Springfield TRP Operator .45 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield TRP Operator .45

u4ea
11-14-2010, 17:03
I have been looking for a 1911 for a while now. I have no knowledge of them, and I don't want to buy one and find out I bought the "wrong" one, so I haven't picked one up. I am bored with my Glocks and want something that shoots nice but doesn't look like a cheap toy. Is the TRP Operator a high quality 1911? I was told they go for around $1300 used. Any idea how much they are new, and how hard they are to come by?

I want the gun for my home, and to take to the range on infrequent occasions. I don't shoot in matches or anything competitive at all. I just want a gun that looks nice and I can have for 50 years. I have heard over and over about how much tweaking a 1911 needs out of the box. Is this just Glock people trying to bring the gun down, or do these guns really not come ready to shoot like a Glock does? I've only ever owned Glocks, so I am new to this. I don't wanna spend $1600 and find out I could have had everything I needed for 1/2 the price. I think the TRP Operator may be the gun for me, but I don't know what else is out there. Is the TRP Operator too much gun for someone who will probably only bring it out once a month?

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 17:11
Is the TRP Operator too much gun for someone who will probably only bring it out once a month?

Yes. Save some cash and get a STI Trojan. Great gun. Less money.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 17:13
I was looking at the Range Officer review on here and I like the looks of that gun too. Is that a better purchase for someone like me?

rsxr22
11-14-2010, 17:23
I feel like Hokies suggestion is one of the best. The Range Officer looks very appealing, the deal breaker for me is the lack of front strap checkering. I have one 1911 without it, so i use grip tape, it does the job but just isnt checkering

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 17:23
I was looking at the Range Officer review on here and I like the looks of that gun too. Is that a better purchase for someone like me?

That seems to be a very well put together 1911 for the money. If you don't plan on shooting a lot, carrying, or shooting competetions....you can get a very nice .45 for a lot less than a TRP. Bottom line is, it's your dime, so get what YOU want and what feels good to YOU and meets your needs. There are some really good guns in the $700ish price range that will fit your needs nicely.

Springfield RO
DE 1911G
STI Spartan
Remington R1

For a little more, the STI Trojan may be one of the best values for $1k.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 17:27
How much does a TRP Operator go for brand new on average? I can't find the info easily. If it's around 1600 or so, I may take the plunge. I can't spend close to 2k, though.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-14-2010, 17:34
If you want a railed gun, that's probably THE railed gun to get. Some folks around here do not like railed 1911s. If you really like the look - that's a great gun.

I personally love the full railed Operators - unfortunately, they only make the 3/4 railed TRP Operators now (they make the full railed ones every so often, but my local shop has like 12 on order and the latest batch is way overdue).

I missed buying a TRP Operator (full rail) in 2003 - And in 2008 - I ordered a Custom Shop Full Rail Operator because I like the squared off look of that particular operator...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Operator-red2.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Operator-red1.jpg

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 17:36
How much does a TRP Operator go for brand new on average? I can't find the info easily. If it's around 1600 or so, I may take the plunge. I can't spend close to 2k, though.

Couple on GB now. Range from $1,500-1,800ish.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200926970
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200123313
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200867191

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 17:41
If you want a railed gun, that's probably THE railed gun to get. Some folks around here do not like railed 1911s. If you really like the look - that's a great gun.

I personally love the full railed Operators - unfortunately, they only make the 3/4 railed TRP Operators now (they make the full railed ones every so often, but my local shop has like 12 on order and the latest batch is way overdue).

I missed buying a TRP Operator (full rail) in 2003 - And in 2008 - I ordered a Custom Shop Full Rail Operator because I like the squared off look of that particular operator...

One on GB right now...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200819093

u4ea
11-14-2010, 17:43
Couple on GB now. Range from $1,500-1,800ish.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200926970
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200123313
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200867191

First one is buy now for a bit over $1400. I have never bought from that site. What all is required? Would I only have to pay the $1400 plus some shipping?

u4ea
11-14-2010, 17:46
I have check card in hand and if I can get some guidance about this gunbroker site, that one for $1400 and change is as good as mine. :)

Quack
11-14-2010, 17:50

around $1500.

also remember that the TRP Op has adjustable night sights as opposed to fixed sight.

I would go with the LW Op or the MC Op for ~$1100 and swap out the rear sight for a 10-8. there is no front strap checkering though. for about $250 you can get the front strap checked by the Custom Shop.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 17:53
So is that first gun listed above for $14xx a steal of a deal? What all do I need to buy from that site?

Quack
11-14-2010, 18:12
you need to sign up.
then if you are the winning bidder, you have to have the gun shipped to an FFL to transfer the gun to you.
FFL fee's are different depending on the FFL. some are as low as $10, where the norm is around $20. There are some FFL's that will at a % to there fee's. One of the dealers that i've seen ad 10% to the MSRP of the gun that they are tranferring.

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 18:16
you need to sign up.
then if you are the winning bidder, you have to have the gun shipped to an FFL to transfer the gun to you.
FFL fee's are different depending on the FFL. some are as low as $10, where the norm is around $20. There are some FFL's that will at a % to there fee's. One of the dealers that i've seen ad 10% to the MSRP of the gun that they are tranferring.

Also read the fine print on the auction. Most sellers include a 3% surcharge for using a credit card. So that $1,500 turns into...

$1,500 gun
+3% credit card fee
+shipping (typically $20-30)
+FFL fee (typically ($20-30)

Quack
11-14-2010, 18:16
I like your avatar :animlol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/hotties.gif

nolt
11-14-2010, 18:27
around $1500.

also remember that the TRP Op has adjustable night sights as opposed to fixed sight.

I would go with the LW Op or the MC Op for ~$1100 and swap out the rear sight for a 10-8. there is no front strap checkering though. for about $250 you can get the front strap checked by the Custom Shop.

if you have a phobia of adjustable sights then sure... but he said its for a home defense and sometimes-range gun.

i wouldnt sweat the sights for his use. i dont see the point in wringing your hands about it.
likewise i wouldnt sweat the bull barrel. if its not a heavy shooter who cares about wear... and it shoots buttery smooth with all that weight up front.

for his stated purposes id argue that the bull barrel MAKES the TRP Op the better choice over the other operators.

jmho, not tryin to be a ******... :whistling:

edit: cmon you cant say no to the kitteh:
http://www.gonbon.com/~nolt/hello_kitty.jpg

Quack
11-14-2010, 18:29
just putting it out there in case he didn't want the adjustable rear, but wanted a railed gun.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 18:32
likewise i wouldnt sweat the bull barrel. if its not a heavy shooter who cares about wear... and it shoots buttery smooth with all that weight up front.

for his stated purposes id argue that the bull barrel MAKES the TRP Op the better choice over the other operators.

I am sorry but I don't quite get this? Bull barrel? Are you implying that this gun wears out quicker than most? Seems like it?

bac1023
11-14-2010, 18:40
I have been looking for a 1911 for a while now. I have no knowledge of them, and I don't want to buy one and find out I bought the "wrong" one, so I haven't picked one up. I am bored with my Glocks and want something that shoots nice but doesn't look like a cheap toy. Is the TRP Operator a high quality 1911? I was told they go for around $1300 used. Any idea how much they are new, and how hard they are to come by?

I want the gun for my home, and to take to the range on infrequent occasions. I don't shoot in matches or anything competitive at all. I just want a gun that looks nice and I can have for 50 years. I have heard over and over about how much tweaking a 1911 needs out of the box. Is this just Glock people trying to bring the gun down, or do these guns really not come ready to shoot like a Glock does? I've only ever owned Glocks, so I am new to this. I don't wanna spend $1600 and find out I could have had everything I needed for 1/2 the price. I think the TRP Operator may be the gun for me, but I don't know what else is out there. Is the TRP Operator too much gun for someone who will probably only bring it out once a month?

If you need a rail, the TRP Operator may be the right gun for you.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 18:41
If you need a rail, the TRP Operator may be the right gun for you.

I'd like to put a light on it for sure. I'd give up the rail if it meant it would hinder the gun, like a lot of the .40 Glocks suffer with a rail. A rail is nice, but it's not a deal breaker. How much tweaking does this gun need to be as reliable as possible? I don't wanna be oiling and tweaking it every month.

Quack
11-14-2010, 18:51
I'd like to put a light on it for sure. I'd give up the rail if it meant it would hinder the gun, like a lot of the .40 Glocks suffer with a rail. A rail is nice, but it's not a deal breaker. How much tweaking does this gun need to be as reliable as possible? I don't wanna be oiling and tweaking it every month.

the big difference is that a Glock is plastic, and plastic flxes ;)

1911's NEED to be lubricated.
once it's running properly, the only things usually needed are springs.
as for oiling, use grease on the parts that slide and oil on pivoting parts.
IF lubricating is too much work, then look at a different platform.

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 18:51
How much tweaking does this gun need to be as reliable as possible? I don't wanna be oiling and tweaking it every month.

Uh oh. Maybe you should save $1,000 and get a Glock21SF. :rofl:

u4ea
11-14-2010, 19:00
Does the Range Officer model fit better for someone like me who has only used Glocks, and likes their "pick them up, shoot them, put them away, repeat" ability? I am NOT a gun guy, but I like guns and like to shoot. I've never owned more than 3 guns at one time, and never been to the range more than 3 times in a month. 3 times in a week may be the norm for a lot of you, so I just want something that looks NICE and can sit there for months at a time and not rust away or need to be constantly looked at. I have an 870 but also want a handgun on my night stand. I have never liked the look of Glocks, but they work for a gun noob like me. Maybe it's true that the 1911 is like a BMW M3 where you can't just change the oil and drive for 5k miles trouble free like a Civic.

Quack
11-14-2010, 19:00
from
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Users_Guide.html

Maintenance and Field Checks
The 1911 was designed in an era when guns were expected to be hand fit at the factory, and some modicum of field maintenance was expected. In the modern era of mass production and interchangeable CNC parts, the 1911 seems a bit of a dinosaur to some. For a dedicated and knowledgeable end user, the 1911 has no equal. For non-dedicated personnel, they are better served by a modern, low maintenance weapon such as a Glock, SIG, or HK. That said, the dedicated user can perform certain checks to ensure maximum performance from the 1911.

Quack
11-14-2010, 19:03
Does the Range Officer model fit better for someone like me who has only used Glocks, and likes their "pick them up, shoot them, put them away, repeat" ability? I am NOT a gun guy, but I like guns and like to shoot. I've never owned more than 3 guns at one time, and never been to the range more than 3 times in a month. 3 times in a week may be the norm for a lot of you, so I just want something that looks NICE and can sit there for months at a time and not rust away or need to be constantly looked at. I have an 870 but also want a handgun on my night stand. I have never liked the look of Glocks, but they work for a gun noob like me. Maybe it's true that the 1911 is like a BMW M3 where you can't just change the oil and drive for 5k miles trouble free like a Civic.

All 1911's require maintenance (lubrication)

if you don't like the Glock's looks, look at a M&P.

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 19:09
from
http://www.10-8performance.com/1911_Users_Guide.html

Hey, I know where he can find a like new HK P2000. :rofl:

Quack
11-14-2010, 19:09
Hey, I know where he can find a like new HK P2000. :rofl:

i was just thinking the same thing :rofl:

Quack
11-14-2010, 19:10
and 5k oil changes are nothing on a Civic.
try +20k between oil changes. knedrgr knows what i'm talking about :faint: :rofl:

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 19:12
i was just thinking the same thing :rofl:

:animlol:

Quack
11-14-2010, 19:29
from Larry Vickers
http://vickerstactical.com/faqs-with-larry-vickers/

7. How do I know if a 1911 is the right choice for me?

That is a tough question as I feel most people are best served NOT using a 1911 as a primary sidearm. Two criteria come to mind a) A passion for the 1911 platform and b) you are willing to be your own armorer and can fix relatively minor problems or fit certain parts yourself. If you are the kind of guy that doesn’t mind tinkering with your Harley Davidson motorcycle to keep it running then you are a candidate. If however you treat your pistols like we all treat our lawnmowers then don’t get a 1911 – use a Glock.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 19:41
Guess my 1911 dreams are over before they even began. :lol:

