How do you get a 14" barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a 14" barrel?

wrx04
11-17-2010, 20:14
I was just curious about the hoops you have to jump through to get a short barrel shotgun? If i wanted one for my 870, how do i go about doing it? From the little ive read on here, it sounds like you need to pay a $200 fee, but is that it? Does it vary state to state? Is there even a functional difference compared to a 18.5" barrel?

Thanks

Spiffums
11-17-2010, 22:28
You have to do that Form 1 which comes with a tax stamp. I don't know about on GT but over on M4Carbine.net they have a PDF of the NFA rule book.

-gunut-
11-18-2010, 12:46
1. Go to the ATF webpage and order a couple Form 1s, fingerprint cards, and a declaration of citizenship form. It is free and will be mailed to your door.
2. Fill out all forms and have your chief LEO sign off on the form 1 (both copies)
2.5 Attach passport photos to each forms (I used tape IIRC)
3. Get the fingerprints taken care of
4. Mail all the completed forms to the ATF along with a personal check made out for $200

wait...

Once approved:
1. Have someone engrave your name and city/state on the firearm to the required size and depth (which can be googled).
2. Saw away to the length you stated on the form!

Keep the original Form 1 copy in your safe and always carry around a copy. In Oregon, you can arrested if you do not carry a copy, but in the "defense" section is says that you will not be prosecuted if it is in fact legal. Don't risk the ride! Always carry a copy around. I have often had cops drive past as I was blasting my full auto UZI but have never been asked to show forms. It does happen from time to time I hear.

-gunut-
11-18-2010, 12:49
It does sound like a lot of work, but once you do it it is fairly easy (probably because the process takes a few months so the work is a little spread out).

Once I am back in the states I will be selling my STG-556 and working on 3 NFA projects. A SBR VZ 61 Skorpion, cutting my 870 barrel down to the end of the magazine tube, and I am going to chop down a Stoeger double bbl shotgun I just purchased.

NFA is addicting! Be careful! :supergrin:

-gunut-
11-18-2010, 12:52
Is there even a functional difference compared to a 18.5" barrel?
Thanks

18" is the federal minimum. 18.5" is often done by private individuals so they don't make it too short. With a 14" barrel your spread will be a little wider, but not by much. You always have the option of threading the barrel for chokes so you can get the spread how you like it. I am chopping mine to the end of the mag tube simply so it is a maneuverable weapon indoors. IIRC the length will be around 10.5-11". With a +1 magazine extension it will be the length of your 14" barrel. I'll check the spread when I cut mine and see if I want to install chokes from there.

DPris
11-18-2010, 13:17
Keep in mind that the barrel wall thickness on an 870 may or may not accommodate threads for chokes.
They can vary.
Another alternative is buying a factory short barrel from Remington, with fixed choke already there.
Denis

-gunut-
11-18-2010, 13:56
Keep in mind that the barrel wall thickness on an 870 may or may not accommodate threads for chokes.
They can vary.
Another alternative is buying a factory short barrel from Remington, with fixed choke already there.
Denis

Ahh, that's good to know!

DPris
11-18-2010, 14:15
When the original Scattergun Tech did my 14-incher, they cut a factory barrel back, eliminating the choke. To remedy that, they precisely machined the inside of the muzzle to accept a modified choke sleeve very tightly fitted & epoxied in place.
If the barrel walls had been thick enough, they would have used a threaded choke approach.

The current Scattergun Tech doesn't address this in cutting barrels down, as far as I know.

Remington sells a 14-inch 870 barrel with modified choke as a drop-in. HAS TO BE USED WITH THE PROPER PAPERWORK!

Denis

A3middie
11-18-2010, 17:55
Tagged....

Scattergun1187
11-21-2010, 08:48
If you do a Living Trust you can by-pass all the fingerprints, and LE signature.
Living Trust is the way to go if you have a LE official that wont sign your paperwork.

8th SPS USAF
11-21-2010, 14:50
Unless you want a stock on it you could buy a AOW with the same bbl,
but only pistol grip. Tax stamp only $5.00. Check your state to see if
SBS are legal. Here in In. we can have anything, but SBS, so I got a AOW.

Good luck

8th

r2kba
11-22-2010, 11:23
Unless you want a stock on it you could buy a AOW with the same bbl,
but only pistol grip. Tax stamp only $5.00. Check your state to see if
SBS are legal. Here in In. we can have anything, but SBS, so I got a AOW.

Good luck

8th

The transfer of the AOW is 5$. If you make the AOW, its $200.00

CAR-AR-M16
11-22-2010, 22:42
When the original Scattergun Tech did my 14-incher, they cut a factory barrel back, eliminating the choke. To remedy that, they precisely machined the inside of the muzzle to accept a modified choke sleeve very tightly fitted & epoxied in place.
If the barrel walls had been thick enough, they would have used a threaded choke approach.

The current Scattergun Tech doesn't address this in cutting barrels down, as far as I know.

Remington sells a 14-inch 870 barrel with modified choke as a drop-in. HAS TO BE USED WITH THE PROPER PAPERWORK!

Denis

I have a Remington factory 14" barrel with Modified choke on my SBS. It is flush with a Wilson/Scattergun 1-Shot Extension.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/CAR-AR-M16/Remington870.jpg

mboylan
11-23-2010, 12:18
Ahh, that's good to know!

But.... if you buy the barrel before you are approved and get your stamp.......and it is on the same property as your receiver; you can end up in the Federal pen with a big cellmate that thinks you're cute.

jimsfinns
11-24-2010, 14:05
You have to check state law, because the barrel could be barred despite the federal statute. here in the people's republic of new york the minimum barrel length for us non-law enforcement personnel is 18 inches

ph12321
11-26-2010, 02:28
I've heard it say, NFA stamps are like potato chips.... you can't have just one!

Nice CAR-AR-M16

Edjk
11-29-2010, 01:53
:winkie: I start with a hacksaw