Kimber or Dan Wesson [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kimber or Dan Wesson

Lew-G17
11-11-2010, 05:29
I am not trying to start a hate thread about either gun, but I am considering these two brands.

I really want to hear from people that have owned and used both brands of pistol. I currently own Kimber pistols in full size and Pro. I am considering adding a Dan Wesson, possibly replacing one or more of the Kimbers I have now.

I like the looks and feel of a Dan Wesson CBOB or VBOB pistol but have not had an opportunity to shoot one and do not know anyone that owns one.

So my question is what did you find good and bad about each one? If you could only own one, which of these would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Quack
11-11-2010, 05:41
no question...Dan Wesson
No Swartz safety, No MIM, No proprietary sight cut, better fit.

http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1004748393_vcNh2-L-2.jpg

Lew-G17
11-11-2010, 06:17
So Quack, Please tell me more about your Guardian. Is it as great as it looks?

Quack
11-11-2010, 06:21
9mm, alloy frame. the fitting on it would put it on the top tier production gun.

there is a .45 Guardian coming out for 2011.

Quack
11-11-2010, 06:22
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261129

Quack
11-11-2010, 06:27
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15957644&postcount=16

TexasVine
11-11-2010, 06:43
I prefer my Dan Wesson over my Kimber. Although both guns are nice, I think the Wesson is a better built gun.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 06:57
I find fitting to be similar overall, but Dan Wesson certainly uses the better quality parts.

rsxr22
11-11-2010, 07:54
Out of my experience between the 2 companies, fitting hands down would go to DW. Like Bac said, they also use better parts in their guns.

DW without another thought

Cerebrus
11-11-2010, 08:03
Knowing what I know now.. I would have bought a Cbob instead of my Kimber Ultra.. but that was 5 yrs ago when I was still an avid tupperware shooter..:supergrin:

Hokie1911
11-11-2010, 08:10
I like Kimber. Owned a ProCarry2 9mm. Will own a Guardian 9mm at some point. Better parts. Better fit. Better finish. You get what you pay for. DWs are significantly higher in price than Kimber, but are generally considered one of the best production 1911s available. Problem is, with their 2010 price jumps, they are close to semi-custom money.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 08:31
I like Kimber. Owned a ProCarry2 9mm. Will own a Guardian 9mm at some point. Better parts. Better fit. Better finish. You get what you pay for. DWs are significantly higher in price than Kimber, but are generally considered one of the best production 1911s available. Problem is, with their 2010 price jumps, they are close to semi-custom money.

That's a big problem, in fact.

dakrat
11-11-2010, 08:38
no question...Dan Wesson
No Swartz safety, No MIM, No proprietary sight cut, better fit.QUOTE]

what he said.

[QUOTE=hokieshooterG23;16280490]Problem is, with their 2010 price jumps, they are close to semi-custom money.

this and only comes with 5 year warranty is the downfall of DW

cole
11-11-2010, 10:46
no question...Dan Wesson
No Swartz safety, No MIM, No proprietary sight cut, better fit.
Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner IMO. I wanted a DW CCO or bobtail Valor. But, I may have to settle for something I can afford OR (in dreamland) pay a bit more for something even better. :crying:

... Problem is, with their 2010 price jumps, they are close to semi-custom money.

Agreed. This is a problem for me, too. A steal in 2009. As of 2010, they are great guns, now overpriced.

knedrgr
11-11-2010, 10:52
Extremely happy with my DW CCO.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/fourstardrift/Guns%20stuff/DW-CCO_full.jpg

knedrgr
11-11-2010, 10:54
range report on the CCO.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266367

SW342
11-11-2010, 11:17
Lots of folks hate Kimbers, but I really like mine. However it is a pre-series II gun, made in 98. My EDC gun is a Wilson, but I fully trust my one and only Kimber.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/Treedogs/Kimber2.jpg

ambluemax
11-11-2010, 11:40
A good friend has a kimber pro carry II that I've shot quite a bit (for a gun that isn't mine). I can't really say anything specifically bad about them, they just don't give me that warm fuzzy "buy one" feeling. The only kimber I own is a rimfire target- at the time the only stand alone 1911 22lr option on the market.

I OWN and primarily carry a Dan Wesson CBOB. My feelings about it are actually quite mixed because I've had lots of drama with that pistol. *Most of it buyer beware issues*. Long story short I got it second hand off gunbroker.com and found myself with a failed kitchen table gunsmithing job...turned my sweet deal into a not so sweet deal (never buy used guns on the internet!!). They are some of the niced PRODUCTION 1911's you can buy. However mixing production guns and match-grade tight tolerances creates a very fragile equilibrium relationship. Therfore MY CBOB is definatly the most picky gun I own. It only likes certain magazines and certain ammunition. By contrast my springfields will eat anything I throw at them without even a whimper.

You will find, if you search around, that Dan Wesson has almost a cult following. They have become explosively popular over the last 2 years or so. In that time, I think a lot of gun sheep have jumped on the bandwagon and IMO the internet reputation is a little larger than life (much the same is my opinion of glock pistols too). They are good pistols, but they aren't the second coming of Jesus in 1911 form (as some would have you believe). Also now, as has been mentioned, since the price has taken a hike- if I were in the market again I probably wouldn't be interested in DW because they priced the value out of their product. At the current NIB price point, I'm more interested in other offerings from other brands.

