Sig P238 report [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig P238 report

GlockLieber
11-16-2010, 12:44
I posted this on Sigforum.com as well but thought I'd share my report on this forum.

Just purchased a Sig P238 with the rosewood grips. I've owned a Keltec .32 and .380, Ruger LCP, Kahr .380 and a North American Arms .32 and for me, this is the best pocket pistol I've ever shot. I put 250 rounds of ball ammo and 100 rounds of Hornady Critical defense through it without a single malfunction. I can shoot this gun as well as some of my full size guns. Maybe it's the excellent sights and the single action trigger, but it's extremely accurate and the recoil is much less compared to the others I've owned. My most recent pocket pistol was the LCP and the P238 is hands down a better shooter. Although accurate with the Crimson Trace Laser, I never could get used to the trigger with the LCP and the recoil was harsh for a .380 and I never felt comfortable carrying it so I sold it after shooting the P238. I'm surprised that there have been so many negative reports on the P238, but this gun is a keeper and will be my primary pocket carry gun. I highly recommend this gun for those of you who have had as difficult a time as I've had shooting these small guns. Another plus for this gun is my wife can retract the slide and operate the controls easily. She always had problems with semi-autos so she's getting one as well.

Buffdragon
11-16-2010, 15:25
I concur. I just shot mine this past weekend for the first time (its about 2 weeks old). ran 100rds of blazer brass thru basically as fast as I could reload a mag and squeeze'em off again.
ran perfectly.

mine's shooting a little to the right, but that's nothing a little drifting wont solve ;)

Cobra64
11-16-2010, 18:30
I posted this on Sigforum.com as well but thought I'd share my report on this forum.

Just purchased a Sig P238 with the rosewood grips. I've owned a Keltec .32 and .380, Ruger LCP, Kahr .380 and a North American Arms .32 and for me, this is the best pocket pistol I've ever shot. I put 250 rounds of ball ammo and 100 rounds of Hornady Critical defense through it without a single malfunction. I can shoot this gun as well as some of my full size guns. Maybe it's the excellent sights and the single action trigger, but it's extremely accurate and the recoil is much less compared to the others I've owned. My most recent pocket pistol was the LCP and the P238 is hands down a better shooter. Although accurate with the Crimson Trace Laser, I never could get used to the trigger with the LCP and the recoil was harsh for a .380 and I never felt comfortable carrying it so I sold it after shooting the P238. I'm surprised that there have been so many negative reports on the P238, but this gun is a keeper and will be my primary pocket carry gun. I highly recommend this gun for those of you who have had as difficult a time as I've had shooting these small guns. Another plus for this gun is my wife can retract the slide and operate the controls easily. She always had problems with semi-autos so she's getting one as well.

Congrats! :cool:

Good to hear it's working well for you.

airflyer
11-17-2010, 08:05
Awesome saw alot of them sold at last gun show , here in Iowa due to new ccw changes

Warhorse
11-17-2010, 08:20
Congrats!

Glad to hear that some run well.

2glock40s
11-22-2010, 05:49
I bought one about a year ago and had to send it in to Sig. There was a burr on the feed ramp and I had a sticky mag. Sig had it about 10 days and then sent it back good as new. Test fired a couple of magazines with ball, Golden Saber, Federal low recoil and Speer. So far so good. Cleaned it last night and noticed another burr on the lower right corner of the feed ramp. Looks to me that as the barrel moves down and to the rear after firing it is slamming into the front right corner of the magazine causing the burr. I only have maybe 120 or so rounds through it and only about 25 or 30 since I got it back. I'm hoping the burr won't become problematic. I really like the gun and hope that once it gets good and broken in that it will run as good as my 229.

bac1023
11-24-2010, 22:15
Glad you like it.

Congrats

CranialCrusader
11-28-2010, 20:22
If you don't mind saying, how much did it cost you? Here in the Houston area I'm finding the same gun (with rosewood grips) for $630 and $660 + tax!!! Seems a little high to me?

Thanks,
CranialCrusader

GlockLieber
11-28-2010, 20:42
I think I paid around $550. I bought it from sporting arms.com here in Dallas. They usually have one the best prices in the area so I buy all of my guns from them.

southernshooter
12-14-2010, 15:21
I really want one but have read about some "issues". See them for $550 for the least expensive ones. Just waiting for any issues to be resolved for sure.

rfd339
12-19-2010, 02:18
Congrats on the p238 GlockLieber and Buffdragon . Glad to see Sig getting the kinks worked out of the p238. I still like the 230/232 better due to they fit my hand better.

g27_mengi
12-21-2010, 16:23
For the first time in many years, I 'defected' from the Brethren of Glock today and bought a P238.

While I currently carry a G36, I went trolling for something smaller. A G26 was on the radar, but I really truly wanted something...smaller for carrying on the job. So, without disclosing too much about that (the job), I was shown the P238 at a shop today and thought, Sig? Hey, gotta be good.

Then I came home and read all the fear and loathing on the Interwebz about the P238. Dang. Foiled again!

What I've ascertained in the couple hours of skimming the Interwebz is that Sig (like a lot of Big Gun Brands) rushed a model to market and some bad eggs were found. Seems to be prevalent in the early builds, and with the HD model (again, people...this ain't research—I was skimming!)

I might be lucky, in that my P238 (all black Nitron model) was manufactured October 15th, 2010. For now, I've shoved it in an IWB holster to start molding the holster to the gun, and I'm looking forward to some range time. Will follow up if anyone's interested.

[Just to reiterate the point: weird to not buy a Glock. First non-Glock pistol purchase since...1992?

CranialCrusader
12-22-2010, 17:58
I'm looking forward to some range time. Will follow up if anyone's interested.
?

Yeah I'd like to know how it goes.

My wife and I rented one at the local range. We didn't have a single malfunction with it in 50 rounds of S&B ammo.

It is not an easy gun to shoot though. Took me a few rounds to get a decent grouping. My wife never hit what she was aiming at (I let her shoot most), but she didn't find the recoil too bad.

We are hoping they have a PPK for next time.

CranialCrusader