On the bright side, I just saved myself $1,600. :)

Quack
11-14-2010, 19:50
Guess my 1911 dreams are over before they even began. :lol:

On the bright side, I just saved myself $1,600. :)

rather have you know up front rather spend the $ then complain about the 1911 platform. IMO the 1911 is still a better platform. Gun care doesn't bother me since all my guns get the same attention, regardless of platform.

nolt
11-14-2010, 20:03
I am sorry but I don't quite get this? Bull barrel? Are you implying that this gun wears out quicker than most? Seems like it?

no im not implying that it wears out quicker, but since bull barrels dont use a bushing and wear back and forth directly on the slide there is some amount of criticism for them in that when/if they do wear out, refitting a new barrel isnt quite as 'easy.'
in the case of the TRP operator, however, the slide is prepped to fit a traditional barrel and bushing regardless.

there are several reasons why people prefer or dont prefer bull barrels. for a home defense/occasional range gun i personally think theyre great. they weigh the muzzle down and you arent worrying about the future hassle of barrel replacement because you just honestly arent shooting a crazy amount of ammo through it.

my trp operator is the only gun i have with a bull barrel and i really really like shooting it.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 20:03
I hate doing handywork like that. I don't even like changing my oil on my car. I still do it, but I have no desire to learn to fix things. Why is it that a $1500 1911 needs more care than a $500 Glock? I'm not trolling here, I am curious. Why can't they make a 1911 that is as "bulletproof" as a G21?

Quack
11-14-2010, 20:14
I hate doing handywork like that. I don't even like changing my oil on my car. I still do it, but I have no desire to learn to fix things. Why is it that a $1500 1911 needs more care than a $500 Glock? I'm not trolling here, I am curious. Why can't they make a 1911 that is as "bulletproof" as a G21?

they are, just needs lube, just like a car engine need oil.

one of my firearm instructors has over 100k rounds through his 1911 and hasn't skipped a beat.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 20:18
^^ I have no problems doing that. I just don't want to constantly be fixing stuff. The more I look, the more I think the range officer is right for me. It doesn't have a ton of extras that I don't need anyways. I NEED a .45, and don't want to settle on a G21SF out of my ignorance or laziness lol.

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 20:27
they are, just needs lube, just like a car engine need oil.

one of my firearm instructors has over 100k rounds through his 1911 and hasn't skipped a beat.

100k rounds and it is still as blingy and shiny as new. Well, except for the 11 gold hammers and 21 safeties that fell off.

http://hammerbackguns.com/images/1191109PG1.jpg

Quack
11-14-2010, 20:33
don't need to fix stuff, just lube.
also Springfield has great customer service, though i've never sent anything in to them.

the only 2 issues i've EVER had with a 1911 were:
EMP extractor too tight - easy fix at the range after 50rds and it's been good ever since and i probably have 2000rds through it now
STI Edge - 140mm mags - needed the mags tuned (mainly the mag lips). no problems after i adjusted them. 3000rds and counting.

i think my 1911 with the most rounds through it is my Loaded with ~5000rds and hasn't skipped a beat, except for when i was testing out Slide-Glide Lite in a cold weather pistol class. wiped out the Slide-Glide and put some oil on and it ran fine. I usually use Wilson or Mil-tec grease, but wanted to see how the Slide Glide would perform in colder temp.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 20:36
I don't know any 1911 guys, and I don't like to learn things without having someone with knowledge show me, and allow me to do it in front of them a few times. Are there any 1911 guys in the Twin Cities area on here?

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-14-2010, 20:38
Be aware that you probably will not wear out the fitting of a bull barrel in your lifetime, more than likely. I think that argument is not a reasonable one, for most people.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 20:39
Is the Range Officer a better HD gun than the TRP Operator?

Quack
11-14-2010, 20:40
Is the Range Officer a better HD gun than the TRP Operator?

the RO is tailored more to game gun crowd.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 20:42
the RO is tailored more to game gun crowd.

So the TRP is the better HD gun? I have no problem spending the money on the right gun, since 50 years of enjoyment is worth a few coins.

