How hard to install a knoxx folder? Mossberg porting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How hard to install a knoxx folder? Mossberg porting?

alfred10
11-15-2010, 23:37
I bought a 590A1 today! I want to add a folder and noticed that mine is ported. Is this good or bad? Will it blind me more at night or make in more controlable?

How hard is it to add a knoxx folder and is the knoxx the strongest folder out there?

MrMurphy
11-16-2010, 00:29
Apparently the location of the Mossberg safety has escaped you.

Boxerglocker
11-16-2010, 15:52
Apparently the location of the Mossberg safety has escaped you.

Tend to agree... when deciding on which model to go with. The mounting of a Knoxx was one of my primary concerns that it would be as ergonomic as possible. Steered me to the 870... as it turned out the Knoxx is not really a real want for me anymore. Nice to still have a viable option though.

alfred10
11-18-2010, 19:23
Tend to agree... when deciding on which model to go with. The mounting of a Knoxx was one of my primary concerns that it would be as ergonomic as possible. Steered me to the 870... as it turned out the Knoxx is not really a real want for me anymore. Nice to still have a viable option though.

How does the safety make a difference? I hate the 870 b/c the feed bars are solid and it jams when short stroked where as the mossberg drops the shell on the floor. The 590A1 is built tougher than an 870 I ever handeled. You could prob use the safety with the stock folded?

Boxerglocker
11-18-2010, 21:00
Mossberg you need to remove your hand from either forearm or pistol grip with the Knoxx installed, not the case with either the Knoxx, OEM or any other stock for that matter on a 870.Also on a Mossberg the action release is obsured, with the installation of a Knoxx.
In stock confirguration the 2 are comparable to me. I have no favorites other than when deciding on the two prior to purchase I was thinking of setting it up Tactical with a Knoxx.
Your opinon that the Mossberg is tougher is just that your opinon, duly noted. However, your short stroke issue is a matter of technique not design is it not? I have trained myself to rack my 870 hard and completely as decribed by Aippi's website and further by a personal shotgun shooting coach. I have yet to experience the jam you are describing.

twag4
11-18-2010, 23:19
I have the folder, and I can reach the safety without any problem. I am right handed, my thumb slides up the right side of the receiver and moves the safety. I usually slide the safety off immediately when I pick it up with intent to fire.(at the range or in the house) I dont usually keep one in the chamber, but I cycle the action and shoot. I like the idea of the warning sound of the action should a home defense situation ever present itself. Muzzle up, cycle action, then patrol the house. I know where everyone in my family sleeps, I just have to make sure it isnt them that I am searching for, know my target and beyone. If someone breaks into my room when I am asleep, they already have the jump on me. That and they would have to go through a third floor window or climb two flights of stairs within my house. Anyway, I can easily reach the safety. Just practice the way you are gonna play. To the OP, a normal socket will take off the OEM stock, and an allen wrench puts the Knoxx folder on. I believe mine came with one if memory serves me correctly. I used a T handle allen wrench for mine though.

MrMurphy
11-19-2010, 02:10
Blaming weapon design for operator headspacing issues is the mark of a fool. But wait, it's Alfred10, so what was I thinking.......

Boxerglocker
11-19-2010, 12:08
I have the folder, and I can reach the safety without any problem. I am right handed, my thumb slides up the right side of the receiver and moves the safety. I usually slide the safety off immediately when I pick it up with intent to fire.(at the range or in the house) I dont usually keep one in the chamber, but I cycle the action and shoot. I like the idea of the warning sound of the action should a home defense situation ever present itself. Muzzle up, cycle action, then patrol the house. I know where everyone in my family sleeps, I just have to make sure it isnt them that I am searching for, know my target and beyone. If someone breaks into my room when I am asleep, they already have the jump on me. That and they would have to go through a third floor window or climb two flights of stairs within my house. Anyway, I can easily reach the safety. Just practice the way you are gonna play. To the OP, a normal socket will take off the OEM stock, and an allen wrench puts the Knoxx folder on. I believe mine came with one if memory serves me correctly. I used a T handle allen wrench for mine though.

I realise the ergonomics may work for some but not for me... my buddy has a Mossberg with a Knoxx. Shooting his got me interested in getting my own. Same time made me think of going with the 870 cause of those Knoxx set-up issues with the safety and action release. I've taken one formal class, with mine and will be taking more early next year. If I had gone with a Knoxx, I wouldn't want the issues that I could see possibly me having with it. If it works for you great, I just see the disadvantage for myself.

twag4
11-20-2010, 00:33
(twag4)"my thumb slides up the right side of the receiver and moves the safety."

Please let me set the record straight, I meant my right index finger slides up and slides the safety. What can I say, it was a long day. Also to the OP, I found the original wrench that Knoxx supplied with the stock. I thought they included one with it. Very long ball end allen wrench, but my t handles work great.