Question for the 1911 fans [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for the 1911 fans

snwbrdr202
11-12-2010, 17:06
Hey fellas, I posted this is the Glock section and I wanted to hear opinions from the 1911 fans. I have 600 bucks that I have saved up for a few months now to buy a new pistol. I am relatively new to the world of hand guns, but I got my first a few months ago; a Glock 19. I love the Glock, and I love 9mm, but I wanted to get something with a little more power. I am not talking stepping up to a Desert Eagle or anything. Ideally I want to get a .40. I have narrowed down my choices to two pistols: a Glock 22 or a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. I know both are reliable and durable firearms, but I am afraid that after becoming familiar with my Glock 19 that cleaning and maintaining a 1911 might be a little too much. Does anyone own a Springfield and Glock? If so, is the Springfield THAT MUCH harder to clean than a Glock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bottom line:

Which gun would you choose, and why?

Thanks in advance for any help gents.

BuckyP
11-12-2010, 17:17
I guess it depends what you are looking to do with it. Under your circumstances, I'd suggest the 1911. I believe variety is the spice of life, so since you already have one GLOCK get something different. Cleaning and maintenance isn't that much harder. Just have to be careful inserting the slide stop. :wow:

Indymann99
11-12-2010, 18:22
+1 on the 1911, everybody should own a part of HISTORY.

I have a G26 and it is a fantastic tool... laser guide rod, night sights, G19 mags for capacity, I dont think it NEEDs to ever be cleaned and NO sharp edges! perfect CCW tool I could not ask for more.

BUT I have much more FUN shooting my 1911 (SA Loaded) with the crisp trigger and better pointing. JMB a job well done.
And if you like to tinker there are prob one thousand, nine hundred, and eleven aftermarket parts to play with.
:wavey:

bikerpipes
11-12-2010, 19:10
I love my glock 40 cal for ease of cleaning and it is my Carry weapon but I have A Springfield 1911 A1 Stainless loaded and it is a joy to shoot a little harder to clean but with time it will get easier.Either one would be a good choice.

.45Super-Man
11-12-2010, 19:26
I may get some flack about this, but for the money I REALLY like the Phillipino made "American classic 2"! You can turn the volume down, as this guy is no "wealth of information".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COr4qnUSy1g

brisk21
11-12-2010, 19:28
I have sevral Glocks and several Springfield 1911s. I like them both very much, just differently. If all I had was a Glock 19 and $600, Id get a Springfield Mil-spec for sure. Make sure its a Mil-spec, and not a GI. Alot of places like to call their GI pistols Mil-specs. An easy way is to make sure it has slanted slide serrations NOT straight up and down. If you cant learn how to field strip and clean a 1911, you have no business owning firearms. It is actually really easy once you know what your doing. There are alot of videos on youtube that can assist you with this. You won't regret buying a Springfield 1911.

11-12-2010, 19:33
If you are only doing a Feild Strip cleaning, the Glock is easier. If you are going to take it completely apart for cleaning, I think that they are about the same.

I would keep shooting the G-19, and jump up to a G-35 for the forty cal. They are sweet. I have one with a 9mm conversion barrel, and really enjoy shooting both calibers.

I am of the belief that, if you want a good 1911, you will have to spend at least a $1000 out the door for a new one. I know about all the cheaper ones -- I just don't think much of them. Everyone I know that has one, is always messing with it, experimenting with mags, or certain bullets, or trying to make it into a better gun by buying replacement parts. I own a few 1911's, and I love shooting them. They are all reliable like a Glock but I have over a grand in everyone of them.

Good Luck and be safe.

knedrgr
11-12-2010, 20:34
well, you're in a 1911 sub-forum, so the majority of the posters will steer you to 1911's, since we have a fondness for them.

Here are a few things to consider:
1) Primarily, 1911's will require a little more frequent cleaning, so if you're not into cleaning your guns, then stick with the Glock. That is if you want to carry your 1911. But if it's just going to be a range gun, then it should be fine. I used to carry a G26, but now I carry a 1911.

2) The Mil-Spec will have a similar hump to your Glock, so the grip angle should be similar enough, but if you switch out to the flat main spring housing, then it will be a different grip angle. So it will be a learning curve if you switch between the two pistols. Now I rarely shot my G22, since I can't stand the grip angle.

3) The 1911 is going to have one of the sweetest trigger pull. It just requires some minimal tuning, but it will be light years ahead of a tuned Glock trigger. Frankly, I can't stand my Glock trigger.

4) A full size 1911 45ACP will be pretty tame to shoot, when compare against your G19.

