Netbook with Dialup? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Netbook with Dialup?

Dr. Leaky
11-11-2010, 08:31
My wife hates computers but wants her own access to email/internet. She thinks a netbook would be just what she needs. Problem is that we only have a dialup connection, so questions: A. Is there a modem that can connect to a netbook? B. Could we connect a wireless router to a dialup connection to provide service? Thanks.

IndyGunFreak
11-11-2010, 08:55
My wife hates computers but wants her own access to email/internet. She thinks a netbook would be just what she needs. Problem is that we only have a dialup connection, so questions: A. Is there a modem that can connect to a netbook? B. Could we connect a wireless router to a dialup connection to provide service? Thanks.

Wireless router to Dial up?... I don't think so(or at least there's no way I've heard)...

Most of the netbooks have an internal wireless device and an ethernet port, neither of which will work for dial up. Your best bet in that scenario, would be a USB dial up modem.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=157&name=56K-Modem&

kc8ykd
11-11-2010, 10:23
sure you can do that, but you'll need two separate pieces of equipment.

you'll need a separate access point to provide the wireless connection to your computer(s), but that's as easy as plugging in the cables and configuring the wpa2 settings. (an existing router/ap combo can generally be used as just an ap)

here's some routers you can use:
Netgear RM356
Cisco 1700 w/ wic-1AM
3com 3C886A-US

most of the gear you'll run across will probably be refurbished and thus will be easier on the pocket book.

find a router that fits your budget, add a wireless access point to the network and you're all set.

wct097
11-11-2010, 11:19
Have you considered a Netbook or iPad with a 3g data connection?

prism
11-11-2010, 12:45
Your best bet in that scenario, would be a USB dial up modem.

that's the answer. cheap, portable, and can be used on other PCs.

Green_Manelishi
11-13-2010, 09:32

The definition of netbook has been stretched. Originally it meant small. Whatever your wife buys make certain the screen/keypad will not present a problem for extended use. I have an Acer netbook; it's very handy but the less than 10" display and correspondingly small keyboard become rather tiring after not-too-long.

Why are you still on dial up? Is there nothing else available?