Black Hills Ammunition Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills Ammunition Question

Dave Richardson
11-15-2010, 17:37
Mas,

I'm a long time reader of your work and, as you can see, a first time poster here. I rank you up with Finn Aagaard in terms of knowledge, experience and writing abilities.

In the last edition of your book on concealed carry you spoke very highly of the Black Hills Ammunition 230 grain JHP .45 ACP loan that was loaded at the time with the Speer Gold Dot bullet. I recently purchased several boxes of this ammo and it shot very well from my Commander and G21SF. Do you still recommend it as highly as you used to as I do not believe the GD is still loaded in it?

I've also purchased some Black Hills 115 grain JHP EXP for the G17 my wife and I share. What are your feelings on this round, as it shot very well too.

I'm planning on adding a G19 and G30 to the collection soon, are these appropriate choices for both of them for personal defense concealed carry?

Thank you for your time and especially for all your good work.

Mas Ayoob
11-16-2010, 07:29
Black Hills' quality control and accuracy are universally respected in the industry.

That remains true with the Hornady XTP .45 JHP bullet they're using now. Excellent consistency and accuracy, whether loaded by Black Hills or Hornady. My personal needs go more toward the earlier expansion and moderate penetration of the Gold Dot, and less toward the deeper penetration and relatively delayed expansion of the XTP, but your needs may vary. (I can tell you the XTP makes for an impressive .45 ACP wild hog load, though.)

Since Black Hills switched away from Gold Dot in their EXP 9mm load, I haven't tried their new version with a different bullet, and so cannot comment on it.

Best,
Mas