Coyote hunters. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Coyote hunters.

NHmike
11-20-2010, 00:21
While driving home tonight, I spotted a Coyote in a field near a road. The other night a family of them howled. They pass thru my yard once and a while. Seems like the Coyote is really making it big in my piece of NH. I mean we have em, but it seems like so many more. I used to call and hunt them alot, before kids. We would get one now and again but hunting em up here in the North East is tough.

Anyone else hunt em? Care to share your equipment list? tactics? Stories?

I don't mean Down there in Texas, or Arizona and Cali where there are Coyotes tripping over Coyotes. I mean people who have to hunt them and work hard for them...

alwaysshootin
11-20-2010, 06:42
Here in Ohio, they are like Whitetail Deer. They're EVERYWHERE! This spring, before the new growth comes in, I'm going to do some rabbit squealing in the foothills of the Appalachians, just to see how many I can take out with the AR.:cool:

NHmike
11-20-2010, 07:54
The simple mouse and rabbit sqeels dont always do it around here. Coyote Vocals is where its at.

Dennis in MA
11-20-2010, 07:59
Careful with them NH Yotes. They are half-wolf, run in far more efficient packs than normal Yotes and will take down just about any household pet you have.

They are not native to this area, so eliminate with prejudice.

GeorgiaGlockMan
11-20-2010, 13:37
I love to hunt coyotes.

I have one more buck on my hit list this year and I will be switching over to the dogs.

I use a FoxPro caller and sometimes a decoy or a white feather hung on tall grass by the caller. I like to use an AR also.

Start out calling very soft. I sit for about 30-60 minutes in each set and move about 1/4 mile or more between sets.

Mornings have been best for me.

Night hunts are entertaining but tough to do by yourself. Don't go with people that are scared of the dark. When they letout hollering right near you, it is a complete rush.

From what I've seen deer hunting this year, my place is once again ripe with coyotes. The clearing work that I did this summer will help with calling at my place since before it was too thick to get much notice before they are on you.

Good Luck.

NHmike
11-21-2010, 08:24
I have shot NH Coyotes that resembel the Gray Wolf in a lot of way. Big, heavy same fur colors.

Foxpro? Nope not for me! Mornings have been best for me. I play a lot of Coyote vocals to create a territory response. They come in harder that way.. barely use decoys. What caliber are you guys using. I have had the .223 go thru them and not slow em down much..

P.s. Night hunting is fun but is a song and dance here in NH

freespirit34
11-21-2010, 08:50
Pretty plentiful here in NC. We use a rabbit call. Usually 22 mag or 270 to put 'em away.

GeorgiaGlockMan
11-21-2010, 11:00
. . . . What caliber are you guys using. I have had the .223 go thru them and not slow em down much..

I like the winchester 62 gr softpoints. On a coyote, the exit holes look exploded.

Good luck!

NHmike
11-21-2010, 11:51
Pretty plentiful here in NC. We use a rabbit call. Usually 22 mag or 270 to put 'em away.

22mag - 270 winchester? that is a difference in choices!

NHmike
11-21-2010, 11:53
I like the winchester 62 gr softpoints. On a coyote, the exit holes look exploded.

Good luck!

I like 39grain Blitzkings for the .204

The .204 is a wicked round!

noway
11-22-2010, 12:01
22mag - 270 winchester? that is a difference in choices!

22mag nowhere near the distance or accuracy of a 270win or energy
270win much heavier bullet ( could be over kill in the varmint family )
22mg rimfire
270 centerfire

A the price difference is slightly more for the 270win but you also have a greater range of ammo choices and can reload it ( 22mag ... if you not familar, can not be reloaded )

If you want a good varminter round get anything that shoots over 3K fps and has a loooooooong range accuracy 300yards plus.

A 22mg would work, but imho would be a close in under 100yard choice and is NOT and ideal yote round and the only person I know use them , are pelt harvester looking to minimize report and then damage on the pelts.

NHmike
11-23-2010, 00:09
I was saying, it was one extreme to the next.

