Has anyone worn out a Wilson ETM yet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone worn out a Wilson ETM yet?

BeckG19
11-19-2010, 21:00
Has anyone worn out a Wilson ETM yet? They have been out for a while.. Has anyone used one up, springs ,followers ? Mine have been good for a couple years of limited use. They are much better than the 47d's IMO.

Thanks!

Quack
11-19-2010, 21:02
nope, not yet.

AZ Husker
11-19-2010, 21:31
I bought three recently on the reviews. So far I'm very happy. Much better than the 47D's. Be aware though, they really only make sense in a magwell gun. They stick way out and the baseplate is shaped so it's not practical in a gun without a well.

MD357
11-19-2010, 22:59
FWIW, when you wear one out, keep in mind that the springs are proprietary. My Wilson 47Ds have been 100% just like my ETMs. Can you get any better than 100%?

okie
11-20-2010, 07:39
I haven't wore one out yet:supergrin:

BeckG19
11-20-2010, 10:34
FWIW, when you wear one out, keep in mind that the springs are proprietary. My Wilson 47Ds have been 100% just like my ETMs. Can you get any better than 100%?

interestings.. all of my 47d's had their springs fail after a year or two of use. thats 100% failure for your comparison.. so the ETMs are welcome.

Agent6-3/8
11-20-2010, 14:05
I bought three recently on the reviews. So far I'm very happy. Much better than the 47D's. Be aware though, they really only make sense in a magwell gun. They stick way out and the baseplate is shaped so it's not practical in a gun without a well.

Thats really my only complaint with them. But the added length is a necessary evil, IMO. I carry the ETM's as reloads, however, I still use a 47D with the low profile base plate in my gun.

MD357
11-21-2010, 23:20
interestings.. all of my 47d's had their springs fail after a year or two of use. thats 100% failure for your comparison.. so the ETMs are welcome.

Which is like saying your tires on your car have a "100% failure" (whatever that means) because they eventually wear down?

Either way, 47ds have a great track record. Not knocking the ETMs, I just don't like the proprietary spring BS.

Spiffums
11-22-2010, 05:00

As the WilsonRep said, so the springs are proprietary, why would you buy wilson springs from someone else?

MD357
11-22-2010, 08:53
As the WilsonRep said, so the springs are proprietary, why would you buy wilson springs from someone else?

You mean why would I buy mag springs from someone else? Because ISMI and Wolf make better springs and they are more available.

BeckG19
11-22-2010, 11:13
Which is like saying your tires on your car have a "100% failure" (whatever that means) because they eventually wear down?

Either way, 47ds have a great track record. Not knocking the ETMs, I just don't like the proprietary spring BS.

You do understand, I'm just trying to find out if the ETM are in fact a much better mag. The proprietary springs are NOT a problem if they don't need to be replaced over the life cycle of the product.

I store my mags loaded for SD for long periods and I'm curious about other peoples experience. I have basic 7 rounders that have been loaded for many years and work great... Just want a 8 rounder to do the same. No way to really test other than time, so I'm looking for input.

Good luck with that tire thing..."100% failure" (whatever that means) because they eventually wear down? "... It means 4/4 47d's have failed within 18 months.. both 7 and 8 rounders... Weak springs when they don't need to be rub me wrong... 7 round mags should last years and do.

AZ Husker
11-22-2010, 12:24
The 47D, like most other 8 round mags, are simply a 7 round mag modified to squish an extra round in. The ETM's have a longer tube and were built specifically for 8 rounds. I agree that the springs in the 47D's were woefully weak and short-lived. Hopefully the new version will correct that issue.

MD357
11-22-2010, 12:35
Good luck with that tire thing..."100% failure" (whatever that means) because they eventually wear down? "... It means 4/4 47d's have failed within 18 months.. both 7 and 8 rounders... Weak springs when they don't need to be rub me wrong... 7 round mags should last years and do.

I guess I'm going to have to spell it out for you. Wilson's springs suck hence your problems with the 47Ds wearing out quickly. I'm not the only one to notice this or say it. The ETMs are having the same wear pattern relative to 47Ds. Don't believe me? Head on over to some of the other forums (non-wilson) and start asking. This is why I don't like them being proprietary..... because ISMI and Wolf are better springs and more readily available.

Both mags are designed well you just have to change out the springs somewhat regularly. (kinda like you have to change your tires when they wear down) If you are looking for a magical mag that will stay loaded and compressed forever without fatiguing the spring then let me know when you find it.

BeckG19
11-22-2010, 13:10
Brother have u worn out an ETM spring?...Yes or No.

gconan
11-22-2010, 14:40
I have worn out one ETM 9mm follower. I also do not like the cut in the body so you can see how many rounds it is loaded with. It lets in a lot of carbon. That being said all my others have lasted quite awhile. I like the magazines, but they are not perfect.

bladeandbarrel
11-22-2010, 22:28
I guess I'm going to have to spell it out for you. Wilson's springs suck hence your problems with the 47Ds wearing out quickly. I'm not the only one to notice this or say it. The ETMs are having the same wear pattern relative to 47Ds. Don't believe me? Head on over to some of the other forums (non-wilson) and start asking. This is why I don't like them being proprietary..... because ISMI and Wolf are better springs and more readily available.

Both mags are designed well you just have to change out the springs somewhat regularly. (kinda like you have to change your tires when they wear down) If you are looking for a magical mag that will stay loaded and compressed forever without fatiguing the spring then let me know when you find it.

Have you ever tried an ETM magazine or do you just like to make believe that you have?:wow:
The spring inside is about a foot long.

MD357
11-22-2010, 23:10
Brother have u worn out an ETM spring?...Yes or No

Nope, not yet. You DO understand that there's a life span on mag springs yes?

Have you ever tried an ETM magazine or do you just like to make believe that you have?:wow:
The spring inside is about a foot long.

I've got 4 or 5 of them, what does the length of the spring have to do with anything I've said? :crazy:

BeckG19
11-23-2010, 10:08
[QUOTE=MD357;16345436]Nope, not yet. You DO understand that there's a life span on mag springs yes?

Yes I "DO"...I'm a spring savant.. A spring engineer... A spring ninja. I have chunks a springs in my stool... Some one has to put those springs in all those consumer products and automobiles. I have placed by design millions of springs into the world products. So noobs can cruise around happy and clueless. I love springs. While you replace your wilson 47d's springs and talk of tire wear...in that same rhetorical car, did you ever think of all those springs under the sheet metal. They last damn near for ever in very harsh enviroments with very high cycle rates ( think valve spring). Sure they do have a life span BUT surely their is some thing better than a 47d's and so far after asking for days on Sig, 1911 and Glock Forums no one has reported a spring failure with ETMs. That is really impressive.:tongueout: I hate happy face people. Are we done with the snarky thing yet? We look to you for the last word. Have a HAppy Thanksgiving, sincerely ( it is just a gun forum).

ambluemax
11-23-2010, 11:59
For what you pay for wilson mags, I was completely disappointed in how quickly the springs wore out (1 competition season). I can get a better product for less with Chip McCormic(2.5 seasons and still going strong)...so wilson has lost my business forever when it comes to mags.

Carrots
11-23-2010, 12:05
Wilson has a lifetime warranty on their mags and will replace them FOC if they crap out unreasonably early.

MD357
11-23-2010, 14:05
Yes I "DO"...I'm a spring savant.. A spring engineer... A spring ninja. I have chunks a springs in my stool... Some one has to put those springs in all those consumer products and automobiles. I have placed by design millions of springs into the world products. So noobs can cruise around happy and clueless. I love springs. While you replace your wilson 47d's springs and talk of tire wear...in that same rhetorical car, did you ever think of all those springs under the sheet metal. They last damn near for ever in very harsh enviroments with very high cycle rates ( think valve spring).

http://velocity.t-nation.com/forum_images/1/7/173a9_ORIG-normal_CocaineRickJames.jpg