The Great "I couldn't help but join the LnL bandwagon" thread. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Great "I couldn't help but join the LnL bandwagon" thread.

Colorado4Wheel
11-13-2010, 15:39
We keep polluting other threads with LnL stuff. So lets get it all going in this thread just for kicks. Seems a lot of people recently jumped into the LnL club. Tell us if you did, your really close to doing it or something like that.

My LnL was ordered through Manventure. Supposedly the Casefeeder was in stock but it seems that maybe it wasn't. I really don't know. They will let you order things not in stock if you ask them how through e-mail. Basically, they calculate shipping and then you buy a gift certificate through the online site to pay for the order. Pretty slick really. I will let you know as my stuff comes in.

GioaJack
11-13-2010, 16:11
It must be so sad to go through life as a follower. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-13-2010, 16:41
Yeah, I am a little mad at Hornady for not making the AP EZ-Eject version 2 years earlier. For the longest time they claimed the LnL with the wire eject worked perfectly. They even had a thing on the website about not bending the wire. IF and that is a big IF they had a decent press when I bought my 550 I probably would have had a LnL for 5 years now. But back then the LnL was a PITA with 9mm so I passed on it. I am still a little mad about that one.

n2extrm
11-13-2010, 17:45
SELL OUT!

OK I got it out of the way. Congrats Steve. I was very close to ordering a LNL. I still am toying with replacing the 550 with a LNL and running it next to the 650. Can't wait to see how you like it in a few months. My guess is it will leave you very happy.

Good luck with it!:wavey:

DoctaGlockta
11-13-2010, 18:02
I have had my LNL for about 6 months. Stepped up from a Lee Thigh Master. Good reviews, total and incidental costs, and 1000 free 45acp bullets was the clincher for me. The cost of Blueade was too tough to swallow. Been pretty happy with the purchase. But in all honesty I have nothing else to compare to and have never pulled a blue handle.

MrVvrroomm
11-13-2010, 18:09
I picked up a used LNL AP several months ago from another GT'er. I was led to believe it was latest/greatest. It was not. I have since updated it to the ez-ject system.

It also came with a case feeder. I'd been very happy with it thus far. I have been 100% satisfied with Hornady's customer service so far.

GioaJack
11-13-2010, 18:15
My shootin' buddy Deak came up the hill for a visit today. We ended up in the gunroom messin' with the 1050.

He kept on tellin' me how great it is and how he wishes he had a progressive with a case feeder.

Ended up selling him both my LNL's with the case feeders for $1000 plus three 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights.

I'm gonna buy another 1050.

Jack

IndyGunFreak
11-13-2010, 18:36
My shootin' buddy Deak came up the hill for a visit today. We ended up in the gunroom messin' with the 1050.

He kept on tellin' me how great it is and how he wishes he had a progressive with a case feeder.

Ended up selling him both my LNL's with the case feeders for $1000 plus three 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights.

Jack

Now I know you're lying

Colorado4Wheel
11-13-2010, 18:41

Jack

Jack would never part with 15 gallons of wheel weights unless they are all zinc. NEVER.

GioaJack
11-13-2010, 19:03
Being a former enforcer of the law and a man of impeccable character and integrity I am genetically incapable of lying or communicating a half truth. I am hurt to the quick by your unfounded accusation.

And you Little Stevie, if you carefully read my post you will see that the purchase price of the two (2) LNL'S, with case feeders was one thousand ($1000.00) plus three (3) 5 (five) gallon buckets of wheel weights.

You are correct about one thing though... I'd rather take a kick in the nuts with a frozen boots than give away wheel weights.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-13-2010, 19:08
Being a former enforcer of the law and a man of impeccable character and integrity I am genetically incapable of lying or communicating a half truth. I am hurt to the quick by your unfounded accusation.

And you Little Stevie, if you carefully read my post you will see that the purchase price of the two (2) LNL'S, with case feeders was one thousand ($1000.00) plus three (3) 5 (five) gallon buckets of wheel weights.

You are correct about one thing though... I'd rather take a kick in the nuts with a frozen boots than give away wheel weights.