The .204 seems to be a fur friendly round, with the right bullet. .223 is ok and .243 being to big for saving furs. But the are making a comeback up here, I might just buy my liscence and start chasing them again!

noway
11-23-2010, 10:17
I was saying, it was one extreme to the next.

The .204 seems to be a fur friendly round, with the right bullet. .223 is ok and .243 being to big for saving furs. But the are making a comeback up here, I might just buy my liscence and start chasing them again!

If I was building a yote rifle, I would stray away from the 22mag and the 270win and look at a 22-250,223, swift or hornet. Any of these would be better choices for a yote round and even the 204 ruger could be stuck in there.

I still haven't seen that much 204ruger available locally off the shelf.

jtull7
11-23-2010, 12:20
Which would you rather have, boys:

A few harmless coyotes who pretty much stay hidden away by themselves, or

a tsunami of rats, mice, pack rats, ground squirrels, skunks, and other rodent vermin who carry diseases and who can eat through and into everything?

noway
11-23-2010, 14:25

a tsunami of rats, mice, pack rats, ground squirrels, skunks, and other rodent vermin who carry diseases and who can eat through and into everything?

depends

Yotes, kill livestocks and pets, I doubt a pack of rats, skunks or ground squirrel would do the same.

jtull7
11-23-2010, 19:55
noway, where I come from, rats, skunks, and ground squirrels do kill people.

It's called the bubonic plague.

We probably have 30 coyotes within one mile of my house, and I wouldn't harm them for anything.

But, I guess you could say I'm a little super-sensitive on the subject.

jtull7
11-23-2010, 20:01
Just to make sure I am not misunderstood, when I lived in West Texas and spent a lot of time in the country, the Code of the West decreed that one killed every coyote one saw. I probably killed over 50 coyotes before I moved to New Mexico.

But, they don't have the plague in the Texas Panhandle.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/jtull8/scan0028.jpg

noway
11-23-2010, 20:11

We probably have 30 coyotes within one mile of my house, and I wouldn't harm them for anything.

I know you have to be kidding..... bubonic plague & from a varmint, before go on, can you explain or post of one death within the 48states or the other 2 states or 3 if your Obama :upeyes:, related to this plague

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

I would bet that more coyotes have done harm or more damage ( towards life ) than a ground squirrel.

freespirit34
11-23-2010, 20:13
22mag nowhere near the distance or accuracy of a 270win or energy
270win much heavier bullet ( could be over kill in the varmint family )
22mg rimfire
270 centerfire

A the price difference is slightly more for the 270win but you also have a greater range of ammo choices and can reload it ( 22mag ... if you not familar, can not be reloaded )

If you want a good varminter round get anything that shoots over 3K fps and has a loooooooong range accuracy 300yards plus.

A 22mg would work, but imho would be a close in under 100yard choice and is NOT and ideal yote round and the only person I know use them , are pelt harvester looking to minimize report and then damage on the pelts.
No, the 22 mag doesn't have nearly the energy or range of the 270. Most shots here are taken at less than 100 yards (probably closer to 70). The 22 mag is easier for my son to handle and it's a little less expensive to shoot. I have seen them run off into the woods after a 22 mag shot.

NHmike
11-23-2010, 22:25
No, the 22 mag doesn't have nearly the energy or range of the 270. Most shots here are taken at less than 100 yards (probably closer to 70). The 22 mag is easier for my son to handle and it's a little less expensive to shoot. I have seen them run off into the woods after a 22 mag shot.

Hell I had a Dominant Male run off after me shooting it thru the neck and throat with a 55 grain .223 at about 40 yards. I put one up his Butt when he spun around. Two of us blood trailed it for ever. Never found it. :(

NHmike
11-23-2010, 22:29
If I was building a yote rifle, I would stray away from the 22mag and the 270win and look at a 22-250,223, swift or hornet. Any of these would be better choices for a yote round and even the 204 ruger could be stuck in there.

I still haven't seen that much 204ruger available locally off the shelf.

We have plenty .204 here. Ballistically, the .204 and 22.250 are very similar. The .204 burns way less powder and causes less throat erosion. Barrels last longer, but how many people will actually shoot out a barrel?
Maybe P. Dog hunters????

NHmike
11-23-2010, 22:33

We Don't have the "problem" Coyotes around here yet. I stolen cat or Dog here and there. Maybe one ran down a jogging path, but no "cold blood killers" (which coyotes don't thrill kill) I hunt them for the challenge, fast paced excitment...

jtull7
11-24-2010, 18:22
So, noway, did you look at my website?

For anyone else who does not believe that rodents don't cause the bubonic plague in North America, and specifically in Northern New Mexico, please take a few minutes and look at: www.johnandlucinda.com.

And here is a report from the Center for Disease Control on exactly how bubonic plague is transmitted: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/plague/info.htm.

quinnt
11-26-2010, 02:18
Where in NH are you? I'm near Keene, I plan on going out with a rabbit squealer and one of those rabbit tail decoys after deer season.

NHmike
11-26-2010, 15:43
Where in NH are you? I'm near Keene, I plan on going out with a rabbit squealer and one of those rabbit tail decoys after deer season.

I am wayyy out East in Derry. I have all the gear, callers, decoys, camo and stuff.

Ya'll have alot of Coyotes out there!!!

quinnt
11-27-2010, 23:17
Yeah we have quite few out here. I'll be hunting them in Rindge, I'm seeing plenty of coyote sign while deer hunting. We should go hunting sometime. Rindge and Derry are only an hourish apart.

NHmike
11-28-2010, 22:25
I have been out there, beautiful. What kinda hunting you do out there? Thick woods in your face AR type. Or more open area .243 stuff? You got way more open land than we do.

NHmike
11-28-2010, 22:28
Btw: I don't think I am gonna get a permit for the rest of this year. But come the new year I will have one. Feb, is always good, mating season. Coyote vocalizations are your friend. And mine plays them loud and clear.

CanyonMan
11-29-2010, 13:47

Don't forget prairie dogs ! You are most correct about the bubonic plague, especially in N.M and some parts of W. Texas out here as well, and back home in the extreme panhandle of Okla.

I have shot tons of coyotes over years of my life, but like you, NO more. 'Not unless they were in the hen house'. ha. We have lions that will take down a calf on occasion, but in all my years ranching I have 'rarely' had a problem with a coyote on a calf.

The PD's cause far more trouble for us (ranchers) than coyotes do. Just the fact that you "can" loose valuable cattle and even more valuable horses by them stepping in the PD holes and breaking a leg, makes the PD a bigger threat to us than the coyote. Some of our PD towns will cover 100 and more acres in several different places. This is a bunch of holes !

For the sake of the thread here...

When I was shooting them (coyotes) I found that the reminton in 6mm or 243, was plenty good enough and even for good long range shooting. Always served me very well.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/IMG_0067.jpg

The real killers: :supergrin:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/GT%20stuff/IMG_0111.jpg

have fun guys !

CM

quinnt
11-30-2010, 21:22
It's pretty thick where I'm hunting, longest shots are seldom going to be 100 yards. I'd prefer a nice compact brush gun but I'm hunting with a mosin nagant as I'm a college student and funds are limited. Just deer hunting for now, might do some partridge hunting this year after deer season, theres a lot in the woods I'm hunting.

NHmike
12-01-2010, 08:08
It's pretty thick where I'm hunting, longest shots are seldom going to be 100 yards. I'd prefer a nice compact brush gun but I'm hunting with a mosin nagant as I'm a college student and funds are limited. Just deer hunting for now, might do some partridge hunting this year after deer season, theres a lot in the woods I'm hunting.

I used to hunt Partridge, had alot around here but no more. I don't know why, maybe Coyotes or other animals got em.

Fox and Coyote are fun...

GeorgiaGlockMan
12-02-2010, 23:03

Eh - what's good for New Mexico isn't necessarily good for everywhere. Me? I'd rather have the turkey,quail and deer populations that existed at my place five years ago before the coyotes and armadillos moved in.

Michigun
12-05-2010, 17:27
A 1oz Federal Barns Expander 12-gauge 3" sabot seems to work well... ;-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/c1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Michigun/c2.jpg

rfb45colt
12-15-2010, 09:47
Eh - what's good for New Mexico isn't necessarily good for everywhere. Me? I'd rather have the turkey,quail and deer populations that existed at my place five years ago before the coyotes and armadillos moved in.

Ditto. Their population has exploded in my area. 15-20 years ago, it was a rarity to see, or hear them howling. Now I see them almost daily and hear them howling almost every night. They seem to be everywhere. During deer season, we've been seeing more coyotes than deer. They have put a huge dent in our deer population, and they have now grown fond of eating small dogs and cats. If a bunch of rodents survive because I killed the coyote that might've eaten them, that's OK... just more food for the weasels, fishers, pine martens, bobcats, hawks and owls. If they've got plenty of rodents to eat, they might leave the deer fawns, grouse, ducklings, goslings, and turkeys alone.

I've got a friend that traps for them. 5 yrs ago, he caught 6 all winter. Last year he got 28!!! He hasn't gotten better at trapping... been doing it 30+ yrs. There's just that many more yotes to be had.

We use Johnny Stewart wireless Preymaster callers, and depending on terrain and time of year, either AR15s with low powered scopes or full-choked 12ga shotguns with 3" mag lead BB or #4 buck. Black Hills 55gr soft point .223s do the trick for me in my DPMS M3. Very few open fields in my area. Mostly heavy woods, so most shots are 20-75 yds.

The only long shots available are on a frozen lake... which are plentiful here, and a lot of them are surrounded by national or state forest and are unpopulated. Hunting frozen lakes has become one of our favorite tactics for hunting at night in winter. It seems the coyotes like to "cruise" the lakes after dark, looking for dead fish and bait left from ice fisherman. If there's clear skies and a full moon, we're out yote hunting after dark on an unpopulated lake. The snow cover under a full moon makes visibilty excellant. We wear white painters coveralls over warm clothes and just sit motionless on a white 5 gal bucket, while using a howler call. Last year, we shot 4 yotes in one night while sitting in our duck blind on a marsh in a state forest.

Lazy R
12-16-2010, 16:53
.260 Remington worked quite well for my son on this one in northeastern Montana last year.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x87/stever660/Guns/DSCN1703.jpg

kjm1016
12-16-2010, 18:14
You're worried about Bubonic Plague? Did I miss something or did we get transported back into the 14th century? I'm not trying to say the plague does not exist. Clearly it does and it is a rodent based disease as it always was. A case or two per year(in people) does not an epidemic make. But bear in mind if the unlikely happens and you are infected, Bubonic plague can be easily knocked down with common anti-biotics. This isn't the Middle-Ages. You might try remembering that.

jtull7
12-16-2010, 19:28
kjm:

My wife and I had the bubonic plague.

Check out:

www.johnandlucinda.com

Also check out:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5231.pdf

That's me, Bubba.

And, I hope you apologize for your demeaning remarks, Sir.

kjm1016
12-16-2010, 21:44
I took a look at the first web site prior to my post. I didn't realize that was you, so my apologies. My information came from books on the historical epidemics of the 540's AD in the Middle East, and the 1340's-1350's in Europe. Those epidemics killed 25 million and 60 million people respectively. Those books said the disease is incredibly fast acting, often killing victims in only a few days. By that standard you are fortunate to have survived. I'd say thank God for modern medicine! Thanks very much for the second web site. It made things much clearer though I couldn't really follow some of the medical language. I'd say your attitude about shooting rodents rather than coyotes is pretty clear now. I hope things improve for you in the future.

hagar
12-17-2010, 09:43
AZ Game & Fish gave regular presentations to our varmint hunting club, and they always warned us about bubonic plague. Mostly found in elevations over 3000 feet, but it is endemic to the West, and still kill quite a few people every year. You can pick it up from fleas that live on coyotes, priarie dogs and bobcats, so be careful.

jtull7
12-17-2010, 11:45
Thanks kjm1016. My bubonic plague morphed into septicemic plague, which is usually always fatal. My doctors say I may be the only person in history to have survived septicemic plague. Quien sabe?

You might also wish to check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-obWOMxB9Hc

hagar
12-17-2010, 12:04
Thanks kjm1016. My bubonic plague morphed into septicemic plague, which is usually always fatal. My doctors say I may be the only person in history to have survived septicemic plague. Quien sabe?

You might also wish to check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-obWOMxB9Hc

I remember watching a show about this on the History or National Geography channel a couple of months ago. Glad you and your wife are still around, this is serious stuff.

My wife had septicema after a botched gallbladder operation when her liver ducts were not securely clamped, and she almost did not make it. Actually she was my fiance at the time, and the hospital kept me totally in the dark, would not discuss the case with me, and would not even tell me that she was transferred to the intensive ward when I came for a visit and she was missing from her room. Long story, but 18 days later she walked out alive.

jtull7
12-17-2010, 12:30
hagar, the Discovery Channel made a documentary about us a year or so ago that they keep airing.

Septicema is about as bad as it gets. I am happy your wife survived. Most do not.

Bilbo Bagins
12-17-2010, 13:10
I understand where Jtull7 is coming from but what about Eastern Coyotes. The seem to be a little bigger, they are taking out other rodent eating animals here like foxes and feral cats, and they can take down small whitetail deer.

Coyotes seem to be a rare sight East of the Mississippi 25 years ago, but now they are all over.

NHmike
12-17-2010, 18:45
Coyotes seem to be a rare sight East of the Mississippi 25 years ago, but now they are all over.

Yes sir!

Haldor
12-19-2010, 18:59
I know you have to be kidding..... bubonic plague & from a varmint, before go on, can you explain or post of one death within the 48states or the other 2 states or 3 if your Obama :upeyes:, related to this plague

In Jtull7's defense, hantavirus is a real threat out west and this is spread by rodents.

I have shot my share of yotes (I grew up in AZ), but I don't see them as being an evil thing in their place. Coyotes in the suburbs is a different issue. City dwellers won't take action and they lose all fear of man. They will kill your pets (right of the leash!) and have killed people.

The north-eastern coyotes are crossbreeding with wolves which makes them larger and more dangerous. The Canadian hiker that was killed in 2009 was most likely killed by a pair of coyote/wolf hybrids. I have no qualms about shooting them here in Ohio every chance I get.

Haldor
12-19-2010, 19:02
I understand where Jtull7 is coming from but what about Eastern Coyotes. The seem to be a little bigger, they are taking out other rodent eating animals here like foxes and feral cats, and they can take down small whitetail deer.

They have been known to take a full grown elk. A pack took my sister's German Shepherd a couple of years ago in Scottsdale AZ. They sent a female in to lure him into an ambush (my sister saw it happen, but couldn't intervene in time). Very smart animals, don't underestimate them and whatever you do don't try to run from them (that can trigger an attack).

iluv2viddyfilms
12-26-2010, 03:36
kjm:

My wife and I had the bubonic plague.

Check out:

www.johnandlucinda.com

Also check out:

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/PDF/wk/mm5231.pdf

That's me, Bubba.

And, I hope you apologize for your demeaning remarks, Sir.

Wow. Great photos and presentation to the website. That's amazing that you survived it and even odd that it was contracted, as you think of the bubonic plague as a middle ages thing that is long gone. Too bad it's still surviving. Kudos to you sir for taking a bad thing and it making you stronger.

DocwithGlock
01-16-2011, 15:03
WOW jtull7, I'm very glad you survived!!! That is some serious stuff.

There are many diseased that people don't think can affect them, and are usually localized to certain geographic areas. Lyme disease is getting more common (or simply more diagnosed, but that's another story) in the northeast. I'm not sure how much of an affect a larger coyote population might prevent that, or prevent any other diseases around here, but there are quite a few sheep, goat, and other farms around. I know they can and do take a good bit of livestock. I also understand that if the numbers of coyotes go down, there can be an increase in other critters that may damage crops and transmit some diseases.

What I do know for certain is there are some mighty big coyotes around strafford county nh!! I have seen a few that looked more like wolves than coyotes, and I have seen tracks that were huge (by eastern coyote standards). I had done a good bit of coyote hunting in PA, TX, and FL, but these buggers have surprised me with their size since I moved here last year.

I plan on getting out for some coyote hunting soon. I hear the farmers in my area shooting all the time (a lot at night). Hopefully I can get permission to hunt them on their private land in the near future.

Lt Scott 14
01-20-2011, 20:06
Coyotes got into my neighbors hen house and killed 18 chickens before anyone heard it. The howling/yelping caused a couple more to show up, more dead chickens. He called me over in the am and it looked like a Charles Manson movie, it is now open season for coyotes, on any on his property. Neighbor had a bolt rifle, iron sites. He has since bought an AR15, 30rd mags and now is scoped, locked and loaded.

2 weeks ago, the Wiley coyotes killed a fawn deer and consumed everything except the hooves. This was less than a 1/4 mile from the cow barns. We were checking the fences and found the drag marks and blood trail. Needless to say he doesn't want Wiley near those cow barns, so we are patroling on atvs to locate the group. No luck yet, but they are hungry and killing more than rats and smaller animals. We believe that it a group of 3-5 Wileys out there. Will advise all later.

BikerRN45
01-20-2011, 22:12
Instead of using a call, find some ol' gal with a newborn baby.

Put the baby under a tree and set back and wait. The 'yotes will come to you.

Biker

jtull7
01-20-2011, 23:19
Biker, I don't think that you are going to be very popular around GT.

For that ignorant post to be your 9th post, you are not starting out so hot.

If you were just kidding, I apologize.

BikerRN45
01-21-2011, 03:05
Biker, I don't think that you are going to be very popular around GT.

For that ignorant post to be your 9th post, you are not starting out so hot.

If you were just kidding, I apologize.

Ask me if I care.

I coyote hunt, and yes, I use a baby, or an electronic recording of one crying and it works very well. I prefer the real thing, but don't always have a newborn rugrat around to use.

NHmike
01-27-2011, 20:41
Well boys, we are smack dab in the middle of winter. We have a LOT of snow and even the squirrels are far and few between. I have not been hunting not have I even got my tags this year. Anyone doing well with the Coyotes?

I figure a season or two off (due to time) and I will go back at em with a clear head and some new tricks up my sleeve.

rfb45colt
01-30-2011, 10:25
Well boys, we are smack dab in the middle of winter. We have a LOT of snow and even the squirrels are far and few between. I have not been hunting not have I even got my tags this year. Anyone doing well with the Coyotes?

I figure a season or two off (due to time) and I will go back at em with a clear head and some new tricks up my sleeve.

Only been out one time, and had no luck. I prefer to hunt on frozen lakes at night, under a full moon, and it's just been too fricken cold this month. It goes below zero just about every night... unless it's cloudy & snowing, which means no visibility. :dunno: We can't sit too long in that kind of cold. We're waiting for it to warm up some. The snow is piling up (almost knee deep), and it's now snowshoe time.

SCkillinandgrillin
02-17-2011, 09:59
In south carolina there are starting to really effect our deer hunting.Nobody will hunt them and most people i have talked thie year over half didnt take shots at them when the y saw them deer hunting.I DONT WANT TO MESS MY HUNT UP.lol ifwe dont start killing them we wont have any deer to hunt.

CanyonMan
03-18-2011, 08:55
Ask me if I care.

I coyote hunt, and yes, I use a baby, or an electronic recording of one crying and it works very well. I prefer the real thing, but don't always have a newborn rugrat around to use.

Your one sick puppy man....

CM

wolves1
04-09-2011, 17:37
Is your IQ even in double digits?