Quack
i still think that for your use a LW Operator would fit the need for $500 less than the TRP Operator.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/images/D/IMGP1903.JPG

bluelineman
I don't know any 1911 guys, and I don't like to learn things without having someone with knowledge show me, and allow me to do it in front of them a few times. Are there any 1911 guys in the Twin Cities area on here?

All you need is a digital camera & keyboard. The guys here can diagnose most problems.

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 20:44
i still think that for your use a LW Operator would fit the need for $500 less than the TRP Operator.

Agreed. :thumbsup:

Quack
11-14-2010, 20:46
i would've said the MC Operator, but don't care for the green frame ;)

http://www.topnotchtactical.com/images/products/1911Operator.JPG

u4ea
11-14-2010, 20:52

Looks good to me. What makes the TRP cost $500 more than this one you showed me?

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 20:53
i would've said the MC Operator, but don't care for the green frame ;)

http://www.topnotchtactical.com/images/products/1911Operator.JPG

I could do without the poop green frame and Shipwreck grips. :ack:

Quack
11-14-2010, 21:04
Looks good to me. What makes the TRP cost $500 more than this one you showed me?

fitting, sights, bull barrel, front strap checkering, magwell and frame is steel (LW is alloy, the MC is steel)

the Operator models are all made in Illinois. all the ones that i've handled have been well built.

FWIW carbon steel will be fit and stay tighter than alloy.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-14-2010, 21:06
I could do without the poop green frame and Shipwreck grips. :ack:

Well, those grips are pretty awesome. And, everyone who has held my Ed Brown has commented on their own (without me prompting) how much they like the pachmeyer grips.

I had an MC Operator once upon a time. With the black grips and black small parts, the green frame is actually very nice. When people change the grips to something else, however, then the green gets to be a bit much, IMHO.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 21:17
fitting, sights, bull barrel, front strap checkering, magwell and frame is steel (LW is alloy, the MC is steel)

the Operator models are all made in Illinois. all the ones that i've handled have been well built.

FWIW carbon steel will be fit and stay tighter than alloy.

I'd rather spend more and get the steel then. I have no problem paying for quality, I just don't wanna pay for something I don't need. Kinda like an old man in a Bmw M3 when all he really needs is a basic 3 series.

Quack
11-14-2010, 21:20
to throw a twist into things, have you looked at the STI Duty One?
It's about $1300.
http://www.stiguns.com/guns/DutyOne/images/DutyOne_Main.jpg

u4ea
11-14-2010, 21:22
My buddy said for this amount of coin I should just get a Dan Wesson Valor. He's not local, though so can't tell me where I could find one locally.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 21:23
to throw a twist into things, have you looked at the STI Duty One?
It's about $1300.
http://www.stiguns.com/guns/DutyOne/images/DutyOne_Main.jpg

Not a huge fan of how this looks to be honest.

Quack
11-14-2010, 21:25
yep, that's another option too, if a rail is not needed.

a SS Valor can be had for ~$1400, while the black one is quite a bit more (+$350)

Quack
11-14-2010, 21:26
and if you are in the $1500-$1600 range, then you could go with a Les Baer.

{waiting for the hecklers to come out} :rofl:

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 21:27
My buddy said for this amount of coin I should just get a Dan Wesson Valor. He's not local, though so can't tell me where I could find one locally.

The Valor is a nice gun, but no rail.

Hokie1911
11-14-2010, 21:30
and if you are in the $1500-$1600 range, then you could go with a Les Baer.

{waiting for the hecklers to come out} :rofl:

Like he said...the Valor is kind of a high(er) end production gun. Great gun, but that kind of coin gets you into entry level semi-custom with a Les Baer. Most folks here (except Quack) would easily choose the Baer at this pricepoint.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 21:34
Thanks for the civil replies guys! It helps a lot! I am sure these questions are basic and idiotic, but hey I am learning. :)

Here's what I want out of a 1911, in order:

1. Must be as reliable as possible, since it's main use is HD
2. Must look nice to me.. No Glock ever has looked nice to me, sadly
3. Price is an issue, but I'd rather pay 1600 and be happy than pay 900 for crap
4. Must be .45acp... No 9mm