Jack

Enjoy your new 1050. Red sucks anyway.

shotgunred
11-13-2010, 21:04
Mid south had the lnl in stock but wanted to much for their bullet feeder.
cabelias had a bullet feeder. they sent me a $30.00 off coupon this week and a free shipping one last week.

The difference in caliber conversions sealed the deal for me.

unclebob
11-13-2010, 21:09
I think Steve has gone up the hill too many times too see Jack and has killed to many brain cells from the lack of oxygen. I hope you like the LNL but I have my doubts.

shotgunred
11-13-2010, 21:14
personally I am hanging on to my 550 until I am sure that I made the right decision.

Colorado4Wheel
11-13-2010, 21:26
I think Steve has gone up the hill too many times too see Jack and has killed to many brain cells from the lack of oxygen. I hope you like the LNL but I have my doubts.

We will know in a Month.

Boxerglocker
11-13-2010, 21:32
I just got a email from Manventure.... looks like I'm inline to get an LNL next. Just decided to say no for right now.
Made a trip to Costco today and ended up using the 500 bucks toward a Honeywell 2000 watt inverter portable generator. Winter is looking to be a bit uncertain right now here in the PNW... as much as I'd like yet another new toy, SIGH!.... gotta stay practical.
I'm set anyways for my current reloading needs with the 650 and a SDB. I look forward to hearing how you guys do with the LNL's though, that bullet feeder coming out will definatelt intice me again later down the line.

Colorado4Wheel
11-13-2010, 21:40
SELL OUT!

OK I got it out of the way. Congrats Steve. I was very close to ordering a LNL. I still am toying with replacing the 550 with a LNL and running it next to the 650. Can't wait to see how you like it in a few months. My guess is it will leave you very happy.

Good luck with it!:wavey:

You got the 650 as a single caliber machine (for the most part, I think).

So here is the question.

IF you could only have one machine would you still have made the same choice?

Most people here know I have been going back and forth with wanting a faster press (read casefeeder). I was going to get a 650 or even 1050 as a single caliber machine. But that just seems like overkill/overcost for me. I shoot 9mm nearly exclusively but I still want to be able to load 10mm and 380 and other calibers when I need to. I just couldn't convince myself that doing that with 650 was worth the money. As a single caliber machine the 650 makes a lot of sence. Especially if you own another Dillon. I have a couple local buyers for my 550. I am going to pay about $300 to make the switch. I won't have to build another bench for another press either.

I do feel very weird about it. I am a big Dillon fan. I have been accused over and over about being anti-red. Once the EZ Eject came out the LnL took a huge step up. Honestly, I am pretty nervous about all this. Ussually, when I try to be cheap I get bit in the ass. I don't think the LnL is cheap so I think I will be OK with this one.

Hoser
11-14-2010, 03:57
Yeah, I am a little mad at Hornady for not making the AP EZ-Eject version 2 years earlier.

I am a 1050 queer. I am not mad at Dillon or Hornady. My casefeeders are always in stock.

n2extrm
11-14-2010, 09:02
You got the 650 as a single caliber machine (for the most part, I think).

So here is the question.

IF you could only have one machine would you still have made the same choice?

Most people here know I have been going back and forth with wanting a faster press (read casefeeder). I was going to get a 650 or even 1050 as a single caliber machine. But that just seems like overkill/overcost for me. I shoot 9mm nearly exclusively but I still want to be able to load 10mm and 380 and other calibers when I need to. I just couldn't convince myself that doing that with 650 was worth the money. As a single caliber machine the 650 makes a lot of sence. Especially if you own another Dillon. I have a couple local buyers for my 550. I am going to pay about $300 to make the switch. I won't have to build another bench for another press either.

I do feel very weird about it. I am a big Dillon fan. I have been accused over and over about being anti-red. Once the EZ Eject came out the LnL took a huge step up. Honestly, I am pretty nervous about all this. Ussually, when I try to be cheap I get bit in the ass. I don't think the LnL is cheap so I think I will be OK with this one.

