Reloaded brass in Glock OEM barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloaded brass in Glock OEM barrel?

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 15:20
(I tried searching but the search function doesn't seem to be working too well at the present.)

How many times do you shoot reloaded brass in a Glock OEM barrel? I have G27 (.40 S&W) and a G29 (10mm). I'm guessing those two are about the worst case scenario in terms of loose chambers/lack of case support/bulged brass. I was thinking of using the brass five times in the .40 and less than that (2 or 3?) in the 10mm. Obviously, regardless of how many times it's been used, I'd still need to do a good visual inspection and toss any brass that has cracks, splits, etc.

BTW, I got a Lee Bulge Buster today and it specifically says not to use in Glocks chambered in .40.

TIA,

Jim :cool:

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 15:23
BTW, I'd says my reloads are around the middle of the scale in terms of power - about 900fps with a 180 grain bullet.

shotgunred
11-15-2010, 15:29
I just use my Dillon resizing die.
How many times do you shoot reloaded brass in a Glock OEM barrel?I can't tell you I just keep recycling it into the brass bucket as long as it isn't cracked. Lets just say lots of times. (10+)

BTW, I got a Lee Bulge Buster today and it specifically says not to use in Glocks chambered in .40.:rofl::rofl::brickwall::deadhorse:

XDRoX
11-15-2010, 15:35
Just reload it until in splits. If you're not loading it hot, you'll get lots of loads out of it. Over 10 times easy.

How old are your Glocks? What gen?

Hoser
11-15-2010, 15:41
Reload it till you cant read the headstamp or till it cracks.

XDRoX
11-15-2010, 15:42

You stop when you can't read the headstamp? Don't be so wasteful:supergrin:

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 15:50
BTW, I got a Lee Bulge Buster today and it specifically says not to use in Glocks chambered in .40.

Then what is the point of having one?!

The whole Glock bulged brass thing is these days way over rated in my opinion too… All my brass has been range pickups from mostly once fired sources, a lot from Glocks. I have never had issues with any of the traditional sizing dies I have used or even on the proprietary SDB dies for that matter. I have fired new factory ammo from my Glock, reloaded it for my LWD/KKM .40 barrels and vice versa… no problems.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 16:02
I can't tell you I just keep recycling it into the brass bucket as long as it isn't cracked. Lets just say lots of times. (10+)
Just reload it until in splits. If you're not loading it hot, you'll get lots of loads out of it. Over 10 times easy.
You stop when you can't read the headstamp? Don't be so wasteful:supergrin:
Ok, it sounds like my "use it five times then toss it" plan should be good. Maybe a bit on the conservative side, but I'm fine with that.

Are you all using the OEM barrels?

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 16:05
How old are your Glocks? What gen?
I just bought the G27 brand new about a month ago but the fired brass from the factory has a date of 9/14/09 (I thought it was weird that the gun was made over a year ago).

The G29 has a rail and finger grooves.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 16:08
Then what is the point of having one?!
That was my question to the good people at Lee (I called them). The guy I spoke with said it was ok to use on brass that had been fired from a Glock one time but to never use the brass in a Glock again. I'm only relaying what he told me...:dunno:

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 16:11
:rofl::rofl::brickwall::deadhorse:
So, without beating this to death any more, using the BB should be fine, correct?

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 16:12
That was my question to the good people at Lee (I called them). The guy I spoke with said it was ok to use on brass that had been fired from a Glock one time but to never use the brass in a Glock again. I'm only relaying what he told me...:dunno:

Honestly Jim that sounds like a lawyer talking... personally I wouldn't use it unless you were actually having an issue. By the sounds of you G27 born date you won't.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 16:17
...personally I wouldn't use it unless you were actually having an issue.
I bought a LWD .40 barrel for the G27 and I've been having numerous FTF issues with it. (Of course, I haven't had any problems with the OEM barrel - it's been 100% reliable). I was thinking the BB might solve the FTF issue. :dunno:

HAMMERHEAD
11-15-2010, 16:18
Your 10mm loads sounds like it should be low pressure unless you're using some super fast powder. Brass should go a long way.
My old 2nd gen G-20 treats my brass just fine. I load to about 1,000 fps with 180's and 165's with SR 7625.

.40 is not my game, so I'll stay on the side lines there.

