Which MS OS for new PC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which MS OS for new PC

jeffd
11-16-2010, 09:21
For best stability, security, and access is Windows 7 Pro that much better than Home Premium? I want to dabble in remote access, home neteworking, etc. Not ready to tackle Linux. Do I give up anything that Home has if I go to Pro?

IndyGunFreak
11-16-2010, 09:46
Pro should have everything Home does, plus some. At least that makes sense, I can't imagine a more expensive OS, being less capable, than the cheaper one .... (no, I'm not going to make a Linux/Windows comparison here.. but it was wide open.. ;) )

IGF

Swiper
11-16-2010, 10:07
Just go for Windows 7 64bit Home Edition. Yes, the Pro has some extra functions useful for business operations but for what you need the Home Edition is good enough and a lot cheaper.

IndyGunFreak
11-16-2010, 14:10
TightVNC is an awesome remote desktop package for Windows. The server runs easily(so others can browse your desktop if you want them to) the Viewer also works very well(so you can view others).

No need to go Pro if that's your big issue.

Another thing you can try, is "Teamviewer". I use it as a last resort in Linux support. Sometimes new users just can't explain a problem well, or they are confused, etc. and they don't know how to open ports on their router to allow a remote connection. TeamViewer handles all this w/ no configuring at all. It's free for personal, noncommercial use.

http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx

IGF

jpa
11-16-2010, 15:03
XP pro.

Verrater
11-17-2010, 02:44
Get the home edition. The things that pro offers over home is not worth it at all. There are much better free programs to do the same things if you want them.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

Pierre!
11-18-2010, 00:23
Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack is Back...

Runs about $44 per copy when you buy the 3 pack.

Don't know if that helps ya out, but here is a link:

Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (http://su.pr/27Ah7C)

Word on the street says they will be pulling this soon like they did last year...

HTH

MavsX
11-18-2010, 06:24
build or buy a nice windows 7 rig...then you can run linux in a virtual machine for free. kill 2 birds with 1 stone.....genius!

anxietycoachjohn
11-26-2010, 09:54
Windows 7 Makes the things you do every day easier with improved desktop navigation. Faster and easier to launch applications and find the documents you use most often. Make your web experience faster, easier, and safer than ever with Internet Explorer 8. Easy to create a home network and connect your PCs to a printer with HomeGroup. Watch many of your favorite TV shows for free when and where you want with Internet TV, are the tasks enumerated by Microsoft that can be performed by all three editions. :wavey:

Pierre!
11-26-2010, 11:42
As long as you won't be trying to use 'Domain' based security or connecting to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) you should be good to go with the Home version.

Seems to me that some of the drive encryption also isn't available in the Home editions...

But for SOHO (Small Office Home Office) use it is probably just fine.

HTH

tous
11-26-2010, 16:45
Basically, Windows 7 Home Premium Edition does not have the feature to run older applications with XP-emulation, you can backup and restore only to a local drive and the Home version cannot join a Windows domain.

Home Premium has Remote Desktop.

The Bitlocker (drive encryption) feature is only in Ultimate, I believe.