I never put the weight on the caliber conversion cost for a few reasons. I had the 550 and was intending to use it for everything but 45 which the 650 would do. I had every caliber set up on a 550 tool head with a powder measure. I did add up everything I needed to buy a LNL and a 650 to load 45 and compared the cost, as you know it is pretty close. I believe I was $20 or $30 apart? Finally my dumb *** never thought to price the caliber conversions. :rofl:

I also had the ability to see a Dillon in action, I had a 550 and several friend did. Never got to touch the LNL. You did get that option at Jacks. You are pretty analyticall, I am sure you will be happy with the choice you made. I think in the end what you need is a press with a case feeder. Either the 650 or the LNL will fill that place.

My only complaint (if you can call it that) with the 650 is trying to run it next to a 550 was bad idea, for me at least. Once you get into case feeders and auto indexing it is a little harder to do it all manually. It is not that you can't do it, rather it seems slower then you ever thought it was.

Who knows maybe one day I will wake up and find my 550 has grown up to be a 650? :whistling:

ETA: The 1050 is great, but just too much for me.

GioaJack
11-14-2010, 10:01
I am a 1050 queer. I am not mad at Dillon or Hornady. My casefeeders are always in stock.

He's telling the truth. He painted his 1050's pink and does his loading in an immaculately clean room with designer curtains and matching throw pillows.

Although he is an avid shooter Hozer does indeed miss most of the matches... something about having to participate in parades.

Do we have that many holidays? :dunno:

Jack

EL_NinO619
11-14-2010, 10:07
I'm working on joining the LNL club. Hopefully I get this job at solar turbine, and the LNL will be my first buy. I think it would suit me better because I mainly load rifle and I like the idea of 5 stations.

dsmw5142
11-14-2010, 11:57
I like mine so far. When it works right. I get cranking along and one gets hung up on the EZ-ject nub. I tried polishing it a big and it seemed to help some. I also took everyones advice and made sure my shell plate was tightened properly.

The real problem seems to be the case tipping outward and the rear of the rim (closest to the hub) getting caught between the shell plate and the nub.

If the rim of the case rides the spring as it angles down and the case remains straight up and down or tips inward a bit life is good and the cartridge slides on out.

I am going to try and switch out to 9mm and see if it might be the .40 shell plate. Either way, I plan to call Hornady on Monday. I'm sure they will make it right. They've taken good care of me so far.

When I get this issue fixed and get my case feeder, it's miller time :cool:

Much better than 800 handle pulls for 200 rounds on my LCT.

dudel
11-14-2010, 12:24

Jack

Dang! Now Steve's gonna want a 1050 :whistling:

shotgunred
11-14-2010, 13:14
Who doesn't want a 1050?

Most people just can't justify the money difference.

Hoser
11-14-2010, 13:41
Although he is an avid shooter Hozer does indeed miss most of the matches...

I am a slacker. Just checked the calendar. 76 matches so far this year.

I wimped out of todays match as I had a new toy to put through its paces. 5 shots, 425 yards. No wind, I got lucky. I think yesterday was the first time in 10+ years I loaded any 308 ammo. I went to my old Palma standby load. Sierra matchkings, Lapua brass, Federal primers and Varget. No load development. I will take it.
http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/OBR/DSC02514.jpg

But I do like my fruity little curtains and pillows that I put in my reloading room.

GioaJack
11-14-2010, 14:15
Even I have to admit that's fine shooting... but I'm wondering how anyone could miss with that Star Trek gun?

I'd love to shoot it but it'll break my shoulder... it's no fun turning into a wussie.

Is that the range down in the Springs or just up in the hills?

Jack

Hoser
11-14-2010, 14:47
Is that the range down in the Springs or just up in the hills?

Pueblo West. Fair weather me thought it too cold to shoot IPSC all day and then sight in the new toy.

Colorado4Wheel
11-14-2010, 16:38
I never put the weight on the caliber conversion cost for a few reasons. I had the 550 and was intending to use it for everything but 45 which the 650 would do. I had every caliber set up on a 550 tool head with a powder measure. I did add up everything I needed to buy a LNL and a 650 to load 45 and compared the cost, as you know it is pretty close. I believe I was $20 or $30 apart? Finally my dumb *** never thought to price the caliber conversions. :rofl:

I also had the ability to see a Dillon in action, I had a 550 and several friend did. Never got to touch the LNL.

