Looking for some advice on powder choice/info [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some advice on powder choice/info

Agent Tikki
11-11-2010, 11:38
I'm looking for a powder that will do double duty for .40 S&W and 10mm plinking loads with 155 gr SWC lead. I'd like something that burns clean, meters well, and is relatively low density. I asked around and found that a single based powder is probably what I'm looking for. Its less dense, and usually requires more mass to do the job. (I'm trying to be wary about double charges). Anyone have any recommendations as to what powder to use?

How about a "central" source for powder characteristics? (is single/double base, load density, muzzle flash, burn rates, how clean it burns, etc etc)

TACLOAD
11-11-2010, 12:02
I use AA#7. It seems to be an all around good choice for my 40 and 10MM plinking rounds. I save the 800X for the good rounds.

Agent Tikki
11-11-2010, 12:09
I use AA#7. It seems to be an all around good choice for my 40 and 10MM plinking rounds. I save the 800X for the good rounds.

that's what I was planning on doing :supergrin:

What kind of loads are you doing on either? What kind of lead are you using? Does it burn clean? Winter green scent?

TACLOAD
11-11-2010, 20:38
It burns clean. I've only fired 20 rounds. I got the lead in a deal a while ago and never did ask the guy what kind it was. He was getting rid of alot of stuff. I weighed them just to make sure. Right now I'm running AA#7 11.0gr 180gr Berry bullet 1.26 OAL Win Mag Primers for 10MM. 40 S&W will have to weight till I get back next year. I'm trying to get my 10MM fill in before I hit the road. I won't post my 800X data but I "borrowed":supergrin: Kegs Data for his 200gr XTP load. I got it down to something I felt comfortable with. I'll go dig out my log book and get the data on the 155gr. More like evergreen:rofl:

that's what I was planning on doing :supergrin:

What kind of loads are you doing on either? What kind of lead are you using? Does it burn clean? Winter green scent?

MakeMineA10mm
11-12-2010, 15:49
I'm looking for a powder that will do double duty for .40 S&W and 10mm plinking loads with 155 gr SWC lead. I'd like something that burns clean, meters well, and is relatively low density. I asked around and found that a single based powder is probably what I'm looking for. Its less dense, and usually requires more mass to do the job. (I'm trying to be wary about double charges). Anyone have any recommendations as to what powder to use?

How about a "central" source for powder characteristics? (is single/double base, load density, muzzle flash, burn rates, how clean it burns, etc etc)

I started this project once. I wanted a burn rate chart that tracked volumetric-density, shape, single- or double-based, if it had been re-named or was the same powder as another brand, special characteristics (flash-suppressent or extra-big flash, etc.), and I broke the burning-rates down into groups (first, because no burn-rate chart has all the powders, so you can't exactly place them when cross-referrencing, and second, because burn rates actually fluctuate slightly within their groups, depending upon what application they are being used in).

Like I said, I started it, but with all the other things demanding my time, I didn't even get half-way. It's a very good, worthwhile project.

Agent Tikki
11-12-2010, 16:29
I started this project once. I wanted a burn rate chart that tracked volumetric-density, shape, single- or double-based, if it had been re-named or was the same powder as another brand, special characteristics (flash-suppressent or extra-big flash, etc.), and I broke the burning-rates down into groups (first, because no burn-rate chart has all the powders, so you can't exactly place them when cross-referrencing, and second, because burn rates actually fluctuate slightly within their groups, depending upon what application they are being used in).

Like I said, I started it, but with all the other things demanding my time, I didn't even get half-way. It's a very good, worthwhile project.

Yes this would take a lot of time and effort, but imho it'd be really really worthwhile. I think the volumetric density tracking would be very easy to do, especially when cross-referenced with volumetric capacity of various brass. The special characteristics are a real nice bonus! You can get a clear picture as to how much a round could actually hold with any listed powder. It'd be a really useful! It'd take some effort but shouldn't be all that difficult! I'd love to help out in way I could! I guess the real problem would be accumulating all the 20 million different types of powder. Thats a hefty investment right there. The rest is just time and effort. I'm curious tho, how do you determine burn-rates?

MakeMineA10mm
11-12-2010, 19:33
Don't have to buy the powders. All the data is available, if you have enough manuals.

Agent Tikki
11-12-2010, 19:46
hrm, special characteristics are listed too.......guess I need to buy more manuals:shocked:

MakeMineA10mm
11-13-2010, 08:13
Well, for that you either need a subscription to Handloader magazine or order the book Propellant Profiles from Wolfe publishing. I've got all the Handloaders on DVD. (Propellant Profiles was a column in the magazine and they compiled them all into the book.) The column gave all kinds of useful information about the powders it profiled.

Another aspect that should be included is "Source" since so many powders are just repackaged ones from another company these days...