Barrel choices [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Barrel choices

rdc_bones
11-10-2010, 11:22
I am looking to replace my RRA factory barrel with a bull/varmint style barrel in the 18-20" range. I am a varmint shooter so I am looking for better accuracy than the factory barrel, sub 3/4" at the maximum. I shoot 55 gr bullets pretty much exclusively. I have always used 1 in 9 twist rates so that is what I am looking at mostly, but have read 1 in 8 twist will stabilize the lighter bullets. Anyway, I have been looking at the DPMS barrel from Midway, and the RRA varmint barrel. I am looking for information as to the best quality/accuracy I can get from a sub $400, hopefully sub $300 barrel. Any reviews or information would be awesome, I don't want to waste my money with something that I won't be happy with in the accuracy department. Thanks.

Constructor
11-12-2010, 00:37
Any barrel in that range will be a production grade barrel, it might be made from stainless but still production grade. WOA and Compass Lake eng may be able to get you a good barrel for around $280 but a different contour than what they offer will be extra. DPMS are still production barrels and are now made by Montana barrels, RRA were may by Wilson Arms(not Wilson Combat) as of 6 mths ago and are also production grade. If you want accuracy do not have them threaded 1/2-28, it allows the muzzle to swell and accuracy suffers.