Question .40 S&W combination [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question .40 S&W combination

Paul_J
11-15-2010, 07:41
I am new to reloading and have a question.

I was given a very old Reeding C frame single stage press from a family member. (has 7-1) on the side. Really heavy. I purchased a set of lee dies for the .40S&W and a Lee Auto Prime.

Before I started loading I sat down with a friend that has been loading .40 for a many years and had him teach me a few things. I brought my Lee .5 cc dipper and we weighed the amount of one full dipper using Bullseye powder and it was 5gr. on the money. Using the Lee chart I can load 165gr. and 180gr. using the dipper and bullseye powder. I loaded 50 rounds using this formula and 165gr fmj (from Zero) and the results at the range were good. No tumbling and seamed fairly accurate. They weren't as powerful as some factory loaded federals that I brought to compare.

So my question. Anyone see any issues with what I'm doing? This formula seams to work well with my G23. I'm on a budget so a real fancy setup is not possible right now.

WiskyT
11-15-2010, 08:23
No, nothing wrong with what your doing. I get people started like that all the time. You can make your own dippers to if you have access to a scale. You file down pistol cases until they throw the amount you're looking for. I crazy glue them to a bamboo skewer for a handle and use a fine point sharpie to lable the dipper as to what it throws.

The only way you could screw up is if you use the wrong dipper. Don't bother buying the kit because they are too far apart in size for pistol. They come in 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7. the 0.3 is too small for most things, the 0.7 is too big for most things, and the 0.5 you already have. I like to use 32ACP case to make dippers with as they seem to be the right diameter for just about any pistol charge.

Stand buy for all the gear junkies to tell you all of the things you need to go out and buy...

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2010, 08:31
No, nothing wrong with what your doing. I get people started like that all the time. You can make your own dippers to if you have access to a scale. You file down pistol cases until they throw the amount you're looking for. I crazy glue them to a bamboo skewer for a handle and use a fine point sharpie to lable the dipper as to what it throws.

The only way you could screw up is if you use the wrong dipper. Don't bother buying the kit because they are too far apart in size for pistol. They come in 0.3, 0.5 and 0.7. the 0.3 is too small for most things, the 0.7 is too big for most things, and the 0.5 you already have. I like to use 32ACP case to make dippers with as they seem to be the right diameter for just about any pistol charge.

Stand buy for all the gear junkies to tell you all of the things you need to go out and buy...

Pretty much what was said above... However, at the risk of sounding like a "gear junkie" (far from it)... You could buy an Auto Disk, and leave it mounted on your expander die... that would allow you to expand the case and drop a consistent charge in one step.. and the pro auto disk is only about 40 bucks.

But... I see nothing wrong w/ what you're doing.... If you're happy with it, I'd keep doing it.

IGF

Paul_J
11-15-2010, 08:57
Thanks guys, great advice from both. Since I am new to reloading I needed a reality check. The two guys I shoot with both reload but have progressive presses so I'm kind of the odd man out around here.

I thought about making some dippers but did not even think of using old pistol cases. Like you mentioned, the Lee dipper set is too far apart. Great idea!

On the Pro Auto Disk.....it's on my wish list! My press leans back about 8 to 10 deg. Do you think that would have an affect on the Auto Disk?

I'm using a small powder funnel with my expander die right now so I add powder at this step anyway. I line them up in a row and shine a flashlight across them after I add the powder and look for any of them that are off.

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2010, 09:20
On the Pro Auto Disk.....it's on my wish list! My press leans back about 8 to 10 deg. Do you think that would have an affect on the Auto Disk?

Now that, I don't know... I'm gonna guess it would probably be OK, as long as it doesn't lean back so far, that it effects how it fills the cavity on the disk.

Just make sure if you get the auto disk pro... It includes the "spring return lever"... I think most of the time it does, but just make sure.

IGF

WiskyT
11-15-2010, 13:19
I've been using Lee's disc measure,old style and with the "Pro" upgrade, since I got my Pro 1000 25 years ago. I love it. I never used it at 8* since my house is plumb. I think it would work fine at a slight angle. You will be doubling the cost of your reloading outfit for little gain though. You can drop your powder charge with the dipper right through the expander die, so all you save onj is the manipulation of the dipper. You will be making a slow process a little less slow.

shotgunred
11-15-2010, 15:35
You should just ask your buddies to use their press and load enough for a month.
Several guys in my IDPA group bum reloading time on other members presses. No big deal.

We even encourage it to get more people into shooting sports.

Paul_J
11-16-2010, 07:54
You will be doubling the cost of your reloading outfit for little gain though. You can drop your powder charge with the dipper right through the expander die, so all you save onj is the manipulation of the dipper. You will be making a slow process a little less slow.

Good point about making a slow process a little less slow. I was thinking I may just be over complicating a very simple process or putting a Rolls Royce grill on a Beetle! I'm dropping the powder charge through the expander die using a small powder funnel. I'll wait until I can afford a progressive press. As of now I'm fine with my setup.