.357 Mag Load / Velocity Reporting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .357 Mag Load / Velocity Reporting

Highspeedlane
11-11-2010, 08:39
Tested a couple of loads through 2 different .357's today -

6" bbl Ruger Security Six

4" bbl S&W 686.

Some results were not expected but goes to show that results are not always predictable. There were absolutely no signs of excess pressure in these particular firearms with these particular component combination's.

Load 1. -
Bullet - Remington 158 gr JHP
Powder - 16.2 gr H110
Case - New R-P
Primer - CCI 550
Heavy roll crimp applied with Lee factory crimp die (1.5 turns past case mouth contact)

Load 2. -
Bullet - Cast RCBS 150 gr GC SWC (weight approximately 145 gr in linotype)
Powder - 16.8 gr WW-296
Case - Once fired R-P
Primer - CCI 550
Heavy roll crimp

Chronograph - Pro Tach @ 10 feet from muzzle. Air temp approximately 40 degrees. 6 shots averaged. Pistols were thoroughly clean to start with a few shots fired to foul the bore before measuring.

Ruger Security Six 6" with load 1 averaged 1360 fps. This load / pistol combo was the most consistent, with all but one shot within less than 10 fps of each other.

Ruger Security Six 6" with load 2 averaged 1455 fps. Not quite as consistent as load 1. but not bad.

S&W 686 4" with load 1 averaged 1225 fps

S&W 686 4" with load 2 averaged 1223 fps. This was the big surprise. Not only was this velocity lower than load 1 for this pistol, but least consistent of all pistol / load combo's. It appears WW-296 likes the additional barrel length to achieve noticeably higher velocity as was the case with this load in the Ruger.

dudel
11-11-2010, 08:56
Couple of questions.

1) have you slugged the barrels. I suspect the Ruger has the tighter bore.

2) what did you size the boolits to?

3) I'm guessing the same die and setup was used to set both crimps?

Not sure I agree with your conclusion until you know the bore size. Velocity could be lower due to a larger bore. (or what the boolits were sized to relative to the bore).

Highspeedlane
11-11-2010, 12:12
Couple of questions.

1) have you slugged the barrels. I suspect the Ruger has the tighter bore.

2) what did you size the boolits to?

3) I'm guessing the same die and setup was used to set both crimps?

Not sure I agree with your conclusion until you know the bore size. Velocity could be lower due to a larger bore. (or what the boolits were sized to relative to the bore).

Thanks for the additional thoughts on this. In reply to these -

1) No, I have not slugged or measured their barrels

2) Remington JHP's are .357" and I size all cast bullets in an RCBS sizer using a .358" die

3) Yes, all components the same.

Agreed there are many variables beyond what we normally consider. Thanks for your reply.

dudel
11-11-2010, 14:39
Thanks for the additional thoughts on this. In reply to these -

1) No, I have not slugged or measured their barrels
Might be worth doing. You'd then know what size projectiles they would favor.

2) Remington JHP's are .357" and I size all cast bullets in an RCBS sizer using a .358" die
Sounds good.

3) Yes, all components the same.
That helps minimize variable to facilite reasonable comparisons.

Agreed there are many variables beyond what we normally consider. Thanks for your reply.

Strong work. I like untangling the mysteries of reloading. :supergrin: