Jumping halfway into someone else's project... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jumping halfway into someone else's project...

geofri
11-15-2010, 17:15
Hey guys, first post over here in Reloading.

I've started reading the stickies, and know I need to read through the forum before noobjamboging it up, but I need to get oriented. I don't even know what i've got here.:whistling: :dunno: (actually my uncle just got it from a friend, and delegated the job of figuring this stuff out to me)

Maybe you can help me sort out what I've actually got, and then i can figure out what I need to get up and running.

Are the books outdated/unsafe to use?

Any idea if this press can do both rifle and pistol calibers with the correct "ad-ons"?

*ETA, I read the sticky that was outdated, and missed the remade sticky of newer info by "colorado4wheel". looks like a lot will be answered there.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3648.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3649.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3650.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3652.jpg

geofri
11-15-2010, 17:16
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3653.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3655.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3654.jpg

shotgunred
11-15-2010, 17:55
You have a three hole lee turret press. You can upgrade it to a four hole for a little money.
Lee still sells a newer version of it.

GioaJack
11-15-2010, 20:40
Read the first few chapters of the Lyman manual, it'll answer a great many of your questions and give you enough knowledge to ask more detailed ones.

Very nice picture of the nuts and bolts by the way... we can never get enough photos of construction equipment here on the loading forum.

Don't tell anyone on the outpost you've been over here, you'll be ostracized... not only that they won't let you back in.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
11-15-2010, 20:58
Looks like he even tied a extra turret ratchet to the press for you. You can definately load some ammo on that setup. If you got some brass I would bolt that thing down, and start sizing some cases just to get a feel for how it works. Then you need to decide how you are going to prime. They make a nice addition called a "safety prime" for the LCT. I don't know if it fits a older 3 hole turret like you got. Otherwise you will need to feed primers by hand (that would be very slow) or do it off the press (that adds a step). You got a good powder measure to test out. Just make 100% sure its throwing consistent charges. Download all the instructions from the Lee website. That will help you a lot. Read the Lyman manual as well. That will give you the overview you need. Just ignore everything they say about cleaning primer pockets for pistol. You don't need to do that with pistol at all. Good luck.

shotgunred
11-15-2010, 21:03
Then you need to decide how you are going to prime.
On the first photo in the bottom left hand corner is the old primer bar. You manually put a primer in it and push it forward when you want to install a primer.

Its a boat anchor but that is just my opinion. But it will work.

Boxerglocker
11-15-2010, 21:10
All good advice given here so far...

Looks like you have the makings of being able to reload some decent quality ammo. I say take a peice of steel wool and WD-40 clean the light rust off that thing, clean the dies with some break cleaner. Put a fresh coat of oil on the ram, bolt her down and load away.

Zombie Steve
11-15-2010, 22:26
Don't tell anyone on the outpost you've been over here, you'll be ostracized... not only that they won't let you back in.

Jack

Too late.

xdmikey
11-16-2010, 18:52
i came from lee; not a bad way to start; the price when new was good; i'd imagine your price was excellent.

good advice given here.

i still used my lee for rifle rounds after i got my lnl but before i got comfortable w/it(lnl).

i never used the primer set up on the press. i just did it in stages w/hand primer: 100 primers=half hour sitcom and hand massage!
i'd had my lnl in use for a year before i started priming on the press.

feel free to pm w/quesions.

geofri
11-16-2010, 19:47
You have a three hole lee turret press. You can upgrade it to a four hole for a little money.
Lee still sells a newer version of it.

Oh, cool. I'm all for crankin em out faster. I'll look into the upgrade.

Read the first few chapters of the Lyman manual, it'll answer a great many of your questions and give you enough knowledge to ask more detailed ones.

Very nice picture of the nuts and bolts by the way... we can never get enough photos of construction equipment here on the loading forum.

Jack

Thanks Jack, I'm hoping I'll have some Lyman reading time tomorrow evening.

I think that is my problem, I don't even know what to ask about yet.

Very nice picture of the nuts and bolts by the way...

Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v196/Shadowfox83/joker1.jpg

Looks like he even tied a extra turret ratchet to the press for you. You can definately load some ammo on that setup. If you got some brass I would bolt that thing down, and start sizing some cases just to get a feel for how it works. Then you need to decide how you are going to prime. They make a nice addition called a "safety prime" for the LCT. I don't know if it fits a older 3 hole turret like you got. Otherwise you will need to feed primers by hand (that would be very slow) or do it off the press (that adds a step). You got a good powder measure to test out. Just make 100% sure its throwing consistent charges. Download all the instructions from the Lee website. That will help you a lot. Read the Lyman manual as well. That will give you the overview you need. Just ignore everything they say about cleaning primer pockets for pistol. You don't need to do that with pistol at all. Good luck.

Thanks,

I've been saving up brass for a while now(just 30-30, and 9mm), guess its enough to get started?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3661.jpg
( Is it correct that you can't reload steel case ammo? I figured I'd keep it anyway.. just trying to think of a use for it)

On the first photo in the bottom left hand corner is the old primer bar. You manually put a primer in it and push it forward when you want to install a primer.

Its a boat anchor but that is just my opinion. But it will work.

Ahh. So that's what that is..

All good advice given here so far...

Looks like you have the makings of being able to reload some decent quality ammo. I say take a peice of steel wool and WD-40 clean the light rust off that thing, clean the dies with some break cleaner. Put a fresh coat of oil on the ram, bolt her down and load away.

Sounds good, i'll give it a good shinning up. I'm scrounging around for some good lumber to make a reloading bench this weekend too.

Too late.
:embarassed:

I came from lee; not a bad way to start; the price when new was good; i'd imagine your price was excellent.

good advice given here.

i still used my lee for rifle rounds after i got my lnl but before i got comfortable w/it(lnl).

i never used the primer set up on the press. i just did it in stages w/hand primer: 100 primers=half hour sitcom and hand massage!
i'd had my lnl in use for a year before i started priming on the press.

feel free to pm w/quesions.
:rofl:

Thanks, appreciate the offer!

GioaJack
11-16-2010, 20:05

I'm never serious, life's too damn short. Welcome aboard.

Toss the steel, it's worthless for loading. The 30-30 is a good keep, if you run low on 9mm it's cheap, around $25 per thousand... although real men shoot .45.

Get your reading done, you'll feel much more comfortable about asking questions.

There's a bunch of threads about building benches, take a look at those to get some ideas then you can figure out what's going to fit your individual needs.

The most important thing of all... everyone here will offer you advice, I'm the only one who will tell you the truth. :whistling:

Jack

VN350X10
11-16-2010, 20:08
Jack is one of our BEST used car salesmen here on GT......

uncle albert

geofri
11-16-2010, 20:39

I'm never serious, life's too damn short. Welcome aboard.

Toss the steel, it's worthless for loading. The 30-30 is a good keep, if you run low on 9mm it's cheap, around $25 per thousand... although real men shoot .45.

Get your reading done, you'll feel much more comfortable about asking questions.

There's a bunch of threads about building benches, take a look at those to get some ideas then you can figure out what's going to fit your individual needs.

The most important thing of all... everyone here will offer you advice, I'm the only one who will tell you the truth. :whistling:

Jack
:rofl::rofl:

I decided to stick with 9mm, until I learned to reload.

My manhood may be restored in the near future.

Ill check for those bench threads too.

Jack is one of our BEST used car salesmen here on GT......

uncle albert
:rofl:

FLSlim
11-17-2010, 11:40
Jack WILL tell you the truth. Just sort out the humor (always appreciated) and BS (the guy is hopeless), and there you will find the truth (or something close to it). Come around often to the reload threads in this forum, you'll enjoy the reads and learn a bunch in the process.

dudel
11-18-2010, 17:22
( Is it correct that you can't reload steel case ammo? I figured I'd keep it anyway.. just trying to think of a use for it)

Good news, there are uses for the steel cases.

1) If the neck tension is good, stick a projectile in it, seat it to the desired OAL, and use that as your dummy round to set up your dies (if you don't have a toolhead).

2) Same thing to set the expander die.

3) Seat a primer in it backwards, and use to set an expanding powder dump.

4) Solder a wire to it, cut it as needed to make powder dippers.

5) I've not tried this, but I know some who have. Decap the case (Universal decapper works great here). Put a plug of silicone sealer in the primer pocket. Let it dry. Use it as a snap cap when dry firing.

6) I've seen them turned into key rings.

Now if someone can come up for a use for several thousands of spent primers, I'd be happy.

Colorado4Wheel
11-18-2010, 19:06

1) If the neck tension is good, stick a projectile in it, seat it to the desired OAL, and use that as your dummy round to set up your dies (if you don't have a toolhead).

5) I've not tried this, but I know some who have. Decap the case (Universal decapper works great here). Put a plug of silicone sealer in the primer pocket. Let it dry. Use it as a snap cap when dry firing.

Now if someone can come up for a use for several thousands of spent primers, I'd be happy.

Great ideas. I have done that to make my own snap caps. Works great.

I

geofri
11-20-2010, 14:29
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/andygeofri/IMG_3686.jpg
Think this will do for now?

A little late to ask, but I hate halting progress to ask about minor details when I'm rolling along.

A little rough on the eyes, but I made it all from wood I scrounged up, and all of it was already used at least a few times over before:rofl: (picked up the counter top at a garage sale years ago.)

Jack WILL tell you the truth. Just sort out the humor (always appreciated) and BS (the guy is hopeless), and there you will find the truth (or something close to it). Come around often to the reload threads in this forum, you'll enjoy the reads and learn a bunch in the process.

Yea, I can tell jack is a good guy.

Or at least pretends to be...:supergrin:

what about packin em full of flas power to make mini grenades? :supergrin:

Cool ideas though. May have to try a few of those snap-caps!

GioaJack
11-20-2010, 14:42
Ahhhhhh... that table brings back memories. When I was a young teenager growing up in Ft. Lauderdale I worked on a fishing pier cutting bait on a table that looked just like that.

Having been raised with the concept that you have to pay your dues in life I naturally started my career as an Apprentice Baiter. However, being a quick study and smarter than the average bear I quickly became a Master Baiter. Such fond memories.

As for your loading bench... yes, it will suffice without problem as long as it's sturdy enough not to move while the press is in operation. If it does rock or move in anyway either secure the back legs, you do call those legs don't you, or the bottom of the legs to the floor. Do what ever it takes to keep it from moving.

I thought you were a carpenter? If my assumption is correct may I suggest you leave this particular photo out of your album of creative accomplishments. :whistling:

Good luck... don't blow yourself up.

Jack

geofri
11-20-2010, 15:04
Having been raised with the concept that you have to pay your dues in life I naturally started my career as an Apprentice Baiter. However, being a quick study and smarter than the average bear I quickly became a Master Baiter. Such fond memories.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y339/roadtrip20100/master.jpg

geofri
11-21-2010, 08:39
Jack WILL tell you the truth. Just sort out the[...]BS (the guy is hopeless)[...]

Ahhhhhh... that table brings back memories. When I was a young teenager growing up in Ft. Lauderdale I worked on a fishing pier cutting bait on a table that looked just like that.

Having been raised with the concept that you have to pay your dues in life I naturally started my career as an Apprentice[...]

...I hate to encourage you Jack, but that was well written. :rofl: I didn't even see it coming until it was too late..:whistling: