something of interest for you hi end purchasers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : something of interest for you hi end purchasers

woodrowNC
11-11-2010, 11:50
i have a fellow machinist who has his ffl. i buy from him occasionally and he gets all kinds of dealer flyers. one is szanders i think. anyway, he had listed 3 1950's era government models. all in cosmoline. 2 lnib and one unfired. original boxes, paperwork and all c series prefixes, which would put them in the 1950's. if i remember correctly, the price was about 7500. i'm not knowledgeable enough to know if the price is fair or not. but wow, wouldn't i like to have a 60 yr old unfired GM. is that a good price? oh i forgot. consecutive serial no's.

nolt
11-11-2010, 13:18
alot of the 'hi end' purchasers around here seem to me to be more shooters than collectors.
not that you cant be both to a certain degree. several people here that collect shooters.

you can collect shooters but you cant shoot collectors.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 14:04
Thanks for the info.

Without pics, its hard to know about the price.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 14:33
They aren't really high end guns, by the way, they're collectables. :cool:

jrs93accord
11-11-2010, 14:56
If $7500 was for all three of them, it could be a reasonable price depending on what everything looked like. If $7500 was for one, that is extremely outrageous.

bac1023
11-11-2010, 14:57
If $7500 was for all three of them, it could be a reasonable price depending on what everything looked like. If $7500 was for one, that is extremely outrageous.

Its definitely for all three James.

That would be outrageous. :shocked:

woodrowNC
11-11-2010, 16:05
They aren't really high end guns, by the way, they're collectables. :cool:

it's for all three. and by high end, i simply meant the price. they're just 2 lnib and 1 nib commercial gm's. i tried to go to his site but you have to have an ffl to register there. the next time gary gets that flyer i'll take a pic and post it. uh, i'll TRY to take a pic and post it.

woodrowNC
11-11-2010, 16:23
it's for all three. and by high end, i simply meant the price. they're just 2 lnib and 1 nib commercial gm's. i tried to go to his site but you have to have an ffl to register there. the next time gary gets that flyer i'll take a pic and post it. uh, i'll TRY to take a pic and post it.

i buy alot of guns from him. you, of course pay shipping and he charges 20 bucks over his price. he buys mostly from jerrys sports center, and keeps his catalogs at work so you can see the prices. 9mm glocks by the way are 440, .45's are 481. it's nice to know what the dealer has in a gun when you go to buy. that new agent i recently bought listed in the high 8's. the best i could find it locally was 1225 out the door. i laughed at the lady. bought it on guns america for 905 out of boise, id. 25 transfer fee at a local ffl for 930 total. first i've ever bought online. good expierence.

GVFlyer
11-11-2010, 20:41
You got lucky with GunsAmerica, not everyone is so fortunate.

glock_19guy1983
11-11-2010, 21:16
sounds pretty high to me. Colt made some great pistols in the 50's Fit and finnish were much better than the colt of today. I had a polished nickle made in 1953. i want to kick myself every day for selling that gem.

paul45
11-12-2010, 06:18
There was a flood of '50s GMs "LNIB" a couple of years ago. They were all in the 1500 dollar range. Too high for me then. Now 2500 apiece? Please, I like Colts, but this is getting foolish.

dnuggett
11-12-2010, 07:27
There was a flood of '50s GMs "LNIB" a couple of years ago. They were all in the 1500 dollar range. Too high for me then. Now 2500 apiece? Please, I like Colts, but this is getting foolish.

$2500 is where he is starting, that's not what he has sold them for. The NIB one though.... that is worth every bit of $2500.

Jim Watson
11-12-2010, 07:48
Sounds like a lot of money to me.
What do you DO with an unfired 50+ year old gun at a premium price?
Shoot it and see hundreds of dollars of resale value go up in smoke?
Squirrel it away in hopes that some sucker will eventually pay you a profit on it?

By the way, "lnib" = USED GUN!

dnuggett
11-12-2010, 09:54
Sounds like a lot of money to me.
What do you DO with an unfired 50+ year old gun at a premium price?
Shoot it and see hundreds of dollars of resale value go up in smoke?
Squirrel it away in hopes that some sucker will eventually pay you a profit on it?

Interesting choice of words in saying "some sucker will eventually pay you a profit on it."

The NIB one should be looked at as investment in the same way that any other investment would be looked at. You buy that gun at what you believe is an undervalued price compared to it's future value. You sell it when that future value has been met and thus realize the profit. Or you determine that you were incorrect or that things have changed and sell it without realizing the expected gain. It's a simple theory really, with some complex decision making points along the way.

And hell no you don't shoot that NIB 50 year old Colt. Unless of course you bought it to shoot and don't care about the investment aspect. Then shoot away, the investors will thank you.

Huevos
11-12-2010, 10:40
bought it on guns america for 905 out of boise, id. 25 transfer fee at a local ffl for 930 total. first i've ever bought online. good expierence.

That was probably Boise Gun Company? Dang, I need to get over there more.

woodrowNC
11-12-2010, 14:18
That was probably Boise Gun Company? Dang, I need to get over there more.

yup. nice folks to deal with. gave me 3 days to inspect the gun, and realizing it was my first purchase over the internet, was very helpful in answering a lot of questions. went a long way in allaying my fears of buying a 900 gun sight unseen. and, they were 75 bucks cheaper than anyone else. they must move a lot of firearms.

as for the 3 50's era gm's, i knew a few people would be interested, but for some reason the only one i could think of was bac. :wavey:

Jim Watson
11-12-2010, 15:09
The NIB one should be looked at as investment in the same way that any other investment would be looked at. You buy that gun at what you believe is an undervalued price compared to it's future value. You sell it when that future value has been met and thus realize the profit. Or you determine that you were incorrect or that things have changed and sell it without realizing the expected gain.

I understand the theory, but $7500 for three mass produced guns, only one of which is even claimed to be unfired, is anything but undervalued by any reasonable expectation. At least at my age. Now if you gypped somebody out of the NIB for $500 (it happens, people even admit it on the Internet), it would be a good speculation; or maybe even if you paid a current fair price of say $1500.