Dillon 550B and Lee 3 die set [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550B and Lee 3 die set

randyc74
11-10-2010, 09:42
I'm setting up my new Dillon 55b reloader after selling my 2
Dillon Square Deal B's.
I'm using Lee carbide dies in (Station 1 Resize/Decap) , (Station 2 Powder drop and belling), (Station 3 Seat Bullet/Crimp) and station 4 is not being used.
I load 9MM for my Gen3 Glock 34, 40.cal. for my Gen 2 Glock 23, 3rd gen Glock 27 and .45acp for my 3rd generation Glock 30sf.

What are the pros and cons of using the standard Lee combo seating die and crimp die for seating and crimping operation?

Using "Glocked" brass, Am, I better off using a dedicated crimp die in Station 4 instead of the combo seat/crimp die, or will the combo die suffice?

Thanks!

XDRoX
11-10-2010, 09:56
The only downside to using a combo seat/crimp die is it is a little more difficult to set. It will certainly more than "suffice" and should work great.

Some may claim that seating and crimping in separate stations will produce more accurate ammo. But I don't know about that.

I prefer to use separate dies since there is a station for it anyways, but if I'm loading on my single stage I always use my 3 die sets as it saves time.

Boxerglocker
11-10-2010, 10:05
I agree with our friend XDRoX, it will work. However, your really giving up and advantage by doing so. Unless you already have the dies, which I assume you do... I would choose a set of dies that utilize that 4th station. Any particular reason why you gave up 2 SDB's for a non auto indexing 550?

albyihat
11-10-2010, 13:05
You should have no problems with seating/crimping in station 3.

PCJim
11-10-2010, 13:06
Randy, you will not have any problems with Lee dies on your 550b, whether the three or four die sets (the four die sets usually include the FCD). That's what I use primarily on my 550b. I do have some older RCBS and Pacific dies, but all my newer dies are Lee. You will find that the lockrings are in very close quarters on the toolhead, but they still fit.

I agree with our friend XDRoX, it will work. However, your really giving up and advantage by doing so. Unless you already have the dies, which I assume you do... I would choose a set of dies that utilize that 4th station.

BG, trying to start yet another thread debate on the LFCD? :cool:

Boxerglocker
11-10-2010, 13:11
BG, trying to start yet another thread debate on the LFCD? :cool:

Not at all... I would actually go with Redding dies myself. Perhaps a LFCD if loading an oddball LRN... actually may have to try it myself with the new 125g Moly BC 9mm bullets I am loading. :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
11-10-2010, 14:36
I'm setting up my new Dillon 55b reloader after selling my 2
Dillon Square Deal B's.
I'm using Lee carbide dies in (Station 1 Resize/Decap) , (Station 2 Powder drop and belling), (Station 3 Seat Bullet/Crimp) and station 4 is not being used.
I load 9MM for my Gen3 Glock 34, 40.cal. for my Gen 2 Glock 23, 3rd gen Glock 27 and .45acp for my 3rd generation Glock 30sf.

What are the pros and cons of using the standard Lee combo seating die and crimp die for seating and crimping operation?

Using "Glocked" brass, Am, I better off using a dedicated crimp die in Station 4 instead of the combo seat/crimp die, or will the combo die suffice?

Thanks!

Some people find it harder to set up the seater and the crimp at the same time. Jack will tell you how to do it.

Glocked Brass has nothing/zero/nada to do with seating and crimping.

Bello
11-10-2010, 14:43
if you get the lee factory crimp die and take it apart you can run glocked brass right up through it and it will size the entire case!

Colorado4Wheel
11-10-2010, 15:22
if you get the lee factory crimp die and take it apart you can run glocked brass right up through it and it will size the entire case!

Not in 9mm.

Yes, in .45 and .40 with the right punch.

The issue of "glocked brass" is WAY overblown. A properly setup lee sizing die will size plenty low enough. Key is to set the sizing die low enough that it is touching the shellplate but not binding. After you do that your done. The vast majority of issues with the supposed "glocked" brass is with people who either don't have a good sizing die or simply don't have it set up properly.

Boxerglocker
11-10-2010, 15:36
Not in 9mm.
The issue of "glocked brass" is WAY overblown. A properly setup lee sizing die will size plenty low enough. Key is to set the sizing die low enough that it is touching the shellplate but not binding. After you do that your done. The vast majority of issues with the supposed "glocked" brass is with people who either don't have a good sizing die or simply don't have it set up properly.

I agree, pretty much all my 9mm (and my .40 prior) brass can from factory ammo shot from Glocks... I haven't had issues even with my LWD barrels in the past and case gauging with my single Dillon and now multiple bore EGW gauges.

XDRoX
11-10-2010, 15:41
The vast majority of issues with the supposed "glocked" brass is with people who either don't have a good sizing die or simply don't have it set up properly.

That and, I think maybe it was a bigger issue with the older glocks with less chamber support. Out of my XD, Sig, and Glock, my XD actually has the least support. I have never had any problems reloading any of it though.

oldsoldier
11-10-2010, 15:46
My personal preference is to use all 4 holes. Some of my tool heads are all Dillon dies and some are a mix of Dillon and Lee or Redding. Since you have Lee dies I would go with the Lee size die, Dillon powder die, Lee seating die, and a Dillon crimp die if loading cast bullets. I do not like the Lee FCD and never use them even when loading jacketed bullets. Many people swear by it so you might want to use one when loading jacketed bullets. Congrats on the new 550B! I have zero problems resizing "Glocked" brass using Dillon or Lee sizing dies.

Hydraulicman
11-10-2010, 15:59
I load 45 using a lee 3 dies set on my dillon 550. works well. I might get a crimp die someday ...

dudel
11-10-2010, 16:10
The only downside to using a combo seat/crimp die is it is a little more difficult to set. It will certainly more than "suffice" and should work great.

Some may claim that seating and crimping in separate stations will produce more accurate ammo. But I don't know about that.

I prefer to use separate dies since there is a station for it anyways, but if I'm loading on my single stage I always use my 3 die sets as it saves time.

Chris is spot on. Having two dies makes the adjustment easier, especially if you load different projectile profiles.

The only thing I'd change with the Lee dies (and I use some on the 550b), is to swap the lock rings for the Dillon rings. Space is tight in the toolhead, and the smaller Dillon lockrings are easier to lock down in the restricted space. They are cheap, and work very well.

dudel
11-10-2010, 16:13

That's golng to look real interesting as the 9mm is a tapered (not straight walled) case. :supergrin:

randyc74
11-10-2010, 16:15
Thanks Guys, Ithink I will stay with a 3 die set up then go with a seperate crimp die if needed.

Boxerglocker,
I sold my Square Deal's because I want to load 5.56 ammo for my recent AR build.