I have only owned 9mm and 40s&w Glocks, so .45 will be new to me. Might as well learn it on a 1911 than buy another Glock. :)

bluelineman
11-14-2010, 21:40

You could order online through an FFL. I did that recently for my Dan Wesson CBOB. They typically charge ~ $25.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 21:43
I'd love to find a place locally that sells them so I can handle them before I buy... $1,500 is a lot to spend to realize I hate how it feels in hand.

woodrowNC
11-14-2010, 21:47
Thanks for the civil replies guys! It helps a lot! I am sure these questions are basic and idiotic, but hey I am learning. :)

3. Price is an issue, but I'd rather pay 1600 and be happy than pay 900 for crap

I have only owned 9mm and 40s&w Glocks, so .45 will be new to me. Might as well learn it on a 1911 than buy another Glock. :)

900 dollars will not buy you crap. all the major manufacturers make good guns in that range. for someone who shoots as seldom as you, a 15-1600 hundred dollar gun will mostly be a showpiece. and there's no major maint. you won't be fitting bull barrels, bushings and the like. it's easy to field strip. a little oil, grease and some hoppes. it's nowhere near as complicated as you're making it. springfield loaded, colt 1991a1, kimber whatever. all very good guns. just as reliable as a glock and 10000 times more attractive.

bluelineman
11-14-2010, 21:47
I hear ya.

u4ea
11-14-2010, 21:54
Are steel 1911's the best at reducing recoil? As someone who doesn't shoot much, the less recoil the easier I can get back on target.

woodrowNC
11-14-2010, 22:01
Are steel 1911's the best at reducing recoil? As someone who doesn't shoot much, the less recoil the easier I can get back on target.

yes, that 39 oz all steel gun makes shooting a pleasure. and 50 yrs from now, if you take care of it, perhaps it'll be worth more than you paid for it.

nolt
11-15-2010, 06:41

if youre scraping the rail then this thread just needs to be startedededed over. :whistling:
DW Valor prolly not the answer per criteria #1

raven11
11-15-2010, 07:37

as a first time 1911 owner i can say with full confidence yes, my buddy caught the .45acp bug and bought a G21, after firing one magazine he spent the rest of his ammo shooting it out of my 1911

just for kicks we put the target to the full 75 foot mark and we were still making hits center mass on the paper

Bill Lumberg
11-15-2010, 12:26
Other than comparing the guns you list to glock in reliability (not quite the case), you are spot on, Woodrow. Several nice guns in that price range. While it requires more care an maintenance than a glock, I've never had a problem with my Loaded or with my more carefree glocks. Ditto on the 10,000 times more attractive too.

900 dollars will not buy you crap. all the major manufacturers make good guns in that range. for someone who shoots as seldom as you, a 15-1600 hundred dollar gun will mostly be a showpiece. and there's no major maint. you won't be fitting bull barrels, bushings and the like. it's easy to field strip. a little oil, grease and some hoppes. it's nowhere near as complicated as you're making it. springfield loaded, colt 1991a1, kimber whatever. all very good guns. just as reliable as a glock and 10000 times more attractive.

ambluemax
11-15-2010, 14:16

I am in the twin cites area. I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internet...but seriously, if you get a 1911 and want to go to the range sometime, hit me up.

Don't worry, this thread even makes my eye glaze over, and I know what they are talking about. Most of the information is good, but allow me to summarize. There are many good options in railed (or non-railed for that matter) 1911's- you picked out one of the best in the price range you're looking at. If you want a great 1911 that you can hang a light on, the TRP-OP is an excellent choice. Quite frankly, you could buy it and never buy a 1911 again if so inclined- its that good (be warned though 1911's are a disease, and they mulitply). Very well made, gtg out of the box, best warrenty and customer service in the business.

The reason 1911's don't run like glocks- especially guns like the TRP, its that they have a lot more parts and those parts are machined to exponentially tighter tolerances than glocks. Why do AK's run dirtier than ARs...AK's are losser than, well...they're loose, and AR's are precision machined to exact tolerances. The precision is a lot of what makes 1911's what they are, but that much metal on metal needs lube. If you clean it every time after you shoot it, you will have zero problems. I have an SA GI 1911 that runs like a glock, but you probably wouldn't be very impressed.

