Colt Lightweight Government XSE [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Lightweight Government XSE

tx787
11-14-2010, 23:02
So I traded in a couple pistols I found myself never taking to the range or valuing for a Colt Lightweight Government XSE O1880XSE. I knew I wanted a Government sized 1911 and either a Colt or a Kimber. Since I already have a Kimber and since my LGS didn't have a TLE or Eclipse I decided to go with Colt. After much deliberation I ended up getting a Lightweight Government XSE. I was really hesitant to get a alloy framed 1911 since I'm not carrying it but the other Colts they had were stainless, railed or 38 super and I wanted a blue/black finish so I decided to try this.

I'm really excited to own a Colt, even if it has some aberrations such as an alloy frame, full length guide rod, ambi safety and stupid FPS. I have a couple of questions which hopefully some of the resident experts can answer for me.

I really don't understand why it has an ambi-safety, how difficult is this to change. Can I buy a single side safety from Colt and drop it in or does this require a gunsmith?

Also, there seems to be some play/wobble in both the trigger and grip safety, it seems like it's not as well put together as my Kimber. Is this normal for a Colt or does mine need some tweaking?

The Novak's sights are great, I might have to get some for my other 1911.

Thanks!

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/trevdawg48/photo5-4.jpg

Big Time
11-14-2010, 23:16
I like it! Very NICE!

GVFlyer
11-14-2010, 23:23
Mighty nice. I really like Colts.

tx787
11-14-2010, 23:28
Thanks guys! I'm excited to finally have a Colt! It'll get out to the range within the week.

DPris
11-15-2010, 00:40
The Lightweight GM has an ambi safety because it's a part of Colt's XSE line, which happens to have, among other XSE features, an ambi safety.
It's not hard to replace with a single side safety, BUT those are NOT a drop in part & DO require fitting. Gunsmith operation if you don't know how to do it.

Mine has some "wobble" in trigger & grip safety, just loose tolerances & will not affect function negatively.
That can actually be a benefit if you take your pistol to war in swamps or sandy places. Also handy in resisting dust bunny incursions even if you don't take it to war.

You should see a Commander I have, top quality famous name grip safety that's about as loose as a goose with a drinking problem. :)
Denis

den888
11-15-2010, 22:57
Nice Colt !!!

tx787
01-12-2011, 15:06
I just got it back from my gunsmith. He installed a 4 leaf sear spring that took the wobble out the trigger, he explained that the trigger shoe did not mate to the disconnector (gotta love series 80) and that was causing the wobble. He also tightened the grip safety (not sure how). Now the gun feels solid and I'm taking it to the range this weekend!

Hokie1911
01-12-2011, 16:11
Nice! Congrats. :thumbsup:

thecableguy
01-12-2011, 18:44
I just got it back from my gunsmith. He installed a 4 leaf sear spring that took the wobble out the trigger, he explained that the trigger shoe did not mate to the disconnector (gotta love series 80) and that was causing the wobble. He also tightened the grip safety (not sure how). Now the gun feels solid and I'm taking it to the range this weekend!

Let us know how she does?