38 Super Fan
11-11-2010, 11:51
As others have mentioned DW makes some very good high end production guns, certainly a step up from a Kimber. But for the prices I've seen on DWs lately, I'd consider stepping up to a Baer.

asiparks
11-11-2010, 12:27
http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/DSCN0588/web.jpg?ver=12892864250001

Pretty much falling in line with everyone else, but DW. My CBOB is an older 06 but the quality of parts and fit and finish are well ahead of that on any of my (4) kimbers.

Despite Ambluemax's horrendous experience buying from the interwebs, once you get into VBOB/Valor/Guardian money, it might be worth checking for a gently used Baer or similar. There was one here that sold for $850 a couple of days ago, but I haven't quite come to terms with the fact that it wasn't to me.....:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

bac1023
11-11-2010, 12:30
Lots of folks hate Kimbers, but I really like mine. However it is a pre-series II gun, made in 98. My EDC gun is a Wilson, but I fully trust my one and only Kimber.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d65/Treedogs/Kimber2.jpg

That looks nice.

I'd like to get a series I Kimber of some sort.

Hokie1911
11-11-2010, 12:32
http://gallery.me.com/asiparks/100347/DSCN0588/web.jpg?ver=12892864250001

Pretty much falling in line with everyone else, but DW. My CBOB is an older 06 but the quality of parts and fit and finish are well ahead of that on any of my (4) kimbers.

Did you have Dave Hardhat your BOB or is that some other finish? Love that thing. Sexxxxy.

tx787
11-11-2010, 13:57
I love my Kimber but will buy a DW Valor as soon as I see one at a local shop.

asiparks
11-11-2010, 16:13
Did you have Dave Hardhat your BOB or is that some other finish? Love that thing. Sexxxxy.

It's melonite/isonite.
3 years as EDC, somewhere between 17K and 19K rounds through it, dropped on gravel etc, not a mark on the metal, other than the un-melonited rear and front sights....love this finish !

Dave, wonderful gunsmith that he is, likely lacks the research budget, chemical and testing engineering labs, EPA mandated water and disposal facilities etc needed to develop and apply his own finish, so I would guess that Hard Hat is pretty much melonite/ tennifer/E-treat/Isonite done by one of the big 2 vendors in the US.....

that's just my guess though...

Hokie1911
11-11-2010, 16:15
It's melonite/isonite.
3 years as EDC, somewhere between 17K and 19K rounds through it, dropped on gravel etc, not a mark on the metal, other than the un-melonited rear and front sights....love this finish !

Dave, wonderful gunsmith that he is, likely lacks the research budget, chemical and testing engineering labs, EPA mandated water and disposal facilities etc needed to develop and apply his own finish, so I would guess that Hard Hat is pretty much melonite/ tennifer/E-treat/Isonite done by one of the big 2 vendors in the US.....

Damn that's held up really well. Yeah, I'm sure that's the big reason he's so hush-hush about what HardHat actually is. Who knows. :dunno:

bac1023
11-11-2010, 16:28
It's melonite/isonite.

:wow:

cdunn
11-11-2010, 16:52
I kept waiting for the punch line?Get the DW no contest IMO.

knedrgr
11-11-2010, 21:48
It's melonite/isonite.

Really impressed with the durability of your BOB. :wow: It looks great!

gunsnut
11-11-2010, 21:56
I don't hate my Kimbers. I just like my DWs more. Overall I think DWs are better guns. I had a Kimber Eclipse Pro which is a very nice gun. However, the DWs are better built guns in my opinion.

bluelineman
11-11-2010, 22:44
Another DW CBOB vote.

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7952/p7100013.jpg (http://img842.imageshack.us/i/p7100013.jpg/)

Lew-G17
11-12-2010, 04:45
Thanks to everyone that posted or contacted me about this. It looks like I'll have to try our a DW and see for myself.

PhoneCop
11-12-2010, 11:41
Don't give up on the Kimber just yet. I've owned two Kimbers for years now. One gets shot extensively. It has held up very very well, shot very accurately, remained very very reliable.

This is not a ding on DWs- I've not owned one and have no opinion to give.

I can observe that the arguments against the Kimber are largely theoretical and not proven genuine.

Any part can fail. Any manufacturer can put out a bad gun. My opinon as a Kimber owner is it is plently of quality for the price.

Regardless, enjoy what you get.

And shoot it like you stole it.

.45Super-Man
11-12-2010, 19:39
I only have one DW, an early, blued Pointman major which is a "bullseye" pistol. Just an absolutely well made 1911 from stem to stern. They came standard with CMC internals, Jarvis match barrels and Colt eliason type sights and a perfect 3 lb trigger pull. I've had 2 Kimbers and while both were nice, they werent Dan Wessons. Their present lineup isnt as extensive as it once was and their more recent price increases have eased them a bit out of my range. Still, if you look you can find excellent deals on very lightly used, older DW's.

deadite
11-13-2010, 17:18
I've only had one of each so take this with a grain of salt...I like both, but if forged vs. cast is important to you, take that into consideration.

My Kimber Stainless II was a really nice, accurate 1911 and I probably should have kept it. My new DW PM7 is great in every way. Fit, finish, parts quality, etc. Are much better than the Kimber. It costs more and you get what you pay for.

deadite