Exactly. If your just buying for one caliber the LnL vs the 650 is not a choice to be made based on cost. Not enough difference to warrant one over the other based on cost alone. After that it gets into the Red vs the Blue thing. Blue has such a loyal and vocal following and long history of not letting people down it's a no brainer to chose Blue. But you have to admit Red has come on pretty strong this last 3 years. Having just bought Red I will admit I am a little nervous. Had I bought blue I wouldn't feel nervous at all. You just hear things about the LnL that you don't hear about the 650. You wonder/assume it's setup issues. But you can never be 100% sure till you get your machine and it's running right.

shotgunred
11-14-2010, 17:08
If I was just going to load one caliber I would have bought the 650 hands down. But just for what I reload for now puts the lnl $300 to the good right now. Several times I have said I am not going to load any other calibers but I was wrong each time.

I hope I made the right decision. I will know in a while.

GioaJack
11-14-2010, 17:38
Guys, guys, guys... theses are loading presses, not dialysis machines, no one is going to live or die over which one you get.

They both do what they're supposed to do, just differently. If you'd never loaded before and started on a Dillon it would take you a while to learn it and get used to it.

The same is going to happen in this case, just a little bit longer because you're both used to the Dillon already. Takes practice to break old habits.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-14-2010, 17:38
My thoughts exactly. AND, if we are both rewarded with reliable machines I actually prefer the LnL in some ways.

Boxerglocker
11-14-2010, 17:58
Exactly. If your just buying for one caliber the LnL vs the 650 is not a choice to be made based on cost. Not enough difference to warrant one over the other based on cost alone. After that it gets into the Red vs the Blue thing. Blue has such a loyal and vocal following and long history of not letting people down it's a no brainer to chose Blue. But you have to admit Red has come on pretty strong this last 3 years. Having just bought Red I will admit I am a little nervous. Had I bought blue I wouldn't feel nervous at all. You just hear things about the LnL that you don't hear about the 650. You wonder/assume it's setup issues. But you can never be 100% sure till you get your machine and it's running right.

If based on strictly cost alone I would have gone with an LNL for my dedicated 9mm casefed press. My number one issue was the mounting and ergonomic options finding myself needing to go with a strongmount and the sheer convenience of buying the roller handle and bullet tray to go with it.
Caliber conversions won't be an issue for me... I'll eventually start loading .223, so buying that conversion and just get the one part I need to use it for .380 Auto too. Basically two for one on the conversions, other than an extra toolhead or maybe two I'm good.
I'd just like to have a dedicated machine for LPP, but then again with the ammo manufacturers going with SPP with .45 it may not be necessary in the near future.
Given my circumstances I’m very happen with my decision to go with the XL650, understandably YMMV… but for my requirements it looks to be the best choice.

Oh well the money is spent now but I did end up with a "red" machine in my stable :whistling:
http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/public/9cYZm75PoQjs0-x52PwMGj-dJMiwfE4nA3u7WvJD10ABSsPXWQoUu9qCexO9_K9U9S9Qxo4fDZN_MgPCHzqAyytg2D5k9SF1a3FLYVkYfn9Onv2yTvKBmWDBy06 3MzUBZEed2DqXpPknVCCqR3UFnr78-x9ndqS_p1_QTs6_AeY-sVFI4Fy6CY4ne8dw0-fL_llNw8qq59A8DeYLZS6-Jaic

Colorado4Wheel
11-14-2010, 19:17
I can't imagine not having a generator. I have my house rigged so that I can run it off my portable generator. We lived for a week on that thing. Now I just plug it in on a outside wall and it runs the fridge, TV and some of the lights. Just some of the important stuff. Before I did that setup I cheated and just switched the Main off and wired the two hots to each side of the panel and then the ground to the ground. It could run whole house but the generator didn't have enough juice to actually do that. Thats agains the law but I was desperate being stuck after a huricane.

