Spy ware? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Spy ware?

Z71bill
11-15-2010, 10:11
My daughter needed a way to convert the IPOD connection in her car so it would keep the battery charged. Needed to go from 12V to 5V.

I did a few searches and found what she needed - ordered it Saturday.

Today I click on a news web site and I'll be dammed - the solution to my problem shows up in an ad on the site.

It must be MAGIC! :upeyes:

Anything reasonable a person can do to block this stuff?

filthy infidel
11-15-2010, 17:04
I am watching you!:whistling:

Two things we always run at a residential client's home:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

and

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run these links in 'safe mode'- RESTART your 'puter, start tapping 'F8' when the BIOS (manufacturer screen, et-al) appears, and select 'boot safe mode with networking'. Download, update, then run these, 'quick scan' will probably be fine. Do what they say (remove all, etc), and then reboot. As of late there has been a rash of malware. Hopefully this will fix your issue, then consider some good security like Kaspersky, etc.

Best regards,
FI

solomansousana
11-15-2010, 18:10
You could also try clearing your cache and cookies, as these keep tidbits of info about what your looking at and what your looking for.

Z71bill
11-15-2010, 19:29
Just seems sort of creepy - I do a search - find the $15 cable I need - order it - and the next day similar stuff starts popping up.

I am NOT the we need a law type of person - but we need a law like DO NOT CALL call list - LEAVE MY PC ALONE and STOP TRACKING ME list.

I ran the Malwarebytes a few days ago - but not in safe mode.

Will give it a shot tomorrow.

Thanks --

srhoades
11-15-2010, 20:01
There is nothing you can do about it. Almost all search engines track what you search by your IP address and then provide relevant ads. The same way the grocery stores track what you buy with your club card and then print relevant coupons.

IndyGunFreak
11-16-2010, 07:52
You could also try clearing your cache and cookies, as these keep tidbits of info about what your looking at and what your looking for.

This...

That's really probably a cookies issue, rather than spyware (which some claim cookies are anyway)..

IGF

Clay1
11-16-2010, 08:18
I run XP and in XP if you right click the big E, explorer icon and then click on privacy you can dissallow cookies. I don't allow cookies on my machine from sites that I visit occationally. I choose the option that says, prompt me to allow cookies, or something like that. So everytime a new site wants to add a cookie, I say no unless it is someplace that I visit often. I allow the BBs that I viist to have cookies on my machine and online banking types of things but most places get blocked completely.

Now this does stop me from visiting some sites that won't allow access without allowing cookies, but I am OK living like that. The less information that I give out about myself on the web, I consider that a win for me.

Rick

srhoades
11-16-2010, 10:44
Cookies have very little to do with it anymore. It is all tracked by your public IP address these days.

solomansousana
11-16-2010, 13:24
There is nothing you can do about it. Almost all search engines track what you search by your IP address and then provide relevant ads. The same way the grocery stores track what you buy with your club card and then print relevant coupons.

Bingo, when you do a search, you get cookies left behind storing what you searched for. When you make a purchase, you leave cookies on your computer. Now, cookies are supposedly only read by the company that put them on your system, but we all know that most likely ain't so. All you gotta do when you finish your browsing is simply clear your temp folder cache and cookies.

As someone else stated here, it could also be your IP. GRC.com has a great program called SHIELDS UP, which scans your system for leaks or open ports, but, you can do as I do, I surf the web on a guest account using NIS 2011, a foxguard firebox which is a hardware firewall, and I surf through anonymizer.com, which provides secure tunneling from your system to theirs, and from their they mask your IP so you do all your web surfing through their IP.

Verrater
11-17-2010, 02:33
As others have said you can learn to surf via proxy.
If you don't want to do that use firefox and download ad-block plus.
Download the free version of ad aware se and run scans every once in a while to get rid of bad cookies and MRU lists.