Looking for a new wireless router [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new wireless router

Specks
11-11-2010, 19:54
I'm looking for a new wireless router. I currently have a DLink DL-624 that is starting to give me problems, random resets, finicky with VPN and Xbox Live.

I see this one at BestBuy that has a good rating.

NetGear - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Dual-Band+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Gigabit+Ethernet+Switch/9331403.p?id=1218089527534&skuId=9331403)

It's a little overkill as I don't have any laptops with wireless-N cards and my desktop is 10/100Mbps, not 1Gbps, so I could upgrade my desktop/laptops as necessary. I see it is also supported by dd-wrt which I don't have any experience using but I hear good things about.

What would you recommend? Going with something that has wireless-N and gigabit ethernet or sticking with wireless-G and 10/100 ethernet?

I have one desktop, a printer that is 10/100 ethernet capable, 2 laptops with wireless-G cards, 1 Xbox360 with wireless-G adapter, and 2 android phones that connect to the wireless.

IndyGunFreak
11-11-2010, 20:12
I can't speak to the router you posted, but I've been happy w/ this one...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3905740&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

It regularly has:
My Wired PC
2 Laptops
1 Netbook
2 Zunes
1 Printer..

It has given me no issue at all. I don't live in the Taj Mahal, and the range is fine. The router/Modem is in my attic, I routinely use my netbook in the basement, and our laptops on the main floor, w/o issue.

IGF

wrenrj1
11-11-2010, 20:34
I've got a Linksys router that's about five-years old. I've started to migrate towards Apple, first with the purchase of an IMac, and will probably go with the Apple AirPort router soon. It can be used with a PC as well.

mattyk6
11-11-2010, 20:34
My understanding is that if you do get a N router and a single N wireless card with everything else in G, you will still need run the N router in a mode that allows G devices to connect. When you do that, all devices will connect at G speeds, so you lose the speed advantage on the N device. You may be better off to buy a newer G router.

Either way, your router will be faster than your internet connection. Your only advantage would be on device to device wireless transfers.

W4CNG
11-11-2010, 21:37
Linksys has G routers that are backward compitabile which means you can use them now and later. Good stuff at Best Buy!

Pierre!
11-12-2010, 18:46
I just picked up a D-Link DIR 655 and I am *very* pleased with it so far...

Took a bit to get used to the interface, but it came together quickly and didn't hardly interrupt the network.

It replaced a Netgear WNR2000 that just kept dropping wireless after a year or so.

Came highly rated, Gamers like em, and Gigabit Ports too!

Price wasn't that bad, but it wasn't cheap either!

HTH

sigman69
11-13-2010, 05:40
have a d-link and it is much faster and works than the linksys I had in the past.

handyman
11-13-2010, 08:55
The Dec issue of MAXIMUM PC has the high end router shoot out the Netgear Rangemax V1 scored a 9.

Drjones
11-13-2010, 14:10
I'm looking for a new wireless router. I currently have a DLink DL-624 that is starting to give me problems, random resets, finicky with VPN and Xbox Live.

I see this one at BestBuy that has a good rating.

NetGear - RangeMax Dual-Band Wireless-N Router with 4-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+RangeMax+Dual-Band+Wireless-N+Router+with+4-Port+Gigabit+Ethernet+Switch/9331403.p?id=1218089527534&skuId=9331403)

It's a little overkill as I don't have any laptops with wireless-N cards and my desktop is 10/100Mbps, not 1Gbps, so I could upgrade my desktop/laptops as necessary. I see it is also supported by dd-wrt which I don't have any experience using but I hear good things about.

What would you recommend? Going with something that has wireless-N and gigabit ethernet or sticking with wireless-G and 10/100 ethernet?

I have one desktop, a printer that is 10/100 ethernet capable, 2 laptops with wireless-G cards, 1 Xbox360 with wireless-G adapter, and 2 android phones that connect to the wireless.

Just finished writing an Amazon review for that Netgear unit.

Bottom line: it is a very nice device, but there is a firmware bug that prevents you from using two of them in a base/repeater configuration to extend the range of your wireless network. So unless you need that functionality, get it.

Absolutely get "N" and Gigabit - G and 10/100 is outdated technology and will simply be a bottleneck going forward. No sense in buying old tech...

Drjones
11-13-2010, 14:14
My understanding is that if you do get a N router and a single N wireless card with everything else in G, you will still need run the N router in a mode that allows G devices to connect. When you do that, all devices will connect at G speeds, so you lose the speed advantage on the N device. You may be better off to buy a newer G router.

Either way, your router will be faster than your internet connection. Your only advantage would be on device to device wireless transfers.

N routers are by default backwards compatible with a, b, and g devices.

You *can* set most of them to run only in one mode or another, but I have no clue why you'd want to do that...

Out of the box, you will be fine and all your devices will connect.

I did have an issue with one client who had a weird, generic USB wireless G adapter that kept dropping the connection to their new Cisco N router...bought him a new N cisco/linksys adapter and all is well.

alba666
11-13-2010, 16:40
Just finished writing an Amazon review for that Netgear unit.

Bottom line: it is a very nice device, but there is a firmware bug that prevents you from using two of them in a base/repeater configuration to extend the range of your wireless network. So unless you need that functionality, get it.

Absolutely get "N" and Gigabit - G and 10/100 is outdated technology and will simply be a bottleneck going forward. No sense in buying old tech...

Will it do WDS as a base with some other device as a repeater (like with an Apple Airport Express)? My 1/2TB Apple Time Capsule died and I looking for a replacement.

Drjones
11-13-2010, 16:42
Will it do WDS as a base with some other device as a repeater (like with an Apple Airport Express)? My 1/2TB Apple Time Capsule died and I looking for a replacement.

No clue but I wouldn't bet on it because of that firmware bug.

If you've already got other Apple networking gear, I'd keep it all the same - Apple stuff plays pretty nicely together.

alba666
11-13-2010, 16:55
No clue but I wouldn't bet on it because of that firmware bug.

If you've already got other Apple networking gear, I'd keep it all the same - Apple stuff plays pretty nicely together.

Yeah, its pretty idiot-proof. I got the old WRT54G with DD-WRT handling the WDS link, but I need to move it back to the entertainment center at some point.

Specks
11-13-2010, 19:00
Thanks for your comments Drjones. I don't need a base/repeater setup so that won't be an issue. I agree that getting gigabit and N is the way to go, it's the timing of spending more right now with x-mas right around the corner. I'll probably deal with the issues with my current router until after the holidays.