5) And full detail striping a 1911 isn't that hard. Once you learn how to do it, it becomes pretty easy. Just watch out for placing the slide stop back into the frame. That's how the infamous "idiot scratch" happens.

Tucson_1
11-12-2010, 22:37
Here's what I suspect you might experience if you were to select a 1911. You would become a fan of the platform. You would research the pistol and come to appreciate it's beauty as an engineering marvel, the genius of JMB, and the rich history of the pistol as an American legacy.

You would learn to enjoy the process of breaking it down for a good cleaning because it's a beautiful weapon. I don't find it particularly labor intensive to clean a 1911, Glocks are just SUPER EASY to maintain.

woodrowNC
11-12-2010, 23:34
Hey fellas, I posted this is the Glock section and I wanted to hear opinions from the 1911 fans. I have 600 bucks that I have saved up for a few months now to buy a new pistol. I am relatively new to the world of hand guns, but I got my first a few months ago; a Glock 19. I love the Glock, and I love 9mm, but I wanted to get something with a little more power. I am not talking stepping up to a Desert Eagle or anything. Ideally I want to get a .40. I have narrowed down my choices to two pistols: a Glock 22 or a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. I know both are reliable and durable firearms, but I am afraid that after becoming familiar with my Glock 19 that cleaning and maintaining a 1911 might be a little too much. Does anyone own a Springfield and Glock? If so, is the Springfield THAT MUCH harder to clean than a Glock? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bottom line:

Which gun would you choose, and why?

Thanks in advance for any help gents.

and if you get a 1911, you can always have the retarded "1911's are what you show your friends, glocks are what you show your enemies" sig line.

Boxerglocker
11-13-2010, 00:17
OP, No offense but your at a $600 budget saving hard for months and like the poster above said you looking at $1000 by the time you factor in the gun, taxes transfer fees, extra mags, and your first couple hundred rounds of ammo.

You said that your new to handguns and have a G19 great platform to learn and train. Question would you rather collect guns or shoot them? I say take that $600 and invest it into a modest reloading set-up and your first 1000 rounds in ammo components. Then from that point you are shooting and saving, you can easily pay off your reloading gear in a few thousand rounds.

Look at this post http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1277843 and search for others.

With the savings you enough then build a nest egg for your next firearm and know that you'll easily be able to feed it with reasonably priced ammo.

Just my 2 cents.

But to answer you actual question I say at your budget get a G35 good range gun, HD or competition.... the Springfield Mil-Spec 1911 in .40??? Don't think it comes in that caliber.

carloglock19
11-13-2010, 09:15
Well I started out with a 19 then got me a 23 I like the compacts for CCW. I saved for a little bit and finally got me a 1911. I went with the Milspec and have had 0 malfunctions even with some cheap mags I recently bought. I found the 1911 almost as easy to field strip as my Glocks (w/practice) and am proud to say I left no idiot mark. I CC my 23 simply because its a good size for me to conceal, I recently got a leather IWB for my Milspec and have concealed it a few times as well with no problems. If you are dead set in a .40 cal then the 22 is my recommendation. Recently my Milspec has become my favorite to shoot and cant wait to purchase a higher end 1911 in the future. Good luck with your decision!

samuse
11-13-2010, 10:38
Springfield Mil-Spec or G.I. is a good 1911.

40 S&W and 1911s don't mix well at all unless you know how to tune mags and load specifically for the 1911.

45ACP is the easiest to run in a 1911 without rolling your own ammo.

carguy2244
11-13-2010, 19:16
You want more power, get a Glock 20. Same manual of arms, so you'll get better with both your weapons.
The best idea is a Dillon.

wrx04
11-13-2010, 20:20
I just recently purchased my first 1911 after owning a G19 as my first pistol. I thought the glock was great....perfect first gun, and ended up getting a PM9 and S&W 642 after that. After shooting the 1911 (STI Trojan) on a couple trips to the range, it is almost all i shoot anymore. The gun is awesome!

I shot my glock last week for the first time since i got the 1911 (have about 1000 rounds through the STI), and it felt like CRAP compared to the new gun. I THOUGHT the g19 was great (and still like it), but it was all i knew. I learned on the glock, but the 1911 is definitely the gun i prefer.

That being said, i say you buy a reloading setup and shoot the heck out of the g19, or keep saving until you can buy a better 1911. I dont know half of what most guys who post on here do, but i say if you're gonna go 1911, you cant go cheap. Buy a good one right off the bat in .45, but maybe get that reloading setup first.....it gets expensive to shoot if you do it frequently. Good luck.