In the labortory.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : In the labortory..

EL_NinO619
11-12-2010, 14:53
Laboratory, sorry it won't let me edit title..

I am doing a little project right now for this weekend. I am making home made Ballistics gel. Making it with Knox gelatin. I will be testing the expansion and penetration of .22lr, 9mm, .223, .308 and 12g slug or 00 buck. Hopefully it will work and i will post the results or video this weekend. Firearms are so much fun..:tongueout::rofl:

PCJim
11-12-2010, 15:13
Darn, I thought you were having a play on words while waiting for another little republican to be born.

Good luck with your project. I've often thought of trying just that, but with all the variables involved eventually shelved the idea. Wet pack phone books was just so much easier.

EL_NinO619
11-12-2010, 15:19
Not yet, i have not been able to acquire a oven to cook up a Republican in yet. I think i will use a wet phone book behind it, because i don't have that big of a BG block. That gelatin was not cheap, $10 a box.

GioaJack
11-12-2010, 15:19
Just become a cop and do your testing on the real thing. No mixing bowls required. :whistling:

Jack

EL_NinO619
11-12-2010, 15:22
Jack, i try not to shot real people (or my neighbor's dogs) unless i have to. Bad for the Karma..Have you ever tried this before. Making BG

OkieGunNut
11-12-2010, 15:22
To get an idea as to how a bullet will perform in relation to another bullet I have used wet fine sand for 30 years. I believe it is called pavers sand. Just put it into a five gallon bucket and wet it down well. For non-magnum rounds 10-12 inches is fine. Pack it down ( I place a thin sheet of plastic over the top fastened by big rubber band to prevent sand loss) and set it on its side and fire into it. Use a long spoon to dig the expanded bullet out. Repack and repeat.

PCJim
11-12-2010, 15:30
Okie's idea is pretty sound. I've some friends who shoot suppressed rounds inside a garage in a most urban setting, using fishing coolers filled with packed wet sand. (They are still trying to find an adequate solution for the front side of the cooler to keep the sand inside from slowly seeping out as their habit destroys the front side, especially when they are using their autos!)

GioaJack
11-12-2010, 15:41
Jack, i try not to shot real people (or my neighbor's dogs) unless i have to. Bad for the Karma..Have you ever tried this before. Making BG

Nope, never tried making any of the stuff. Have done all the rest just like everyone else, shooting into soaked phone books, wood, car doors, cinder blocks, into water, etc., etc., etc.

Never really made any difference to me really. Other than birds I never got into hunting and when I got paid to carry a gun we we're pretty much restricted to issue ammunition except for plain clothes assignments and off duty.

Testing is fun and leads to a lot of discussions with the guys while knocking back a few but after you see enough autopsies you start to realize that there just isn't any rhyme or reason to this stuff. What, according to the books should drop someone like a brick doesn't and what should be nothing more than a bad bee sting is lights out before they hit the floor.

Our medical examiner once told me, 'if you want to be sure of a one shot stop hit him with your marked unit at 60 miles an hour'.

Not really sure if even that works all the time... the human body can be real tough.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
11-12-2010, 15:52
Not yet, i have not been able to acquire a oven to cook up a Republican in yet. I think i will use a wet phone book behind it, because i don't have that big of a BG block. That gelatin was not cheap, $10 a box.

I've had this Idea.. and I'm not sure how well it would work(my feeble mind says probably just as good as ballistic gel).....

Go to Sams/Costco, whatever.. and get some of those big cans of lard. Heat them up enough to turn them to liquid... then pour into your mold.

Put it in your fridge and let it cool, so that it's nice and thick again. What actually made me think of this, was seeing someone on YT shooting bars of soap.

IGF

EL_NinO619
11-12-2010, 15:59
Ya I saw that brazilian guy shooting soap. I'm sure there are easier way, but right now I have nothing but time.

IndyGunFreak
11-12-2010, 16:02
Testing is fun and leads to a lot of discussions with the guys while knocking back a few but after you see enough autopsies you start to realize that there just isn't any rhyme or reason to this stuff. What, according to the books should drop someone like a brick doesn't and what should be nothing more than a bad bee sting is lights out before they hit the floor.

That is so, so, so true... To many people make a huge deal about about caliber.

When I worked for DOC, a guy shot a Morgan County Deputy(he died like a month later). IIRC, the Deputy was hit 3-4x in the chest w/ a .45. The Deputy managed to shoot the suspect several times(at least 5x) w/ his own .45. The suspect was admitted to the hospital and when the judge ordered him held w/o bond, he also ordered him sent to prison (happened a lot with cop killings, so that they can't claim friends of the Officer are beating them, etc.). After he was put under DOC, I had to go to the hospital and sit w/ him several times during his hospital stay. Looking at the guy, for all intents and purposes, he should have died. Unfortunately, only one of the shots would have been considered critical(abdomen)... The others were to his hand, his arm, one was in a leg, etc.

Unfortunately, even w/ perfect placement, etc.. surviving a deadly force encounter, requires an enormous amount of luck. To many people think if they carry this caliber, or this brand of ammo, they stand the best chance for survival.

The above incident, is why I will ALWAYS believe placement trumps any caliber/ammo choice you will ever make.

robin303
11-12-2010, 16:09
A while back on Myth Busters they were using the BG and I looked it up on their website and that stuff was major big $$$$.

steve4102
11-12-2010, 16:28
How about mixing up some plain gelatin and pouring it into milk jugs. Might work better than plain old water and jug.

EL_NinO619
11-13-2010, 18:10
My BG worked so much better than I expected. Some of the results where way unexpected. Will post pics and vid later on. Man XDRoX and me & 7 other people had some good ol shootin fun today. It was a great day in the desert about 70 deg and sunny. Perfect. Shot 700 .223 50 .308 and god knows how many 22lr ,shotgun 9, and almost 2 boxes of clays.