Interesting observation I made last night [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation I made last night

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-16-2010, 08:25
I was playing with my Ed Brown and Custom Shop Springfield last night... I have been contemplating using my Brown as a carry gun instead of my Beretta 92 (I've decided to continue sticking with the Beretta for now after a week of pondering)....

Anyway, grip safeties are obviously a little different from brand to brand. Ed brown claims that his is made in such a way to make the gun sit lower in the hand compared to many other brands...

Well, I noticed that when I compare my two - the trigger on the Brown seems to be a bit closer (to the rear of the gun) than it is on my Custom Springer... I can get more trigger finger on the Brown than I can the Springfield - if I try.

However, when you hold a 1911 in the ready position, and ya keep your finger off the trigger and up against the frame... I noticed that it's easier for me to drop my trigger finger down into the exact position I want with my Springer. The trigger is a little further away, but it translates into the perfect position for me with my hand size.

On the Brown - when I drop my trigger finger down into the trigger finger, it's a little harder to quickly put my finger into the position I want it to be, as opposed to where it naturally sits on the trigger, due to the reach being a little shorter...

I know... no big deal.. But just an observation I made last night after having the 2 guns over a year now...

Quack
11-16-2010, 09:55
2 words... flat trigger

ArmoryDoc
Additionally, finger position can be affected by the grip safety and an undercut trigger guard. Check them side-by-side and see if the grip safeties are the same and see if one is undercut vs. not. Both can affect the position of the hand on the frame which can translate to trigger purchase.

ArmoryDoc
2 words... flat trigger

Oh my... :rofl:

bac1023
11-16-2010, 10:03
2 words... flat trigger

:rofl::rofl:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-16-2010, 10:26
Additionally, finger position can be affected by the grip safety and an undercut trigger guard. Check them side-by-side and see if the grip safeties are the same and see if one is undercut vs. not. Both can affect the position of the hand on the frame which can translate to trigger purchase.

The grip safeties are different. I think that is what created the difference in length from the rear of the gun to the trigger. The two guns sit slightly different in your hand when holding them because of the grip safeties. That was really what my observation was about.

The Springfield one looks to make the grip just a little thicker, front to back. yet, in doing this, it actually works to my advantage with the size of my hand and fingers.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-16-2010, 10:27
2 words... flat trigger

One of these days, I will try one...

knedrgr
11-16-2010, 11:22
2 words... flat trigger

+1.

Consistent trigger placement is a huge advantage for the flat trigger. I'm sure the BG's not going to mind the "ugly" trigger when they're looking at the muzzle of my 1911. :supergrin:

ArmoryDoc
11-16-2010, 11:52
+1.

I'm sure the BG's not going to mind the "ugly" trigger when they're looking at the muzzle of my 1911. :supergrin:

If I was that bad guy I would sue you for inducing battle trauma. :rofl:

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
11-16-2010, 12:23
+1.

Consistent trigger placement is a huge advantage for the flat trigger. I'm sure the BG's not going to mind the "ugly" trigger when they're looking at the muzzle of my 1911. :supergrin:

Well, even with a flat trigger on both of my guns - this would still be the same issue because of the distance from the grip to the trigger (because of the grip safety).

Anyway, it's not really an "issue" - just an observation. If I was going to carry one of these, the Custom Springer would work better for me, I think.... Although, I bought that gun to be a range toy, so I have no plans to carry it.

PlasticGuy
11-16-2010, 12:29
2 words... flat trigger
4 words... looks bad, feels worse :whistling:

bac1023
11-16-2010, 12:47
4 words... looks bad, feels worse :whistling:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: