how can I keep the mag extension on my 870 from loosening??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how can I keep the mag extension on my 870 from loosening???

BCSO
11-16-2010, 22:21
It is really annoying!!!! every few shots, I have to tighten up the mag tube, dosent matter how tight I make it initially.

-should I get a non extension cap??? will that loosen???

-does the mossberg 500 do this??? if no...then ill get on.

this is seriously lame!!!!!

Love the gun, just cant stand having to constantly keep aneye on this, as the mag loosens, the barrel loosens and the gun gets will rattle until I stop to try to fix it.

this is a real problem in the shotty comps.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

thanks!

method
11-16-2010, 22:49
Just get a barrel clamp.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=shotgun%20barrel%20clamp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

BCSO
11-16-2010, 22:53
will one of those work better than the one it came with?

glock_19guy1983
11-16-2010, 22:57
a dab of blue locktite should do.

jamaicanj
11-17-2010, 06:15
It's time for the loctite

f150man
11-17-2010, 07:43
+1 on the loctite. I use it for a lot of things. Very handy.

BCSO
11-17-2010, 08:38
loctight it is then. Ill grab some on the way home. thanks guys!

NYcarry
11-17-2010, 09:11
Make sure its the Blue ;0

toshbar
11-17-2010, 11:20
One blip with a mig welder does the trick.

BCSO
11-17-2010, 16:31
One blip with a mig welder does the trick.

I just mig welded it on....but I just realized...how am i going to replace the spring now???:shocked:

toshbar
11-17-2010, 17:07
You should have just done a tack blip. That way you could have ground it off.

I hope you didn't burn around the entire perimeter.

aippi
11-17-2010, 17:43
Good grief, You can't take the barrel off if you welded the mag tube extension on. How the heck are you going to clean your weapon? The tube extension on the Remington, if that is what the OP has is a two priece tube. The mag tube coupling has to go on first. If you braised that to the mag tube, well, I don't think anyone would do that, but then again?????????????

If the mag tube coupling is comming loose I am guessing you installed it with a barrel that does not have a detent ball, or the detent ball is stuck down in the channel. If you do not have a detent ball in your barrel ring there is nothing to hold the mag tube tube coupling and it will keep comming loose. You can use a small drop of blue loc-tite as a temp fix, or go to www.brownells.com (http://www.brownells.com) and in the search block enter "Wave Washer. You will get three for around 6 dollars. Install the barrel, slip the wave washer over the mag tube and then screw on the mag tube coupling. No finish the install.

BCSO
11-17-2010, 17:52
I didnt really weld it on haha!!!!!

toshbar
11-18-2010, 00:08
I didn't think so....

:phew:

aippi
11-18-2010, 11:34
Did you check your barrel for the detent ball. If you installed the tube extesnison on a barrel that is not made for it then you have your problem? Let us know if this is the case.

The issue you are bringing up is not an issue with the 870 when installed properly. It is a problem when people do things they don't how to do.

greyeyezz
11-18-2010, 12:37
I always crank mine down with a rag and channel locks and remove the same. They don't loosen anymore. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not, but I can't see any harm if I use moderate tightening.

BCSO
11-18-2010, 19:01
Did you check your barrel for the detent ball. If you installed the tube extesnison on a barrel that is not made for it then you have your problem? Let us know if this is the case.

The issue you are bringing up is not an issue with the 870 when installed properly. It is a problem when people do things they don't how to do.

well I bought the gun brand new off the shelf, I didnt install anything and its been doing it since I got it.

aippi
11-18-2010, 20:17
OK then. Never fire a weapon that you buy new or used without breaking it down and cleaning it first. Not safe, not smart and just not a good thing to do. You can resolve this simply by going to www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) and click on the red link "Install and cleaning. Break the weapon down, you have been shooting it at, according to you at shotgun competitions and stuff so I think it needs it. After a good cleaning put it back together and follow my install instuctions when installing the tube extension kit. Your issue is over. Call if there is any problem with installing the tube or with any questions about cleaning and reassebly. I would be glad to talk you through it.

I might add that there is a 4+1 shot verison of you weapon and since it does not come with a tube extension the barrel for that model does not have the detent ball in the barrel ring. I have received a couple of the 6+1 models over the years that had the 4+1 model barrel on it. So check to make sure your barrel has a detent ball in the barrel ring as that is what hold your tube extension or mag cap in place.

BCSO
11-18-2010, 22:15
Thank you very much aippi!!!!

I have taken the gun apart and cleaned/lubed it, but ill check your site, I must be doing something wrong.

BCSO
11-18-2010, 22:37
OK BREAKTHROUGH HERE!!!!!.....

ok, here is an issue.....the issue I would imagine. When I install the barrel, and screw down the bagazin tube/ coupling, the threads reach the end.

at this point, I can see light between the coupler and the ring on the barrel that holds it on the magazine.

the detent ball is not in contact with the bottom of the threaded coupler thing, however, I never noticed the loosness in the barrel before...

ok, what am I dont wrong at this point?

its like the meat of the threads are bottoming out before the extension can come in contact with the detent ball

sambeaux2249
11-18-2010, 23:07
OK BREAKTHROUGH HERE!!!!!.....

ok, here is an issue.....the issue I would imagine. When I install the barrel, and screw down the bagazin tube/ coupling, the threads reach the end.

at this point, I can see light between the coupler and the ring on the barrel that holds it on the magazine.

the detent ball is not in contact with the bottom of the threaded coupler thing, however, I never noticed the loosness in the barrel before...

ok, what am I dont wrong at this point?

its like the meat of the threads are bottoming out before the extension can come in contact with the detent ball

The Remington magazine extension is a two part extension. Unscrew the mag tube from the mag tube coupler. Your mag tube extension is probably threaded too far down into the coupler. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Sam

BCSO
11-18-2010, 23:32
The Remington magazine extension is a two part extension. Unscrew the mag tube from the mag tube coupler. Your mag tube extension is probably threaded too far down into the coupler. Good luck. I hope this helps.

Sam

yeah, ive been trying for the past half hour, that thing is stuck tight...

Blast
11-19-2010, 02:25
I always crank mine down with a rag and channel locks and remove the same. They don't loosen anymore. Is it the right thing to do? Probably not, but I can't see any harm if I use moderate tightening.
Over tightening will fatigue the threads and will eventually strip them.
Loctite is way to go.

http://makedrums.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/loctite-thread-locker-blue.png

BCSO
11-19-2010, 08:31
th threads definatly are not stripped.

toshbar
11-19-2010, 10:55
Have you guys ever tasted loctite? It's extremely sweet. just a dab on the end of your finger and touch it to your tongue.

aippi
11-19-2010, 15:29
This is most likely the issue. Break the weapon down. Measure the mag tube from the edge of the receiver to the end. It should be 11.5". I have had them to long and the result is exactly what you are describing. this is not a repair job and the weapon will have to go back. So meassure and if it is over 11.5" use the warranty. They will have to take the weapon back and replace the mag tube. Cutting it down is not a good idea as you loose threads so ignor that if someone post in to do that. Do not "Bubba Up" a new weapon. Use the Warranty.

You can get by with a little short, say 11 and 3/8 but to long allows the mag tube coupling to use all the threads and not reach the barrel ring and since all the threads are used there are not enough threads for the tube extension to screw into the mag tube coupling.

xm21
11-19-2010, 20:51
Those wave washers aippi recommended work well for 870's that have mag caps that loosen during use as well.I have come to regard the advice aippi puts on here about the Rem 870 to be among the best I have found on the net or in print.

BCSO
11-19-2010, 21:15
Ok, update!!!

So here is what. I soaked the mag extension/coupler in breakfree overnight. This morning I was able to take the two apart.

I put the barrel on the gun

-tightened don the coupler which made contact with the ball piece on the barrel.

-put the spring in

-screwed down the mag extension

-poppedthe mag extension so my spring wasnt caught int he threads.

everything is seated properly, now I just have to wait til I can shoot it to see if anything comes loose.

Aippi: if this was the short action issue, would I still be able to put it together this way? could this be a simple issue f coupler to high up on the magazine threads?

thanks so much!!!

aippi
11-20-2010, 00:34
I must not be able to read. So the tube was never off the mag tube coupling? If that was the case then yes, that was the problem. The tube was using to many threads. This is why the tube extension installs apart.

You have the resolved the issue now as it is properly installed.

BCSO
11-20-2010, 16:34
I really appreciate all your help Aippi and everybody else. the couple waas on the tube so tight that I couldnt even tell it was 2 parts.

Ebb27
11-26-2010, 16:06
It is really annoying!!!! every few shots, I have to tighten up the mag tube, dosent matter how tight I make it initially.

-should I get a non extension cap??? will that loosen???

-does the mossberg 500 do this??? if no...then ill get on.

this is seriously lame!!!!!

Love the gun, just cant stand having to constantly keep aneye on this, as the mag loosens, the barrel loosens and the gun gets will rattle until I stop to try to fix it.

this is a real problem in the shotty comps.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

thanks!

Mossberg 500s don't use some goofy extension, the mag tube is one piece.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n200/srebough/sg1a.jpg

humanguerrilla
11-26-2010, 16:17
My 870 works fine and stays tight with Wilson combat extension tube and sling loop

aippi
11-26-2010, 20:57
Good point about the Mossberg tube. Only problem is that then you would be one of those guys that own a Mossberg :-)......

Ebb27
11-26-2010, 22:06
Good point about the Mossberg tube. Only problem is that then you would be one of those guys that own a Mossberg :-)......

Yeah but I'm not having troubles with some goofy extension coming loose now am I?

:supergrin:

Acemedic1
11-26-2010, 22:20
I use a rubber strap wrench...

WoodenPlank
11-27-2010, 00:19
:duel:

Yeah but I'm not having troubles with some goofy extension coming loose now am I?

:supergrin:

Not to mention, my Mossberg has an 8+1 capacity from the factory, no goofy extension needed. Plus I dont tear up my fingers loading the magazine on a damned loading gate.

lowes48
12-02-2010, 17:01
Have you guys ever tasted loctite? It's extremely sweet. just a dab on the end of your finger and touch it to your tongue.

Ha! I hate to admit it publicly but I have tasted it too! Must be a North Carolina thing!

aippi
12-02-2010, 20:25
I don't have trouble with an extension coming loose nor does anyone else that installs them correctly. I don't know how many of the over ten million 870's and who know how many 11-87's and 1100's have tube extensions on them. Trying to make an issue out of couple of guys who can't seem to follow directions enough to properly reinstall a tube extenion is a very weak argument to put the model of weapon you prefer over a Remington. So that must be all you have.

BCSO
12-02-2010, 20:38
Aippi,

My friend was having the same issue but when we took his 870 apart, there is like a hang nail piece of metal that is keeping the ball pressed down.

do you think this is a warranty issue, or could this have been done by my buddy?

aippi
12-02-2010, 21:09
I think you are saying the detent ball is being held down by improper staking and yes, that barrel should go back. The ball has to be up and you will hear it wratchet down as you tighten the mag tube coupling. If the weapon is less then two years old contact Remington about the issue to send the barrel in for repair. If not then pushing the detent ball down and trying to get that burr off with a small jewlers file is the option. If that does not do it then taking it to a gun smith to be properly staked is the only option.

BCSO
12-02-2010, 23:21
I think you are saying the detent ball is being held down by improper staking and yes, that barrel should go back. The ball has to be up and you will hear it wratchet down as you tighten the mag tube coupling. If the weapon is less then two years old contact Remington about the issue to send the barrel in for repair. If not then pushing the detent ball down and trying to get that burr off with a small jewlers file is the option. If that does not do it then taking it to a gun smith to be properly staked is the only option.

Yup, you understood perfectly, thanks again. BTW, my unce is looking to buy a nice tactical shotgun in the next month or so and I am sending him your way.