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 16:25
I bought a LWD .40 barrel for the G27 and I've been having numerous FTF issues with it. (Of course, I haven't had any problems with the OEM barrel - it's been 100% reliable). I was thinking the BB might solve the FTF issue. :dunno:

Are you firing lead what bullet profile? The LWD is super tight, too tight in alot of cases. Are you case gauging with the actual barrel? A trip back to LWD with a few dummy rounds to have then open up the barrel a little could be in order.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 16:31
No, I don't shoot any lead at all. I'd agree with the "too tight" assessment. I tried a few of the reloads in the LWD barrel (with the barrel out of the gun) and they fit fine. Most of the reloads fed (in actual use) into the the LWD barrel ok, but I'd guess there was a 5-10% FTF rate.

WiskyT
11-15-2010, 16:32

Throw the LWD barrel off of a bridge. Every week we get a thread where some guiy has a problem with 40SW. After a few posts, it invariably comes out to be the LWD barrle they are using. If your stock barrel works, and your LWD barrel doesn't, why would you bother with the LWD barrel?

BK63
11-15-2010, 16:34
I've reloaded 45 acp probably 20 to 30 times until it starts to split. I use the same batch until they start to split and then toss them in a bunch.

GioaJack
11-15-2010, 16:35
Let your butler do the loading and one of your ex-wives do the test firing... why worry about things you don't have too?

Jack

WiskyT
11-15-2010, 16:39
Here is last week's "I am having a 40SW problem thread":

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16272485#post16272485

HAMMERHEAD
11-15-2010, 16:43
Minimizing flaring and crimping also extends brass life.

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 16:49
Throw the LWD barrel off of a bridge. Every week we get a thread where some guiy has a problem with 40SW. After a few posts, it invariably comes out to be the LWD barrle they are using. If your stock barrel works, and your LWD barrel doesn't, why would you bother with the LWD barrel?

I have to agree with Whiskey, if your not intending to load lead... don't bother. The Glock OEM barrel will serve you well. I gave up on loading lead altogether, not time and mess vs. cost effective for my and my Glocks in .40
FMJ was just so much easier. These days 80 percent of what I load is 9mm. I use FMJ for the Glocks and am transitioning to moly lead for the guns I have that are standard rifled.

IndyGunFreak
11-15-2010, 16:55
No, I don't shoot any lead at all. I'd agree with the "too tight" assessment. I tried a few of the reloads in the LWD barrel (with the barrel out of the gun) and they fit fine. Most of the reloads fed (in actual use) into the the LWD barrel ok, but I'd guess there was a 5-10% FTF rate.

The 3rd Gen Glocks(at least the later ones, like an 09 would be)... should have no significant problems w/ the "Glock Bulge". I own several Glock 40's. Two are "later model" Gen 3's, and one from 2000. The 00 Gen 3 Glock 22, has significantly less case support than my 05-06ish Glock 23 and 27. If I pull the barrels and drop a round in them, the Glock 22's definitely exposed at the 6:00 position.

As new as your Glock is, you really shouldn't be having a problem w/ the Glock bulge. Double check that your dies are set up correctly.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 17:07
Throw the LWD barrel off of a bridge.
Sounds like good advice. :supergrin::rofl:
If your stock barrel works, and your LWD barrel doesn't, why would you bother with the LWD barrel?
Better case support. (Yes, I'm realizing now that's probably not any real advantage.) Did I mention the LWD barrel also shoots high? (About three inches higher than the OEM barrel.) :upeyes: At least it doesn't have the wolf cartoon on top of it...:tongueout:

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 17:20
Better case support. (Yes, I'm realizing now that's probably not any real advantage.) Did I mention the LWD barrel also shoots high? (About three inches higher than the OEM barrel.) :upeyes: At least it doesn't have the wolf cartoon on top of it...:tongueout:

Like I said, not using lead negates the need for any aftermarket barrel in a Glock.
The barrel POA and POI really is dependant on the shooter and his sight picture. I found all the Glocks that I have owned shoot POI at combat distances, framing the front sight dot on the rear U and placing the dot on the intended target. Obviously with sights changed it will be different. My G34 I found to shoot 4 inches high at 25 yards and had to change the front sight height to bring it back to POA at that distance.
The whole LWD logo debate amuses me... how much people really take that stuff so seriously. I've owned severasl LWD barrels, none of them could I ever see the logo when it counted fron behind lining up the sight.

PCJim
11-15-2010, 21:37
I agree with the others. If you are not shooting lead, why are you using an aftermarket barrel? The ONLY reason for using a LW or SL barrel is for lead and even then, the need for them is a very hotly debated subject.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 22:01
If you are not shooting lead, why are you using an aftermarket barrel?
Better case support.

:wavey:

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 22:25
Better case support. :wavey:

Have you actually looked at the difference in case support between your 2009 Glock OEM barrel and your LWD? I would venture to say not much difference...

