Uuuugh....HAAAALP!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Uuuugh....HAAAALP!!!

Lone Wolf8634
11-11-2010, 09:24
So I turn on my HP desktop this morning. And I get a screen that says that it cant boot up. After a bit of playing around with it I get it to the PC Dr. diagnostics.

The CPU passes, the memory passes and the dvd drive passes.

The last one (I assume is the hard drive) Does not.
I get an error code: BIOHD-2
And a warning that no drives are detected. It suggests that I make sure the drive cables are securely attached, which I did. No Luck.

Anyone wanna tell me how screwed I am?

IndyGunFreak
11-11-2010, 10:13
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and say pretty.. is there 2 hard drives in that machine?.. do you know what the -2? means.

Lone Wolf8634
11-11-2010, 11:16
Have no idea what the -2 means. Burt from what I'm reading on the internet... seems like the HD is toast.

How hard is it to install a new operating system on a new HD? Luckily I have a external Back-up HD so I didnt really lose anything.

solomansousana
11-11-2010, 11:59
Without knowing the exact model number of the computer i can't direct you to the exact page on HP's web site as each of their support pages is based on the specific product. But the error you are getting indicates the hard drive is failing or has failed and you need to contact HP for repair. There was a known issue with some bad hard drives that were manufactured by Seagate and they are being replaced for free. I have no way of knowing if your drive is one of those, that is why you need to contact HP. If you go to this page:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html#Support (http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html#Support)
and put in the model number it will take you to a support page for your product.

I had this issue with my older HP7955 and it took HP sending me 4 different hard drives and 5 sets of restore cd's until they got it right and the technician got everything running again.

IndyGunFreak
11-11-2010, 15:32
Have no idea what the -2 means. Burt from what I'm reading on the internet... seems like the HD is toast.

How hard is it to install a new operating system on a new HD? Luckily I have a external Back-up HD so I didnt really lose anything.

Well, it depends, it's usually not hard, do you have a CD for your operating system(like a restore CD) or was there a restore partition on the hard drive?

If you have a restore CD.. simply install new hard drive, boot CD, and follow the prompts to reinstall everything... If everything was on a restore partition(on the now bad drive).. it will require you to order some restore CDs from HP.

IGF