I really love Buffalo Bore now... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I really love Buffalo Bore now...

Chonny
11-11-2010, 04:33
Last weekend I was at a friends home who has a nice piece of land in the great Oklahoma wilderness.

I had my recent production S&W 60 2" (2.125") barrel out there and various other firearms. I was mainly interested in how different ammo shot out of the 60.

Starting at about 5:30AM (pitch black) we did a little early morning shooting.

I decided to have some fun and load the 60 right off with Buffalo Bore Heavy .357 125gr JHPs. The recoil was .357 but the flash was not! I was really surprised. I did buy a box of the Low flash lower recoil .357 125gr JHPs. I'll probably shoot that box at the range and never buy any more of it, not that its bad, I'd just rather shoot the .38 +p or the .357.

Based on my eyes, ears, and recoil perception, the Buffalo Bore Heavy .357 was great!

I have done a few different "lights out" .357 tests but never with BB. If I would have shot Remington it would have made my eyes squint for a while (don't try it, I've done it). To be honest me and my friend had on our sunglasses at 5:30 AM which was hilarious in itself. He took his off and was like "Man, that stuff isn't very flashy at all!"

I absolutely recommend nobody go out and shoot .357 ammo out of a short barrel before dawn unless you have access to the proper area of land, safety equipment, health, life insurance, etc... Nuts (idiots) like myself will do things like this for fun, in the name of ballistics (hey that sounds good).

I'm going to stick to this BB Heavy .357 125 gr JHP for my home defense round.

Has anyone ever reverse engineered that cartridge for future reference?:supergrin:

Berto
11-11-2010, 07:39
I've seen a few guys on the S&W forums try to duplicate the BB loads in .38sp, but they don't get the flash suppressant part.:supergrin:

Chonny
11-11-2010, 16:37
My two favorite loads for my 60 is either the BB .38 +p 158 gr LSWCHP or the aforementioned Heavy .357 125 gr JHP. I'll admit I bought the 60 as kind of a toy just to shoot .357 out of a short barrel. but I was amazed at how reasonable the flash was.

Whatever propellant they use is worth it at least for me. The .38 rounds are great too for anyone with a lighter gun. The 60 is old news but whatever.

MinervaDoe
11-12-2010, 20:16
Has anyone ever reverse engineered that cartridge for future reference?:supergrin:
We had a thread where we worked out some pretty good possibilities on this, but since it is over a year old, it appears to be gone now.

This thread may get you part way there.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164017