Today's Gun Show Observations [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Today's Gun Show Observations

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-13-2010, 17:43
I went to another large gun show this morning - in Houston. The ones there are pretty big, and the prices are pretty good too.

It's nice to be able to get your hands on dozens of guns in 1 place, and you don't have to keep asking someone behind a counter to let ya see this, or that, or the other. You can just grab and pick up anything ya see...

Anyway, I did the math a week or so ago... Since I bought my first gun in 1993, I've owned 45 different handguns over the years. I have a wife who hates guns, and I usually always want "something else," so I generally have to sell something to buy something (not always, but sometimes). And, sometimes I just ended up not liking something after shooting it a few times...

Right now, I have a 12 guns.

Anyway, over the years, I've owned pretty much everything... Sig and CZ are really the only 2 mainstream brands that I haven't owned because they never interested me.

There were a couple of handguns that were on my "to buy list" - and I had planned to contemplate getting them sometime in the next year - but I eliminated them today... One was the Stoeger Cougar in 45... I have rather small hands, and while the 9mm one fits my hands perfectly - the 45 version of the Cougar has a larger grip. I already had that issue when I first had a 9mm HK USPc, and then when I got the USPc in 45, it pushed the edge of what I found comfortable. I don't care to do that again...

Anyway, I also handled dozens of 1911s today...The new Remington 1911 is probably my fav of the lower end mil spec 1911s. But, I find myself missing an extended thumb safety and beavertail grip safety too much to bring myself to buy a GI type 1911.

Funny how I was content to own one in the 1990s - but now that I have a Custom Shop Springfield and an Ed Brown Special Forces, I'm spoiled... I don't want to sound like a gun snob, but after handling many colts, standard model Springfields, a few S&W's 1911s and several Kimbers - I just found something I didn't like about each one of them...

As many here know, I have the Beretta 92 bug - and I now have five 92 variants. I have plans to buy 1 or 2 more soon too... At this point, after going thru so many guns for various reasons, the grip of the 92 with Hogue grip panels is my favorite gun...

And, for 1911s, I think that after previously looking at many Nighthawks, Les Baers, Dan Wessons, Springfields, Kimbers, etc... The only one I really, really like enough to buy in the future is Ed brown...

So, I think I see myself buying a few more Berettas and maybe another Ed Brown down the line...

Then maybe... maybe, I can stop my eternal quest of lusting after the "next gun." I'm getting rather tired of that, but I can't seem to bring myself to stop... I've been content a couple of times, and thought I'd stop... But after a month or so, I inevitably find something else I want... But, those are the only 2 brands/model of guns that interest me now...

samuse
11-13-2010, 18:16
I've seen your 1911s, you have good taste.

But I just don't see how you could like a Beretta 92 with Hogue grips:rofl:

I was thinking about a Beretta M-9 A1 to mount my X-300 on until I held one. Too huge. Huuungh... Guess I'll just have to settle for an MC Operator. Or maybe a Dawson rail on one of my current 1911s.:supergrin:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-13-2010, 18:50
I've seen your 1911s, you have good taste.

But I just don't see how you could like a Beretta 92 with Hogue grips:rofl:

I was thinking about a Beretta M-9 A1 to mount my X-300 on until I held one. Too huge. Huuungh... Guess I'll just have to settle for an MC Operator. Or maybe a Dawson rail on one of my current 1911s.:supergrin:

Haha, well, I like the Hogue panels, not the Hogue wrap arounds...

One of my Berettas is actually my concealed carry gun:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/EDC-2.jpg

As for the MC Operator - I have prev had one. VERY nice 1911. I ended up selling mine to pay for 1/2 of the Ed Brown - but I miss the extra weight of the rail. It cut down a little more on the recoil compared to my Brown.

I want a railed 5" Ed Brown Kobra as my next 1911.

I think the MC Operator is one of Springfield's best standard production 1911s

Road Dog
11-13-2010, 19:59
Hey Shipwreck, who makes that holster?

Thanks

RD

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-13-2010, 20:13
Hey Shipwreck, who makes that holster?

Thanks

RD

Comptac. It's a Pro Undercover holster. They just discontinued it and replaced it with the Infidel model. It's the same holster - only now the belt clip isn't permanently affixed to the holster - now you can remove it with screws. Otherwise, its the same.

I now have the same holster for my M9A1 and a 3rd one for my HK P2000... Although, after I got rust proof NP3 covered grip screws for my 92FS and M9A1, I only carry the Berettas

snaf
11-13-2010, 20:27
how was prices at the show? i'm looking to find a mc operator to replace the lw operator i have due to the steel frame.

rsxr22
11-13-2010, 20:44
I think one of the hardest things is finding the Operator. We just had one go through our shop, it lasted a week, and sold for $820

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-13-2010, 20:53
how was prices at the show? i'm looking to find a mc operator to replace the lw operator i have due to the steel frame.

At the 4 largest gun dealers the prices were not bad.

$499 for a Beretta 92 was pretty good. The 92A1 I paid $630 for a few weeks ago were $569. However, mine was the ONLY Beretta I have ever bouht that has ZERO marks/scratches on it. The two they had were already marked up pretty good (that's my 1 complaint about Beretta - NB 92s are always already scratched up).

The 2 largest Houston gunshows always have good prices - I have seen others in other states complain about prices - but you can save up to $50 on a handgun sometimes.