Boxerglocker
11-14-2010, 19:30
I can't imagine not having a generator. I have my house rigged so that I can run it off my portable generator. We lived for a week on that thing. Now I just plug it in on a outside wall and it runs the fridge, TV and some of the lights. Just some of the important stuff. Before I did that setup I cheated and just switched the Main off and wired the two hots to each side of the panel and then the ground to the ground. It could run whole house but the generator didn't have enough juice to actually do that. Thats agains the law but I was desperate being stuck after a huricane.

I can't either... When my ex and I split up... I gave up the house for her and my boys who live with her 80 percent of the time. I wired the house for a convenience plug and have a 7000w, electric start model to run the entire home. Now being in a apartment I need something just in case. We have been know to have some horrid snow weather up here... nothing compared to Colorado but it put the brakes on everything. Two years ago my block was cut off the grid for 9 days straight, last year Christmas day lots of snow and we lost power for 10 hours. If anything I can use it for camping, just some extra insurance. :upeyes:

xdmikey
11-14-2010, 20:09
the free bullets were too much to turn down!
i love my lnl but i came from a lee single stage so what do i know.
i'll be ordering the ez-ject upgrade tomorrow. the wire thing worked well w/45; okay w/40 & not so well w/9.
i got using a fcd and that ended the ejector wire function(wire wouldn't fit w/fcd). i got pretty good at grabbing a bullet & a case w/my left and flipping the finished round out w/my right but when one of my girls comes into the garage my rhythm goes to crap and i have to empty two stations!

i've got my grip down/back(if it ever left) but i'm no longer embarrassed to shoot in public so i'm shooting more, therefore, needing to reload more but still make better use of my time and i'm hoping the ez-ject will show me the way!

shotgunred
11-15-2010, 15:24
I can't either... When my ex and I split up... I gave up the house for her and my boys who live with her 80 percent of the time. I wired the house for a convenience plug and have a 7000w, electric start model to run the entire home. Now being in a apartment I need something just in case. We have been know to have some horrid snow weather up here... nothing compared to Colorado but it put the brakes on everything. Two years ago my block was cut off the grid for 9 days straight, last year Christmas day lots of snow and we lost power for 10 hours. If anything I can use it for camping, just some extra insurance. :upeyes:

I am really surprised that you can use one in an apartment. Be safe and don't accidentally electrocute a PSE worker.

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 16:07
I am really surprised that you can use one in an apartment. Be safe and don't accidentally electrocute a PSE worker.

LOl... Oh no Mike, I just run extension cords in an apartment.

GioaJack
11-15-2010, 16:21
Use a wood stove to melt snow for water and to cook. A willing woman to keep you warm at might... well, on second thought she really doesn't have to be all that willing. That's been my experience anyway. :whistling:

Jack

PCJim
11-15-2010, 21:30
Generators? In all seriousness, come on guys, there's no need to go out and buy a generator just so you can continue to run your bullet feeders when the power is out. Get a 550b, manual operation, no electric plugs. We all know those bullet feeders are the sole reason why you bought those gennys. Snow? Ice storms? They were just mental games to convince yourselves so that you wouldn't feel so bad purchasing auxillary equipment to ensure continuous reloading.

What I would like to see now is just how much your reloads now cost you, per round, when you figure out the amortization of that expense, plus the petrol that the genny consumes.... :rofl:

Now, if you lived in the hurricane belt..... :cool:

Colorado4Wheel
11-24-2010, 15:28
Manventure has them back in stock. I hope that means they held the casefeeder like they said they would and will be able to complete my order now. Casefeeder is now out of stock but they should have saved one for me.

Boxerglocker
11-24-2010, 16:02
Generators? In all seriousness, come on guys, there's no need to go out and buy a generator just so you can continue to run your bullet feeders when the power is out. Get a 550b, manual operation, no electric plugs. We all know those bullet feeders are the sole reason why you bought those gennys. Snow? Ice storms? They were just mental games to convince yourselves so that you wouldn't feel so bad purchasing auxillary equipment to ensure continuous reloading.

What I would like to see now is just how much your reloads now cost you, per round, when you figure out the amortization of that expense, plus the petrol that the genny consumes.... :rofl:

Now, if you lived in the hurricane belt..... :cool:

Snow and ice here in the Seattle area for the last three days... 13 degrees this morning with a high of 25 (with windchill say 18). Schools have been out all week. Power was out at my place for 2-4 hours a couple of times.
Glad I got that Honeywell, sooner rather than later.

Colorado4Wheel
11-24-2010, 16:40
LnL
LnL
LnL

Just thought I would try and get it back on track.

32dgrz
11-24-2010, 17:15
http://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/45292/2356887140085790428S500x500Q85.jpg

You made me join the red team.:supergrin:

MrVvrroomm
11-24-2010, 17:17
I just loaded up 500 .40's in about an hour with my LNL AP. This included stuffing primer tubes. It was very uneventful.

GioaJack
11-24-2010, 17:25
I just loaded up 500 .40's in about an hour with my LNL AP. This included stuffing primer tubes. It was very uneventful.

Obviously your statement is either a total fabrication or exaggeration bordering on the totally unbelievable.

Ask any BLUE KOOL-AID drinker, the LNL is not capable of producing 500 trouble free rounds in its entire lifetime much less one hour.

It's not nice to mislead people during the holiday season. Coal in the stocking for you.

Jack

MrVvrroomm
11-24-2010, 17:42
Coal in the stocking for you.I haven't had coal in my stockings since they tore down our old coal-fired plant. Now we're cookin' with (natural) gas.

shotgunred
11-24-2010, 18:13
Well the red case feeder is here. Maybe I can figure out how to mount it to the 550.

Colorado4Wheel
11-24-2010, 18:24
Well, My stuff is going to ship after the Holiday I think. Maybe I will have it for next weekend. Everything is in except the #16 shellplate. They will ship that seperately. I don't need that anyway for a little while.

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2010, 15:58
Sweet, it shipped.

labdwakin
11-26-2010, 18:19
Steve, I thinkk you'll like the LNL... buddy of mine in Jacksonville has one and he likes it just fine. All in all... pretty versatile little machine.

n2extrm
11-26-2010, 18:57
Sweet, it shipped.

:dancingbanana:

only one for shipping, now if you get it working....................

The hard part now is knowing it is on it's way. I can see it now. Checking the tracking number from the crackberry and waiting for it to arrive.

Colorado4Wheel
11-26-2010, 19:17
I will be out of town Monday through Thursday. Hope it's sitting here when I get back.

kcbrown
11-27-2010, 00:53
Guys, guys, guys... theses are loading presses, not dialysis machines, no one is going to live or die over which one you get.

Unless you buy a Lee progressive. Then you will probably die from the inevitable heart attack that arises from all the "tinkering" it requires. :supergrin:

abq87120
11-28-2010, 16:19
NOOB just ordered his.

Dan in ABQ

Call911
11-28-2010, 18:11
Got my new Hornady LnL last week. I have a machinist making a more ergonomic handle and making an adapter for the Dillon Powder Check. The entire bench is being rebuilt to be the best bench in the known universe.

Rio Rancho

Colorado4Wheel
11-28-2010, 18:25
This ought to be good.

Boxerglocker
11-28-2010, 18:34
Got my new Hornady LnL last week. I have a machinist making a more ergonomic handle and making an adapter for the Dillon Powder Check. The entire bench is being rebuilt to be the best bench in the known universe.

Rio Rancho

What's that gonna cost for the handle and why an adapter for the Dillon powder check? I thought the Dillon powder check was just standard die threads?

Colorado4Wheel
11-28-2010, 18:42
What's that gonna cost for the handle and why an adapter for the Dillon powder check? I thought the Dillon powder check was just standard die threads?

It is but you also need a hole going through the toolhead to the shellplate for a rod that is part of the setup.

shotgunred
11-28-2010, 18:46

Rio Rancho

Ok then post some pictures. maybe some of us can find an idea to steal.

Boxerglocker
11-28-2010, 19:22
It is but you also need a hole going through the toolhead to the shellplate for a rod that is part of the setup.

:dunno: got me there Steve... guess I need pictures to totally understand. I thought the sense rod just went through the bottom centerline of the check die body itself?

Nevermind I remember now... had to visulize my toolhead.