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 22:34
Have you actually looked at the difference in case support between your 2009 Glock OEM barrel and your LWD? I would venture to say not much difference...
Yes. IMO, there's a big difference between the Glock OEM and the LWD. Not so much (again, IMO) between the G27 and older G29 barrel. Although, the G27 definitely seems to have more support in the 6:00 position (vs. the G29). The pictures were all taken with unfired factory ammo.

L-R: G29 OEM, G27 OEM, G27 LWD:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5031.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5032.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5033.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5034.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5035.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5036.jpg

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 22:35
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5037.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/jimbinco/DSC_5038.jpg

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 22:38
The .40 round is definitely "looser" (more side-to-side play) in the Glock barrel than in the LWD.

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 22:44
Actually still IMO not much difference...you should see some of the older Glock .40 barrels. These days the Glock .40 barrel as you have pictured has no less case support than any other combat grade firearm manufactured out there. The whole stigmatism has just carried on during the years.

The .40 round is definitely "looser" (more side-to-side play) in the Glock barrel than in the LWD.

It's meant to have a larger diameter bore for reliability of feeding.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 22:49
These days the Glock .40 barrel as you have pictured has no less case support than any other combat grade firearm manufactured out there.
My Kahr K40 definitely has a tighter chamber than my G27. :dunno:

MarkTX
11-15-2010, 22:55

Yep, its obvious. I don't think there's really any problem with using the Glock barrel (at least for jacketed reloads). But the chamber is simply tighter in the LWB -and I can easily tell the difference in the cases after firing. Any brass fired from my stock Glock barrel will expand much more than cases fired through the LWB.

And when I push the load to major power factors I much prefer to be using the brass that was previously fired from the LWB. Who knows if I'm really gaining anything by doing this, but I'm gonna stick with it :dunno:

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 22:55
It's meant to have a larger diameter bore for reliability of feeding.
No doubt.

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 23:10
My Kahr K40 definitely has a tighter chamber than my G27. :dunno:

LOL... though Kahr makes a good firearm. I wouldn't consider them to truly be a combat grade.
I'm not gonna get into a this one has more or less debate... I'm just saying that depending on the make, model, year of manufacture they are give or take. I've seen a couple of older XD and Sigs with the same issues.

Jim B in CO
11-15-2010, 23:36
I'm not gonna get into a this one has more or less debate...
Yeah, no need to do that - the original question has been answered at this point. :thumbsup:

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2010, 04:45

I actually load 10mm with a stock Glock barrel. I load my 180 gr bullets to a little over 1100fps. I have no need for a Bulge Buster. Just a good sizing die and thats it. That 1100fps load is no more CUP pressure then my 9mm gamer load and I load my 9mm till it splits. I still get a little more nervous with a 10mm then a 9mm. Easist thing to do is mark your brass and toss it once a year or something like that.

I know the internet has told you that the Glock barrel sucks. I personally have not touched a Glock barrel that I would not shoot as is using good reloading practices. Not denying that people have problems. But sometimes people know about the potential for a problem so they set about trying to prove that true. Here is the thing. Work your loads up. IF your getting signs of pressure (guppies) then you may have a really loose barrel. MORE THEN LIKELY as you work it up you will see nothing different then any other barrel. Assuming you scrutinize the other barrels as closely as your Glock. Sure a LW will be tighter, but it also may not even run with your reloads so thats not exactly a fair comparision now is it.

Colorado4Wheel
11-16-2010, 04:48
LOL... though Kahr makes a good firearm. I wouldn't consider them to truly be a combat grade.
I'm not gonna get into a this one has more or less debate... I'm just saying that depending on the make, model, year of manufacture they are give or take. I've seen a couple of older XD and Sigs with the same issues.

My Kahr has been as good as any Glock Compact I have used. The chamber is a little tighter but not as tight as a LW barrel or KKM barrel in my experiance. They are not a Combat Pistol. They are a CCW. Most peoples 1911's wouldn't survive a combat criteria either. Whatever that means.

MSgt Dotson
11-17-2010, 06:46
Ok, it sounds like my "use it five times then toss it" plan should be good. Maybe a bit on the conservative side, but I'm fine with that.

Are you all using the OEM barrels?

YOur plan is safer....

.40 brass won't usually just split, it will have a total case head separation....; I've seen one freind have 3 of them in a two month period before he finally mentioned that the batch of brass he was using had been used for 15 or more reloadings...

My advice...pitch them after 6-8 reloads....