The "needs work out of the box" reputation is from days of old, long story...but it no long applies to quality production 1911's.

Get the TRP- you won't be sorry.

u4ea
11-15-2010, 14:54
^^ Thanks man!

My buddy told me that there's such a thing as the TRP but a non-Operator model. Is this true? Sounds like it's a TRP without the rail? I'd like to buy one soon, but would LOVE to hold one in person first. Do you guys have any ideas?

Quack
11-15-2010, 14:56
^^ Thanks man!

My buddy told me that there's such a thing as the TRP but a non-Operator model. Is this true? Sounds like it's a TRP without the rail? I'd like to buy one soon, but would LOVE to hold one in person first. Do you guys have any ideas?

yep...i've had 2 of them.

my current one that had custom shop work done
http://photosbydon.smugmug.com/photos/1004737685_v9eqL-L-2.jpg

and my old one that i sold to fund my TGO-1
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/DSC_0339.jpg

u4ea
11-15-2010, 15:10
Did I read correctly that the stainless models are less reliable and tend to rattle more? I am learning a lot all at once, but I believe I read that on here, maybe from bac1023 when he said he likes the "x material" more than stainless? I can only get one gun so I want it to be the right one.

Quack
11-15-2010, 15:15
SS is just as reliable, however (IME) the stainless guns will loosen up sooner than a carbon steel gun. this has nothing to do with reliability.
for the amount of shooting that i am getting from you, either will suit you fine. if you are a high volume shooter, then i would recommend a carbon steel gun.

after 5000rounds my SS Loaded has loosened up, but it's still a good reliable shooter.

Chuche2
11-15-2010, 15:20
I have the non railed TRP and you can't go wrong buying one. It's as tight as my Les Baer Thunder Ranch.

Quack
11-15-2010, 15:21
if you want a gun that i doubt you would ever shoot loose, get a Baer, or a Springfield Custom Carry (~$1700). Of all guns that i own, the Springfield Custom Shop guns are THE tightest guns that i own.

ambluemax
11-15-2010, 17:01
Yes they make two non-railed versions. I have one of those (pictured <-)

Honestly dude, TRP's are solid. I would consider any variation of the TRP to be toward the top of the list of production guns to buy if you are only going to buy 1. I have a modest collection of 4 1911's...the TRP is the only one I "need"

Also, other owners back me up on this, TRP is one of those guns that ware-in not out. Mine feels more buttery smooth now than it did when I bought it.

u4ea
11-15-2010, 17:11
I am sold on the trp.. I have the money now, but is there a better time than now to buy? Any reason the price would drop 100 or more in the next few months?

Quack
11-15-2010, 17:28
nope. check out Jetguns.com i think they had TRP's ~$1300

u4ea
11-15-2010, 17:36
If I go to a local ffl can they get the gun at any kind of discount?

Hokie1911
11-15-2010, 17:38
If I go to a local ffl can they get the gun at any kind of discount?

Your best bet is to buy from a reputable online dealer. Will most likely get the best price and no sales tax. Even with shipping and FFL you will probably come out ahead.

Quack
11-15-2010, 17:38
not unless you know them...they have to make $ too.

u4ea
11-15-2010, 17:40
I don't "know" anyone in the know when it comes to guns, so no deals for me lol..

ambluemax
11-15-2010, 17:51
the price is only going up...three years ago you could get new ones for $900 once in awhile

Quack
11-15-2010, 18:09
the price is only going up...three years ago you could get new ones for $900 once in awhile

yep...

carguy2244
11-15-2010, 19:28
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200084052

This one looks like a good deal.

carguy2244
11-15-2010, 19:30
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200084052

This one looks like a good deal.

I picked up NIB for 1025 in SS on GB. Just gotta shop.

u4ea
11-18-2010, 06:54
I can't wait to pick one up! Only thing left to figure out is the color.

Glolt20-91
11-18-2010, 22:38
Once you get it, you'll probably shoot it a lot more than you anticipate now.

Bob :cowboy: