

Does this Asus http://www.amazon.com/K50AF-X1-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Performance-Laptop/dp/B003AM7VQQ look like a good deal? The specs look very good for the price, and one of the reviews says it plays WoW pretty well, but I'm not sure how good the processor is, and the casing looks pretty similar to the rather flimsy Inspiron design.

I've been looking for returns/scratch and dent laptops on Dell's outlet, but all I ever find is refurbs, and I'm not a fan of buying refurbished electronics.

That would probably work.

Refurbs are scratch & dent returns.

MavsX
11-24-2010, 06:41
I can probably do the $665 for the Vostro with 3GB ram, but it's an extra $110 for 4GB ram and the 64-bit OS, would I see enough of a difference for the extra GB to be worth it?
After looking into the graphics card I'm even more confused, I know people that have played WoW with decent settings on $350 laptops from walmart, some people online say the GMA HD works fine because WoW mostly uses the processor, and others say you need a $1000+ laptop to play above the low setting. I don't want to buy an expensive laptop because I'd be afraid to even take it out of my house, but I don't want to buy a laptop and all the WoW expansions to just barely be able to play them either. Are there any decent laptops with a dedicated graphics card for $500-$600? All I can find in that price range are Intel and ATI integrated cards.

i'd say yes and get the x64 bit os. youre gonna have this thing probably 4 or 5 years right? better to spend the 100 bucks now..and yes to more ram. ****, i was utilizing 11 gigs of ram this past weekend..of course i had 4 virtual machines running..but still...do it